Yahoo G.D. HL2 preview

also did you all notice at the start when u come of the train.. the stuff on the floor moves to the reaction of the wind!! sooo sweet

Yup, I wish I hadnt played the leak, I know what happens next :(

Strangely enough the passengers doesnt cast shadows while on the train?

If your inside and its daytime, you don't really cast that much of a shadow anyway.

Edit: Watched it again, and its funny how they have no shadows in the train but they have shadows further into the trainstation.

The lack of shadows on every item (except the physic objects ; humans, bucket in the end room and suitcases) is alot more worrying.

azz0r said:
The lack of shadows on every item (except the physic objects ; humans, bucket in the end room and suitcases) is alot more worrying.

Isn't there a post from a Valve employee somewhere that says real-time shadows can be enabled / disabled? Obviously, they've been disabled.

thx alot m8, I am downloading right now. :)

Sashswash said:
Isn't there a post from a Valve employee somewhere that says real-time shadows can be enabled / disabled? Obviously, they've been disabled.

Why, ? valve should left it on, so we can decide which card to buy. I know ati wins the race but Why its off ?

ship said:
So far, we only have the BINKs posted in this topic, THESE, and one other which is a compilation of a few gameplay clips which can be found HERE.

Hope that helps. :)

And if I missed out on any, hopefully someone can correct me.
Thanks alot these links helped me very much :thumbs: :thumbs: :bounce:

azz0r said:

The fact that you notice this AND are worried by this, is far more worrying ;p

I did not even notice this, because I was stunned at the amazing visuals i was seeing.

I think doom3 messed up people's minds and now they think that unless the screen is 75% (or more) shadow, then it's not an accurate representation of real life. I'm looking around my room now, it's morning and there aren't that many shadows really. So it's fine.

The train is a model and it looks like shadows are only cast onto world surfaces.

In rooms with a high level of ambient light, you won't find many shadows with hard edges. Just variations in lux. I'd be more worried if I saw somebody stood next to a spotlight and not casting a shadow.

yahoo! Nice find!!!

EDIT: BTW whatever happened to the E32004 binks? :hmph:

Kiva128 said:
I think doom3 messed up people's minds and now they think that unless the screen is 75% (or more) shadow, then it's not an accurate representation of real life. I'm looking around my room now, it's morning and there aren't that many shadows really. So it's fine.
i know what you mean. i cant help but think people are crazy when they watch that incredible footage (gameplay aside, which without a doubt is the best thing around) and look for a couple insignificant shadow bugs. plus, one possibility is this: unless im wrong, i didnt notice anything that was "changed," like the man being swapped for a woman in the flat scene. so perhaps this isnt being run with new and improved source content, just how we viewed it around e3. so i suggest everyone looking at shadow bugs to relax. this game will rock.

Little Offtopics here, but a few weeks ago Yahoo put up the Vampire Masqu... videos. One was you fighting the stone Gargoyle, you could fight him by going up on the sidewalk, but he would hit it and eventually it crumbled away totally - realistically I might add (through physics).

What Im wondering is can we create a room, then set it to a physics item + Destructable and have a realistic destruction on rooms (Red Faction like).

Thoughts?

azz0r said:
Little Offtopics here, but a few weeks ago Yahoo put up the Vampire Masqu... videos. One was you fighting the stone Gargoyle, you could fight him by going up on the sidewalk, but he would hit it and eventually it crumbled away totally - realistically I might add (through physics).

What Im wondering is can we create a room, then set it to a physics item + Destructable and have a realistic destruction on rooms (Red Faction like).

Thoughts?

