You can drop a cat from the Eiffel tower and it will survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tiger is a member of the cat family. Somehow I doubt they would survive a fall from the Eiffel Tower.

Well, LIKE ****ING hell you need quantum physics you dip shizzle

all you need is the terminal velocity of ze pussy, falling if it survives that then it can survive any height

so thusly you really dont need to quantum physics to figure thi sout, only the need of finding the air reststance that cat causes, and thusly when you gain the equilibrium of the cats " resistance" equaling the speed its falling at giving the terminal velocity

definition of quantum physics

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...l&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:Quantum+physics

cats exist in our time frame/ phases if you will

simple forces motion stuff.....

I dropped a baby from the Eiffel Tower... It lived.

Of course it was made of lego. But I didn't really think about this thread topic, it's interesting to try but of course no one wants to risk the lives of cute cats :3

TheSomeone said:
ktimekiller said:
math doesnt equal everything someone. stop trying to make math = life threads, because it does not.]/quote]
I'm sorry?

Proffesional scientist who have studied the way cats work and why they land on their feet.
How about cutting off the cat's whiskers then dropping them. Since the cats whiskers give the animal its sense of balance. Then when you drop it, SPLAT!

I can Belive this, Have you ever seen a cat falling from a high place? Even if you drop them on their back before they hit the ground they will turn there self over and land on their feet.

TheSomeone said:
I derived it myself to test it out using quantum physics. It's really easy if you know any physics.
Oh shits, wouldn't that mean it would like, ****ign teleport before it even hit the ground of something, dunnit?

And, omg, anybody having flashbacks reading this thread?

Do that Monkey!! They will find a way to test it!

short recoil said:
It's possible for a human to land safely on relativley hard ground from any height if they go about it properly.
Well i could at least, just bend my knees at the right time and i'd be fine.

hey short recoil lets climb mount everest and go cliff diving ...you go first

what colour is the sky in your world?

Short Recoil, That was just plain Retarded of you to ask that question, Think before you post

Highest Fall Survived Without A Parachute
Vesna Vulovic, a flight attendant from Yugoslavia, survived a fall from 10,160 m (33,330 ft) when the DC-9 airplane she was traveling in blew up over Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic), on January 26, 1972. A terrorist bomb was thought to be the cause, and no other passengers survived. Vesna broke both legs and was temporarily paralyzed from the waist down.

Vesna remembers nothing, but later learned that a former nurse, Bruno Henke, saw Vesna's legs sticking out of the fuselage. Bruno cleared Vesna's airways before rushing her to hospital. Three days later she awoke from a coma in a hospital in Ceska, Karmenice.

She says, "I was so lucky to have survived! I hit the earth – not the trees, not the snow, but the frozen ground." Strangely, the first words she uttered, "Can I have a cigarette," were in English!

Luckily, she suffered no psychological trauma, and no fear of flying. Prevented from returning to her job, she forged a new career in administration. "I was able to fly over the world for free," she says. Her experience has helped her form a philosophical attitude towards life. "I believe we are masters of our lives - we hold all the cards and it is up to us to use them right."
Other cases:
In a 1942 paper, physiologist Hugh De Haven told of eight people who survived falls of 50 to 150 feet on dry land, many with only minor injuries. The common denominator: something to break the fall or soften the impact, such as loose dirt, the hood of a car, or, in one astonishing but verified case, an iron bar, metal screens, a skylight, and a metal-lath ceiling.
In 1963, U.S. Marine pilot Cliff Judkins's chute didn't open after he bailed out of his crippled fighter. He fell 15,000 feet into the Pacific, suffered numerous broken bones and a collapsed lung, but lived.
U.S. Army air force sergeant Alan Magee fell 20,000 feet from an exploding B-17 in 1943 and crashed through the skylight of a French train station. (A lesson emerges: Aim for the skylight.) Though his arm was shattered, he lived too.
Lieutenant I. M. Chisov of the former Soviet Union was flying his Ilyushin 4 on a bitter cold day in January 1942, when it was attacked by 12 German Messerschmitts. Convinced that he had no chance of surviving if he staged with his badly battered plane, Chisov bailed out at 21,980 feet. With the fighters still buzzing around, Chisov cleverly decided to fall freely out of the arena. It was his plan not to open his chute until he was down to only 1000 ft above the ground. Unfortunately, he lost consciousness en route. As luck would have it, he crashed at the edge of a steep ravine covered with 3 ft of snow. Hitting at about 120 mi/h, he plowed along its slope until he came to rest at the bottom. Chisov awoke 20 min later, bruised and sore, but miraculously he had suffered only a concussion of the spine and a fractured pelvis. Three and one-half months later he was back at work as a flight instructor.
Luckiest of all was RAF flight sergeant Nicholas Alkemade, who leaped from his burning bomber in 1944 without a parachute at 18,000 feet. After a 90-second plunge, he crashed through tree branches in a pine forest and landed in 18 inches of snow. His only injuries: scratches, bruises, burns, and, in some accounts, a twisted knee.
Then there the HowStuffWorks page about what to do if you're falling from 12,000 feet without a parachute.

Asus said:
...but won't the cat loose consciousness?
At last! Waiting for this post. Your fancy formulas and 'studying of physics' works for a situation that is constant with the same factors. Using a living organism will always change the situation. The cat being this organism would pass out within seconds of free fall from the tower, so getting on its feet would never happen. Also such height can disorientate it, make it dizzy and won't level itself out.

