Xbox360 mod released

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
first xbox360 mod for oblivion released on Live marketplace: Horse Armor

"Major Nelson reports that the first mod for Oblivion has made it's way to XBox Live. The horse armor mod is now available to download for a premium price of 200 points."

"This will cost you 200 points ($2.50?), and is only available in US, Canada, Great Britain, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, Australia and New Zealand."

http://www.majornelson.com/2006/04/03/pimp-your-oblivion-ride/

out of principle alone I wouldnt buy this mod ..give me mounted combat to go along with it but it seems silly to spend real money on something that has little use

What's the real point of horse armor unless you have a horse like Shadowmere that actually fights along side you?

Looks I suppose...

I thought that as well then I realised who would I be trying to impress in a single player game by having new armor? at least in a MMO it has purpose

give us mounted combat!!!!! screw the pretty dress up costumes I want to cleave people's skulls in two as I gallop past them

no idea ...but I cant see why they would ...should be simple enough to mod (I'm guessing as I have no construction set experience) dont see why the community couldnt do it

Intresting. I await offical PC patches/mods soon.

TBH I'd prefer armour made by the developers rather than a bedroom coder.

Reginald said:

I'll dl the free version thankyouverymuch

CptStern said:
I'll dl the free version thankyouverymuch

Yeah, obviously free is much better, but only if the quality's good.

ya but it's free ...xbox360 owners have no choice ..it's either pay for it or do without ...also the community will creat things that the developer either doesnt have the time or the desire to create ...bethesda may believe that mounted combat is best suited for a future expasion whereas the community may just take it on for the hell of it (I'm using mounted combat as an example, I have no idea if it can modded in)

I'd pay for extra quests, or possibly for more items to collect, but not just for horse armour. I also have no problem at all with paying for extra content, it just has to be decent.

Reginald said:
Yeah, obviously free is much better, but only if the quality's good.
Yeah and you'd be suprised at some of the community mods quality. Plus if you want to touch up the quality, you can do it yourself!! OMG!!

Reginald said:
Don't diss bedroom coders, they're the reason counterstrike exists - not to mention many other MODS which deserve more recognition than 90% of games currently being released.

Agreed...Bedroom coders are the reason for a lot of great stuff, just because they don't have a corporate affiliation doesn't make them incompetent.

I think this horse armour purchase thing is cynically evil behaviour on someone's part. Much like the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion mobile phone game. Whoever dreamt that up exhales evil as they inhale money.

If they can get horse combat going i'd pay for that though, even on PC....wait...no...they really should have brought that in from the start, i lied, I wouldn't pay for any mod like this, or like that.

I have no idea, I was just going by what was written in the article

If I cared much about the horses in the first place I would consider this. Or maybe if there were a mod that would allow mounted combat and spells and such, but as of now, I think I'll pass. And to pay for it?! I have always said that microtransactions are an insidious way of bilking folks out of more cash than they realize. No more fleecing please. MS has enough money now, right? :p

My friend was trying to convince me that Oblivon XBOX-360 would have it best for MODs, bragging about downloadable content and such. He was even trying to tell me that PC MODs would be made available for the 360, which I couldn’t help but laugh at. I told him that the only MODs available for the 360 version would be the official ones and that you’d have to pay for all of them.

Since installing MODs, I’d have to say my gameplay experience on the PC has vastly improved. While I wish Bethseda the best, I’m of the opinion that most of these supposed 360-MODs will just be attempts to fleece some spare cash – again and again.

I was reading the 360 forum. People bitching about how the PC gamers get free mods..... Morons.. All of them...

PC > every console ever.

TheMastahC, depends on the game in question, I could never see myself playing Super Mario 64 on a PC ffs..
But w/e, let's not turn this into a PCers vs Consolers thread, I myself like and enjoy both platforms equally, although when it comes to PC gaming I play mostly old games, I've played a couple of hundreds abandonware games now.:)
The late 80s-mid 90s were the best years for PC gaming.. heck.. even for gaming overall imo..

On a sidenote, if anyone here wants another good open-ended RPG and knows how to run DosBOX, you really should check out Darklands, great and very ambitious RPG..

Found on Tes Forums. - No release yet I don't think.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Forum Thread: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=325371&st=0

Let the games begin (when released). Now I want lances!

Kyo said:
Found on Tes Forums. - No release yet I don't think.
Hahaha! Yeah, did you actually read the thread in question? ITS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE. It is a glitch in the game where you can bind a weapon, mount a horse, then when the bound weapon disappears, your original weapon will appear in your hand supposedly. Its an April Fools joke, but one that might be considered as a starting place for modders to get this done for real.

