Yes, but is it art? Um, sure, why not?

Greatgat

Reaction score
So I was checking out Valve's website and reading the bios, and noticed they have a link to Viktor Antonov's wesite, http://www.vulkanbros.com. While checking out his art, (God, I hate navigating through artist's websites. They are so difficult. I suppose we could get into a discussion about art vs. function, but this is probably not the time.) I started wondering if we could maybe find inspiration into some of the locals and objects they use in HL2.

For instance, the picture called "Steam Spreader" seems like it probably influenced the moving gates the Citadel uses to apparently devour City 17. So I think that maybe other clues could be found in his other artwork to figure out some more of the unseen locals in HL2, maybe not so much in exact images, but maybe in it's general concepts as it is applied to the game.

So, I suppose my questions are, how much do you see in the videos and images released so far do you think are a direct influence of Viktor's work? Does his website make you more excited to see what other things he may have influenced in the unseen parts of the game? Also, do you think the art lead for the original HL, Harry Teasley, could have come up with something just as interesting (albeit different, of course) given the technology of the current engine?

Oh yes, and it's good to be posting to the forums that I have been reading for awhile. Good people, you are.

Evil^Milk said:
his art is scary, but i like it alot.

Ownzed said:
That's cool stuff

I suppose that helps increase your anticipation I take it. Mine too. I do like his art, and it increases the desire to see what else he has to offer even more.

Um, you guys are nuts.
That crane pic. The reason 'it reminds you' of the pic you posted, is because there is *gasp* a CRANE in that pic as well! Who would have thought that someone would invent something so abstract and original in their artwork, and then mysteriously, this strange invention made its way to Half-Life2!!!
Good deduction Mr. Holmes...

The art direction for HL was really nothing special, so I'm happy they got this guy.

I like the music on his website.

Well, there's definitely an industrial/dark future feel to both his art and the concept of the HL2 world. And, there's something a little disturbing in his art...I just imagine a whole world of industrial accidents and worker-eating machines.

It's a rusting, industrial amusement park, and it's creepy. Very creepy. And cool. Beautiful art. :cool:

Very, very nice find!

Look at the "Merrell Plant" picture, and hear the strange noise there also is in HL2.

That music is creepy. The pictures look creepy also. I like it. :)

His art is very detailed and good. Love it.

Wow. God I love it. Thats pritty much the best art i have ever seen! And the music too - it's extremly good!!!!

/Impressed

Wow. This is very cool! I love it. This is definatly some of the best art I've ever seen. Combined with the music, it really has soul.

damn ... thats some sweet painting action ... reminds me of hl2 environment ... just a little darker

Anyone notice the cables stretching from the buildings in pieces like Vulkan Panorama? Its rather reminiscent of the strange cables stretching from City 17 to the Combine Citadal.

Excellent artwork, though...

I can definatly see the similarities between his artwork and some of City 17's architecture.

that art is impressive. i love it. i wanted to print screen it and set it as my backround, but my new keyboard's print screen button is trying to send the screen to the actual printer.

Windmills. Most of the artwork have windmills somewhere on the pictures.

Count how many windmills you see in all the 2003/2004 movies.
I think the area where the windmills is most noticeable is traptown. Victors concept?

Back