Xbox 360 RROD

Reaction score
SOOOOOOO here's how it all began!

My brother last year had his console RROD so he sent it in. Microsoft sent his old one back with a new console, guess they couldn't fix t. SOOO he says if I can fix it I can have it. Recently a friend was moving away and HIS Xbox had also RROD and he said the same thing. SO I try my brothers first, no luck, still RROD after I do the xclamp fix. I try my friends, and it works. BUUUUT he failed to mention he had flashed to DVD-ROM to play games on DVD-R's so when i tried to connect to Xbox Live it was promptly banned. SO back to my brothers; it reapply thermal compound, put the heatsinks on a little looser this time since that's what i ended up doing to my buddies when it wouldn't stop RROD after the first time coming on after doing the fix, and VOILA! it no longer RROD's BUT it does give me an E76 error, which as far as I can tell is unfixable by me.

SO I've bought an Xbox off of ebay that the guy said he tried to xclamp fix and it didn't fix the RROD but I'm willing to try it. If it doesn't work I might take drastic measures involving Wal-Mart, a new Xbox, and a visit to customer service ;)

good news about the ebay Xbox, it has HDMI, the others didn't! w00t! here's to it working!

I am lucky never to have had my HDMI 360 RROD on me in the last 3 years or so. I am selling it back later this month to afford games for other systems coming out in March. It treated me well but has used up its usefulness thanks to my new PC.

huntingbear, never throw good money after bad.

don't worry, i value my money. i'm confident i can fix this xbox as opposed to buying a new one which i can't afford.

but thanks for the vote of confidence anyway

I know you know what you're doing, but I wouldn't tell the world about your planned adventures at Wal-Mart.

If a tree falls in the forest...

How does MS detect hacked consoles anyway? You might be able to swap out parts to get one fully working non-banned one.

I know you know what you're doing, but I wouldn't tell the world about your planned adventures at Wal-Mart.

If a tree falls in the forest...

How does MS detect hacked consoles anyway? You might be able to swap out parts to get one fully working non-banned one.

i'm not sure how they detect stuff but switching out any parts is very difficult. Much harder than buying another console suffering from RROD with all original parts and trying to fix it.

I know if you add another fan to the console you'll be banned probably cause they can read what voltages the board is outputting. They will ban the console if you modify the DVD-ROM drive firmware so it will play DVD-R burned games. They will ban the console if you switch out the DVD-ROM for a different one because it apparently has a key written to it that has to match the one hard copied into the board. They're pretty sneaky and i think it's all pretty shitty.

I can understand them not wanting us to modify the console for hacking but at least let us void our warranty if we want and let us change out bad parts for new parts ourselves.

For example say the HDD of my Xbox 360 died and I need a new one. I could either open up the HDD enclosure (which is VERY easy) and put this in
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136373
$49.99

OR buy a new one from Microsoft already in the enclosure and probably a shitty Seagate drive
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360harddrive120GB/default.htm
$149.99

that's a $100 plastic HDD enclosure.....doesn't get any dumber than that.

/rant

I had my 360 for 2.5 years, used almost every day.

Then I got a RROD. It came and went.

Submited to Microsoft and they agreed to recieve it as it was bought in a time that there were known problems, just gave them my serial number and they confirmed it.

Sent it off, 2 weeks later recieved it back, same 360.

Report showed they had replaced the CPU, the GPU, the motherboard and the DVD Drive. All for free.

Was so impressed, a few months later I traded it in with about 20 games for a PS3...

i'm not sure how they detect stuff but switching out any parts is very difficult. Much harder than buying another console suffering from RROD with all original parts and trying to fix it.

I know if you add another fan to the console you'll be banned probably cause they can read what voltages the board is outputting. They will ban the console if you modify the DVD-ROM drive firmware so it will play DVD-R burned games. They will ban the console if you switch out the DVD-ROM for a different one because it apparently has a key written to it that has to match the one hard copied into the board. They're pretty sneaky and i think it's all pretty shitty.

I can understand them not wanting us to modify the console for hacking but at least let us void our warranty if we want and let us change out bad parts for new parts ourselves.

For example say the HDD of my Xbox 360 died and I need a new one. I could either open up the HDD enclosure (which is VERY easy) and put this in
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136373
$49.99

OR buy a new one from Microsoft already in the enclosure and probably a shitty Seagate drive
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360harddrive120GB/default.htm
$149.99

that's a $100 plastic HDD enclosure.....doesn't get any dumber than that.

/rant

I agree completely. There's also the $100 wi-fi adapter, the $30 512mb memory card (coupled with a console patch that effectively bans superior, cheaper 3rd party cards - not to mention I just bought a $30 16GB USB flash drive off of Amazon), and the $50/year to play online. I'm probably forgetting something.

I can't stand that kind of thing. It's the same deal with Apple limiting what you can get on an iPod/Touch/Phone by banning competing services and charging inordinate prices for theirs. MS adopted the exact same business model with the 360.

But more on topic, are you sure it's a good idea to purchase broken consoles that someone else already failed to fix? I mean even if you do fix it, it'll probably only last 6 months to a year before it's dead for good ... might just be better to bight the bullet and buy a new one where the design fault will hopefully have been fixed.

Back