I question why though. Melee combat would be completely impractical on horseback--its easier just to get off. I guess spells and ranged weapons would work, but do you turn independently of your horse? I can't remember. A system like Zelda's would work nicely....

TheMastahC said:
I was reading the 360 forum. People bitching about how the PC gamers get free mods..... Morons.. All of them...

PC > every console ever.

we will pay for official mods as well

hope that guy gets mounted combat working ...I'm ok with just firing a bow from the saddle if that's all he accomplishes

horse armor released

https://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductList.aspx?SubCategoryId=1

new mods coming:

Orrery - DLC2: Harness the power of the stars. Rebuild the defiled Orrery and unlock the secrets of this Mages Guild Inner Sanctum.

Wizard's Tower: In the frozen mountains of Cyrodiil stands Frostcrag Spire, a tower of wonders for your magic-oriented character to call home.

all $1.99

https://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductList.aspx?SubCategoryId=1

apparently they're for pc as well but I cant confirm that

boglito said:
I know very little about live marketplace, but don't you earn points just by playing games?
As per http://www.achieve360points.com/game/46 when it comes to oblivion?

.bog.
No, you most certainly do not. The 'Achievement Points' are just shitty little points you get for doing things in a game to show that you are 'better' than other people. They have as much use a forum post count

Ugh. I am not liking these microtransactions at all. You buy like 20 of them and you have the full price of a game! And if they're all horse armor or one more small dungeon to explore it just doesn't make sense to me.

There will be plenty of free mods for the Oblivion PC community to download in the coming months and years, so why pay for small amounts of exclusive content now? The fleecing of America (and the rest of the world really) and people are just too dumb to see it and so it will keep growing as long as there are people to feed into it (and for the sellers to keep feeding on).

(Take into consideration when reading the following that I haven't played Oblivion past level 1) played it on my brother's PC.

Hmm, really not sure about this.

Codemasters had a thing for Collin McRae Rally where you would pay for the code to unlock the vehicles. Like paying for a cheat code!

You know, I buy 1 or 2 games a year, and I bought Oblivion. When I buy a game, it's because it's the only game I want to play. If a game is really sweet like that then wouldn't you want as much as you can get? Pay a dollar for a new character class or something? Sure OK.

If thats what these smaller software companies need to do to stay from going bankrupt than what can you say? I mean just because their game is finished and is released, now what? What do all the Bethesda programmers do now? Get fired? They might not exactly start working on Oblivion 2 because they don't know if their game is successful yet. They won't start making a new game engine because the technology isn't there yet.

Anyway, It doesn't bother me. If I get to the point where I want more content, and it's worthy of 1 or $2, then so be it. It's not a lot of money. I smoke $4 a day in cigarettes, effectively burning money in order to die sooner. If they can give me something that I will like for a couple dollars than OK.

But they are going to have to do better than Armor for the horse. Hell I can do that with the editor and paint shop.

To it's credit I haven't seen what it looks like or what benefit it has yet, but I do agree I feel like whats the point of this? Why not just use the editor to make your horse have more health or whatever. Paying to cheat is lame as hell. Why should some have an advantage if they pay extra. Just seems unofficial and cheat-like.

New content, new characters, new monsters, something new with the game play would be right-on.

Veotax said:
No, you most certainly do not. The 'Achievement Points' are just shitty little points you get for doing things in a game to show that you are 'better' than other people. They have as much use a forum post count

Heh, that is really dumb. Ohwell.

.bog.

bethesda recouped it's money before release, they were paid by the publisher to make the game ..this is just a cash cow. it will become far more common for companies to create small mods and charge users for it ..it's extremely profitable and could eventually surpass game sales all together (episodic games) or games with skeleton content that sells premium content to be purchased later on

out of principle alone I will not buy cosmetic changes to my game ...I'm hesitant to use user created mods why would I pay for simple cosmetic ones that add no real value to the game? ...like I said, give me mounted combat to go with horse armor or new quests/areas etc ...but cosmetic changes are stupid ..especially in a single player game where no one will see your spiffy new armor

With this coming out so soon after the release I can't help but wonder why they didn't just include it as a feature in the actual game?

edit: Oh. The monies.

It's like a double edged sword.

You want your game to be "complete" with all the additions. But paying money just seems to negate the novelty.

