Yellow belt :D

repiV

Tank
Reaction score
Just felt like sharing. I had my jiu jitsu yellow belt grading today, a culmination of four months' hard training...

Probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do (physically at least). A two hour ordeal which starts with a brutal warmup leaving you knackered for when you actually have to show off your best stuff. If that isn't enough, the pressure of four senior grades closely evaluating everything you do doesn't help the nerves either.

Then it moves straight into demonstrating all the rolls and breakfalls, which is my weak point anyway, and the incessant repetition of them is very tiring. Forwards/sideways/backwards rolls from standing and kneeling, diving over a person into a forward roll and a couple of other things which are too complicated to explain concisely.

As soon as you're done with that, everyone gets paired up and you have to demonstrate every single wristlock, armlock and throw in the syllabus to this point on each other over and over again. Utterly exhausting, only sheer strength of will kept me through that - and irritating because I have very good technique but it all went out the window because I was so shattered.

Then demonstration of forms (basically patterns of stances/steps etc) which is is a welcome respite, however I managed to semi-dislocate my shoulder doing the punching drill (I have weak shoulders, physio obviously hasn't been as effective as I had hoped).

Had to then take it in turns to do a grab circle, where you stand in the middle and defend against attackers doing various grabs/strangles and throw them. And the V, where you defend against a relentless wave of attackers who you have to throw onto the ground, and a new one comes at you every four or five seconds regardless of whether you've dealt with the last one. All the while the grading panel are yelling at you to put you under pressure.

I carried on with these despite the shoulder, which hopefully won me a few points, but was banned from attacking in them. I felt like collapsing at the end of the V as it was so tiring and I wasn't the only one. One of the girls practically had an asthma/panic attack.

Our style is renowned for being especially demanding and I can definitely see why now. Even though I've lost nearly two stone since I started back in January, I felt way out of my depth today (although to an extent, I think that's the point).

I definitely feel like I've earned the belt, which is the main thing. Now to ignore the temptation to celebrate with some kind of takeaway...

^^ Nice.

I have my black belt in Karate, started off doing Goju-Ryu then halfway we switched to the Okinawan style. Gradings weren't nearly as physically demanding as what you're describing though which is why I quit a year after I got my black...it was simply too boring.

I'd really love to get into Muay-Thai because I heard the training is intense and it looks like it would be extremely effective in a real fight.

Keep going and good luck with the rest of your gradings man.

Congratulations on becoming a Jarate Master!

Yeah the gradings can be rather intense, but I never saw them as anything to be nervous about. If you fail you'll be that much better prepared when the next one comes around, no biggie.

^^ Nice.

I have my black belt in Karate, started off doing Goju-Ryu then halfway we switched to the Okinawan style. Gradings weren't nearly as physically demanding as what you're describing though which is why I quit a year after I got my black...it was simply too boring.

Karate seems far too sanitised and form-based for me. Pretty much everything we practice is on/with someone else, and relatively open to interpretation. And jiu jitsu definitely isn't for everyone, it's tough, it's intense and injuries are common. I like that about it (at times I hate it...but again that's kinda the point).

It's one of those arts which varies wildly however...the major jiu jitsu organisations in the UK are known for being very challenging, whether this is the case where you are I have no idea.

I'd really love to get into Muay-Thai because I heard the training is intense and it looks like it would be extremely effective in a real fight.

I've heard the same. Give it a try! I want to do kendo at some point, it looks awesome.

Keep going and good luck with the rest of your gradings man.

Cheers. :)

Congratulations on becoming a Jarate Master!

I think I'm a way off that yet, but thanks!

Yeah the gradings can be rather intense, but I never saw them as anything to be nervous about. If you fail you'll be that much better prepared when the next one comes around, no biggie.

Ahh, but it just wouldn't do if the guys I started with got ahead of me. :)

I didn't feel like I was really ready for it, and I was slightly surprised when I passed. But then their expectations at this level are lower than you would think going into it.

I missed my bike group's annual summer ride to grade today so I would have been mightily pissed if I didn't pass!

Don't you have a robotic leg now? I believe that is considered cheating.

Good to hear repriV, sounds like a crackin sport. I've always wanted to try that israeli one.

There is more to winning than beating your opponent. You lack the Will of a Warrior.

a23ghv.jpgg

Man, I was going to mock you roundly because the two or three courses I used to go to would pretty much just give you a belt with your grading fee. Sounds like you really earned this one though, 'grats

Wow I just realized your name is Viper backwards.

Oh and congrats.

Holy shit, his name is viper backwards. It all makes sense now. Everything is falling into place.

Dude I never thought it was Viper backwards too, I just figured from the avatar it was some obscure car/jet-plane reference and if i asked about it I'd get a big heap of pretense thrown up in my face.

No, you'll get a Jujutsu move up your face.

And here I am waiting for Raziaar to post a screen from Bender's Game, with those guardian hobo guys.

Great job! I did six years of Tang Soo Do myself. The tests can be a lot more intense than the practices.

Good to hear repriV, sounds like a crackin sport. I've always wanted to try that israeli one.

Krav Maga? Supposed to be a good bet. In Belfast though do they actually have martial arts that don't involve the use of explosives? :)

Man, I was going to mock you roundly because the two or three courses I used to go to would pretty much just give you a belt with your grading fee. Sounds like you really earned this one though, 'grats

Cheers.

Wow I just realized your name is Viper backwards.

My secret is out. :(

Great job! I did six years of Tang Soo Do myself. The tests can be a lot more intense than the practices.

Yeah you could say that! Apparently in the black belt gradings in the V they attack you with chains, baseball bats, knives and all sorts.

Back