The cat would NOT survive within a chance. The terminal velocity is what did you say? 60mph, well a cat hitting the floor at that speed would shatter its legs, and possibly move its entire thorax into the ground too, breaking all its ribs, collapsing the lungs. The shock would probably paralyse the cat as it moves up its spine. So yes it may survive if it manages to not pass out, and land on its feet, but only for about 15 seconds, before it dies from a multitude of serious internal injuries. Great! Just because it lands on its feet it doesn't mean its completely indestructable. The cat will not survive. Do not try it either, because its blindly obvious.

there's a pic I saw awhile back that showed what happens to a person's legs when they fell from a height of 60 or so feet ...let me put it this way ..I couldnt tell where the knee was or ankle or thigh or anything else for that matter ..it was just a messy blob where the person's legs used to be

I havent read all of the thread, but why do you take the co-efficient to be 1, as you dont have the values of resultant or friction?

EDIT: and I think you modelled the cat as a particle

Hectic Glenn said:
At last! Waiting for this post. Your fancy formulas and 'studying of physics' works for a situation that is constant with the same factors. Using a living organism will always change the situation. The cat being this organism would pass out within seconds of free fall from the tower, so getting on its feet would never happen. Also such height can disorientate it, make it dizzy and won't level itself out.

The cat would NOT survive within a chance. The terminal velocity is what did you say? 60mph, well a cat hitting the floor at that speed would shatter its legs, and possibly move its entire thorax into the ground too, breaking all its ribs, collapsing the lungs. The shock would probably paralyse the cat as it moves up its spine. So yes it may survive if it manages to not pass out, and land on its feet, but only for about 15 seconds, before it dies from a multitude of serious internal injuries. Great! Just because it lands on its feet it doesn't mean its completely indestructable. The cat will not survive. Do not try it either, because its blindly obvious.
http://www.google.com/search?client...en&q=cat+terminal+velocity&btnG=Google+Search

Your point?

I saw a fascinating article recently about the terminal
velocity of falling cats, whose terminal velocity is 60 MPH. .

Terminal velocity for a cat is 60 miles per hour

Until a cat reaches terminal velocity, it will experience acceleration and tend
to reflexively extend its limbs, making it more susceptible to injuries. ...

so...yeah

and...

[Veterinarians] recorded the distance of the fall for 129 of the 132 cats. The falls ranged from 2 to 32 stories.... 17 of the cats were put to sleep by their owners, in most cases not because of life-threatening injuries but because the owners said they could not afford medical treatment. Of the remaining 115, 8 died from shock and chest injuries.

If a cat is packed in a cage with a load of others and thrown off the top of a truck in China it's legs usually shatter.

I learnt that from a PETA video so it must be true.
iconssh2wc.gif

4295a37ed2c60_1.jpg

kitty doesnt like it when you think of ways to kill it

CptStern said:
kitty doesnt like it when you think of ways to kill it

OMG! Thats Freakishly cute!

Oh and by the way... I've heard of cats that have sustained serious injuries just from short falls, even when landing on their feet. Apparently great at surviving falls, but not always.

The first one you posted was cuter, stern.

aw come on just look at his little face ..so darn cute

Vesna Vulovic, a flight attendant from Yugoslavia, survived a fall from 10,160 m (33,330 ft) *SNIP*

Isnt that the one they tested in Mythbusters? I think the only reason she lived is because she was strapped into a seat that was attached to a certain piece of the plane that sturdy enough (and had enough other things to absorb impact) to allow her to live. They couldnt recreate it though, so it was pure luck that she lived.

evil_20kitty_20bath.jpg

Definately cutest one evar!

nah we have manly names for our beer like Schooner, Formosa, Gargouille Blonde and Clancy's Amber Ale

Sparta ...one of our members

Blackghost905 said:
I sent this into Mythbusters, I hope they do this one!

There going to make a gel of a cat, haahaha. Or better yet, drop Buster's cat.

Sorry for the long post, but I came to the thread late and want to address certain posts individually. Let me start off by saying that I'm not sure that a cat CAN fall from any height, but the theory holds water. It all comes down to the truth of the two 60 mph statements (cat's terminal velocity and survivability at that speed), neither of which I can verify.

Erestheux said:
No. No it isn't. Force is the only thing that accelerates anything. Gravity is a form of force. Air resistance is also a form of force. Weight is actually the product of the mass of an object and a gravitational force. :)
Wight is measured in newtons (a unit of force), which can be subtracted from the upward force of the air to get the net downward accelerating force. Makes weight sound pretty force-like to me. And it's the product of the mass and a gravitational constant.
pomegranate said:
Okay seeing as some people seem too ****ing retarded to connect to clauses in seperate sentences, I will try and make things clearer: Mass makes no difference to terminal velocity.
Yes, higher mass will mean higher acceleration. But something lighter will eventually reach the same terminal velocity, it will just take longer than something heavier.
Re parachute: re-read my post idiot. One person with a parachute is not the same shape as 100 people on one parachute. Hence the latter will have different aerodynamic properties.
So are you saying that one person in a parachute would eventually reach the same terminal velocity as some theoretical same-sized person with the weight of 100 people? Hogwash.
Joims said:
Well, LIKE ****ING hell you need quantum physics you dip shizzle
It's easy to miss, but the quantum physics part had already been retracted.
Hectic Glenn said:

Don't be so sure about those facts. Do skydivers pass out all the time jumping from planes? No, they do just fine. Plus you must be susceptible to vertigo or something to assume that height would disorient a cat too. Cats are instinctually adept to dealing with falling, so I rule that one out. Finally I can't say I have full confidence that a cat can survive a 60 mph landing, but it doesn't strike me as being impossible either. From there it's simple logic. IF a cat can survive a 60 mph fall and IF its terminal velocity is in fact 60 mph, then it will survive a drop from any height (permitting atmospheric conditions of that height of course).

Aww what cute kittens. Time to load them on the plane! Here, Mittens! Plus the kitten in the glass would be a good test too. Can the cat get out of the glass before it hits the ground? Houdini-Cat attempts his greatest challenge ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back