The worst thing is that I have money to spare with nothing else to spend it on. I think I'd be more likely to spend money on the two as-yet unreleased ones which appear to include new levels/quests.

stick your $1.99 into <insert charity here> collection box at your local retailer ...or better yet give it a person in need ..dont support this cash cow unless you actually WANT what's being offered

CptStern said:
stick your $1.99 into <insert charity here> collection box at your local retailer ...or better yet give it a person in need ..dont support this cash cow unless you actually WANT what's being offered

Deal. XD Sounds like a much better option.

CptStern said:
/me takes out $1.99 + $.01 out of wallet.
/me places $1.99 + $.01 in wallet.
My favorite charity! :)

If they modify the entire Oblivion so that the only leveled-creatures/items are comparable to that in Morrowind - preferably difficulties from level 1 to level 40 (at least). That's something I'd pay for. Make unique items truly unique and exceedingly difficult to find/get.

Modders are making valiant attempts to reduce the problem, but you'd have to manually change the entire game (every quest reward, every duengon, every important NPC enemy, etc) which would take a lot of time and thought to do appropriately.

*UPDATE*

heh people are freaking about the cheesy mod from bethesda so they responded ...sounds a little irate but maybe they should have offered something more useful for the first mod download ...oh and another reason why people are pissed off at bethesda: the pc version of the horse armor mod is $.50 cheaper than the xbox360 version ...I think it'll be even cheaper than that when someone uploads it to the internet

1up said:
Two days ago, you would have been strung up for criticizing Bethesda Softworks and their epic RPG, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but the tide has turned after the company released their first pay-to-play downloadable content on Xbox Live for Xbox 360 owners and through their website for PC players.

Bethesda kicked off the planned series of content releases with two pieces of optional armor for player's in-game horses, charging $2.50 for Xbox 360, $1.99 for PC. Gamers showed a marked enthusiasm for microtransactions when Microsoft first announced the idea, but two pieces of cosmetic armor for the price of anywhere from 3-4% of what players paid for the original game (depending on which version and platform) didn't rub fans the right way.

"I am going to pay a "premium" for a nifty hat?" said 1UP user Ryan Kaplan, aka Tylahedras. "I don't like the idea that if I want to color Master Chief white in Halo 3 multiplayer I will need to shell out even more cash. Doesn't anyone else see that this micropayment crap will lead to incomplete games?"

Some gamers agreed the download was a rip-off, but were tired of hearing the bitching about content that isn't forced on players. "You can complain and whine all you want but it all comes down to this. If you don't like this idea then don't buy this its that simple," said DeShawn Cole, otherwise known as XtremeGmr4life. "Maybe if you don't purchase it the prices will lower or even better become free."

Bethesda is a very user-oriented company, so you can bet they were paying attention when the Internet decided to start throwing a deluge of complaints in their face. Right now, though, the company isn't about to change their plans because fans aren't happy with the only piece of bonus content they've released so far.

"We're not going to make any knee-jerk decisions based on it [the armor] being available for five hours. We'll see what folks think and put out a few others we have planned and figure out where to go from there," says VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines. "Some folks seem excited and are already using it, others don't want it. Maybe those folks will really want the Orrery, or the Wizard's Tower. We'll see when they come out and use that info to determine what we put out, how much, etc."

We're not going to make any knee-jerk decisions based on it [the armor] being available for five hours.
When asked to elaborate on what players can expect from the teased Orrery or Wizard's Tower releases, they wouldn't comment, only promising more information should be released shortly. From their comments, though, don't be surprised if the next release isn't a little more substantial than two pieces of armor to avoid further player complaints.

The real question on fan's minds, though, is why Bethesda is charging in the first place. With The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Bethesda released additional content developed in-house for free, and the Xbox received a Game of the Year edition that included two expansion packs for only $19.99. With Oblivion, however, the company doesn't appear to be planning any free content.

There's a reason for that, they say, and the reasoning appears to fall on the cost of development. "Different game, different approach to downloadable content and the size and scope of things we want to do, and what it takes to do them," says Hines.

As for players believing they can beat the system by recreating Bethesda's in-house bonus content using PC modification tools, the company says they will not allow anyone to "straight copy" what they release, and mentioned again future content will be more than horse armor, so it will be easy to spot players acting suspect.

The bottom line, though, is players are definitely upset about the handling of microtransactions here. There was less backlash when Microsoft released Kameo: Elements of Power costumes because there was less feverish enthusiasm behind the game; if anything, the complaints are backhanded compliment, but they might not stay that way if the next release is a nothing more than a "nifty hat."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149299

Back