As Gabe would say, "It could be modded." ;)

i watched the bink and i noticed two things that i found different to the E32004 video.

a) as gordon (you) walk through the interogation corridor you can see that the combines head now 'bobs'... kinda like a bird or something. it really threw me off and i really hope the finished game doesn't have that :(

b) the man who gordon see's through a peephole in the corridor says the line

"i got a standard relocation 'coupon' just like everybody else"

but in the original video i beleive he said

"i got a standard relocation 'order' just like everybody else"

but other then that, kick ass bink, i didn't even notice the shadow thing... except.. now that i think about it.. as you follow the combine down the dim corridor it looks subtley different then the e3 vid. hmm, i'm a little confused... but if any of you want to compare the two go ahead! :D

NeonSpyder said:
i watched the bink and i noticed two things that i found different to the E32004 video.

a) as gordon (you) walk through the interogation corridor you can see that the combines head now 'bobs'... kinda like a bird or something. it really threw me off and i really hope the finished game doesn't have that :(
that is from the combine uniform. he is wearing what appears to be armor of some sort, and it would move like that if someone were wearing rigid aromor with a full helmet/mask.

I thought the dudes in the suits were 'Metrocops', they're different to the Combine, are they not?

NeonSpyder said:

b) the man who gordon see's through a peephole in the corridor says the line

"i got a standard relocation 'coupon' just like everybody else"

but in the original video i beleive he said

"i got a standard relocation 'order' just like everybody else"

but other then that, kick ass bink, i didn't even notice the shadow thing... except.. now that i think about it.. as you follow the combine down the dim corridor it looks subtley different then the e3 vid. hmm, i'm a little confused... but if any of you want to compare the two go ahead! :D

I went over the old E3 vids and the new binks, and it seems like both are the same.

The helmet/armor bobbing is very slight in the videos but it's there, I guess with the binks it shows up a lot clearer.

Also the interogation guy does say 'coupon' in the E3 videos, not 'order.'

The metrocops are Combine police (black and white uniforms), and then you have the seemingly more heavily armed and armoured Combine Soldiers (Blue patterned).

And above them, presumably, those powersuit-wearing fellows that have been mentioned in several previews, but never seen in a screenshot or footage.

Brian Damage said:
The metrocops are Combine police (black and white uniforms), and then you have the seemingly more heavily armed and armoured Combine Soldiers (Blue patterned).

And above them, presumably, those powersuit-wearing fellows that have been mentioned in several previews, but never seen in a screenshot or footage.

Are the combine soldiers are those guys in black armour and mask - who Gordon was fighting with in the E3 2004 video? (the wooden shed near the cliff, after the buggy ride)

here is a screen of them:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=65

They edited out the guy in the trashcan.
My word is law.
*Shuzer cries himself to sleep in the corner of the room

Gorgon said:
thx alot m8, I am downloading right now. :)

Why, ? valve should left it on, so we can decide which card to buy. I know ati wins the race but Why its off ?

Nobody knows, why did VALVe release those screenies that looked like pure shit later this year? :)

Brian Damage said:

Speculation about Brians spoiler above, no real fact:

Yeah, I've heard about them to. Damn scary, if I remember correctly they chased him down a corridor, he closed and blocked the door with the manipulator and that thing smashed through the door.

Shuzer said:
They edited out the guy in the trashcan.
My word is law.
*Shuzer cries himself to sleep in the corner of the room
*pats Shuzer on the back*

It'll be alright, son, it'll be alright...

Sparta said:
If your inside and its daytime, you don't really cast that much of a shadow anyway.

Edit: Watched it again, and its funny how they have no shadows in the train but they have shadows further into the trainstation.

My question to you is, how the hell do you know it's daytime? It could be either dusk or dawn, I doubt it's night though.

lans said:
Are the combine soldiers are those guys in black armour and mask - who Gordon was fighting with in the E3 2004 video? (the wooden shed near the cliff, after the buggy ride)

here is a screen of them:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screens.html?page=65

Yes, those guys, though in other, closer shots you can see that they actually have mostly blue suits with some yellow striping.

moppe said:
Speculation about Brians spoiler above, no real fact:

Yeah, I've heard about them to. Damn scary, if I remember correctly they chased him down a corridor, he closed and blocked the door with the manipulator and that thing smashed through the door.

Yeah, but not before it had checked out his location with a camera on a stalk. Now THAT'S AI...

Back