Your Favorite Guitar Solo

Reaction score
Welcome to the Guitar Solo thread. Where you people get to happily post your favorite guitar solos.

My three current favorites are

Meshuggah - Closed Eye Visuals
4:26-5:24
Meshuggah - Acrid Placidity
1:16-3:16
Drowning Pool - Sermon
2:16-2:25
(So short.)

So yeah, go ahead and post your favorite solos. As long as it's not 40 years old, I'll be sure and give it a listen.

Yea all those crappy Guitar solo's from the 60's i can't think of one thats worth a listen..........except The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles and Led Zepellin..........CRAP!!!

Anyway

3:30-4.58 (Time, The Darkside of the Moon, Pink Floyd)
0:59-1:10( My Iron Lung, The Bends, RadioHead)
3:18-5:13(Light my Fire, The Doors, The Doors)
2:33-2:40(Drain You, Nevermind, Nirvana) This might be a riff, i like it either way

Guns 'n' Roses - November Rain

brink's said:
Yea all those crappy Guitar solo's from the 60's i can't think of one thats worth a listen..........except The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles and Led Zepellin..........CRAP!!!

I never said that. :p

It's just not my personal style of music is all. :)

DragonForce - My Spirit Will Go On; 4:20-6:14
DragonForce - Black Winter Night; 4:23-5:11

Dream Theater - Voices; 7:24-8:19
Dream Theater - Erotomania; 4:32-5:23
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison; more an instrumental, but it sounds effing awesome (as does the whole song) 9:43-11:05

And Eruption :p all of it but especially 0:57 onwards

Purina Hall of Fame by Propagandhi 3:30 - 4:10
Back to the Motor League by Propagandhi 2:05 - 2:20 (I like this one because he sings at the same time)

I don't have any times, but here are some songs:

The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
The Beatles - Yer Blues
Cream - I'm So Glad
Led Zeppelin - Rock & Roll
The Who - Eminence Front

Metallica - The Unforgiven
3:40 - 4:31

Based on the fact that it would feel the most awesome to play on stage infront of a load of people.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
4:32 - End

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Wachtower
Whole song practically.

really tough question

while not my fave these are probably the best solos:

in no particular order:

Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode, Maybelline
wish you were here - Pink Floyd
while my guitar gently weeps - Beatles (eric clapton, george harrison)
Communication Breakdown/black dog - Led Zeppelin
Crossroads - Eric Clapton/Cream
Paranoid - Black Sabbath Tony Iommi
Jimi Hendrix - Fire/all along the watchtower
the Who - Summer time blues, from Live at leeds concert
Jumping Jack Flash - Rolling Stones (Mick Taylor), Get your Ya Ya's out live album
Back in Black - Angus Young
Eddie Van Halen - you really got me
Ritchie Blackmore/Deep Purple - Highway star
Mark Knopfler - Sultans of Swing
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride and Joy

technical best:

Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Steve Howe, Joe Satriani, Muddy Waters, George Benson, Paco Delucia, Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Billy Gibbons, Frank Zappa, Duane Allman, Robert Johnson, Ry Cooder, Bo Diddley, T-Bone Walker (session player) etc

just recently, i like

elefant - gallery girl
oasis - champagne supernova
the strokes - i can't win
the strokes - ize of the world

any from the strokes actually, they're awesome.

deep down i have a spot in my heart for every metallica solo unforgiven and one being probobly the biggers spots

CptStern said:
technical best:

Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Steve Howe, Joe Satriani, Muddy Waters, George Benson, Paco Delucia, Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Billy Gibbons, Frank Zappa, Duane Allman, Robert Johnson, Ry Cooder, Bo Diddley, T-Bone Walker (session player) etc

I'd like to add Michal Angelo Batio + Joe Stump + Herman Li (dragonforce) + John Petrucci (dreamtheater) + Yngwie Malmsteen + John Hedley + Jason Becker

As far as solo's, right now my favorite is the song I just learned -

Dream Theater (John Petrucci) - Peruvian Skies

Not his most amazing long technical solo, but it just fits the song really well.

Oh, I don't know. Ummm, the solo in Dogs by Pink Floyd is a winner, though.

DUDE you like Meshuggah. You are my new best friend on hl2. Meshuggah rules and Im listening to them right now. Close Eyed Visuals is good. I would recommend getting Fredricks solo album.

Homless Snark said:
I'd like to add Michal Angelo Batio + Joe Stump + Herman Li (dragonforce) + John Petrucci (dreamtheater) + Yngwie Malmsteen + John Hedley + Jason Becker

As far as solo's, right now my favorite is the song I just learned -

Dream Theater (John Petrucci) - Peruvian Skies

Not his most amazing long technical solo, but it just fits the song really well.

I recognise Yngwie and Petrucci but not sure if I've heard the rest ..I'll look into thanks :)

SimonomiS: that was awesome :eek:

rAdIOhEaD said:
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Randy Rhodes - Mr. Crowley
Comfortably Numb is pretty frekin good. I think it is one of the best rock solos.

madog said:
DUDE you like Meshuggah. You are my new best friend on hl2. Meshuggah rules and Im listening to them right now. Close Eyed Visuals is good. I would recommend getting Fredricks solo album.

Yeah, Closed Eyed Visuals is my favorite song... ever...

Top Secret said:
Yeah, Closed Eyed Visuals is my favorite song... ever...
Ya, I wouldnt know about Meshuggah though if it werent for my friend, who has every album of theres and is pretty much the number one fan. Hell, every song of theres is awesome and so complicated. Superior to other forms of music.

Why the hell isn't AC/DC mentioned in this thread??

Let there be rock - 4 guitar solos, last one is around 5 minutes long.

Homless Snark said:
My ozzy guitarist history is a little fuzzy... it was Rhodes not Zakk Wylde?

Zak Wilde came in after Randy Rhodes passed away, but Randy was the really talented one, he had very advanced techniques for the time, and considering that he was just starting his career, he had one the greatest guitar solos in history, a pitty he died so young… ;(

dream431ca said:
Why the hell isn't AC/DC mentioned in this thread??

Let there be rock - 4 guitar solos, last one is around 5 minutes long.

I mentioned Angus

basically all of Jaws of Life by John Petrucci for me

In Too Deep - Sum 41

Can't remember the guys name but in the video he rises out of the pool and plays - sweet.

teh best solos ive heard are actually on a record i own of nothing but jimmy page, jeff beck and eric clapton just playing guitar togheter and solo

I don't listen to a lot of highly instrumental music like a lot of you do. Lots of pop-ish music by your standards, I suppose. But right now, my favorite solos and solo-ish riffs are:

Audioslave - Doesn't Remind Me
Muse - the entire bassline of Hysteria
Alexisonfire - the riffs from No Transitory, Counterparts And Number Them, and Sidewalk When She Walks

All I can really think of right now.

Nevermore - The River Dragon Has Come
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor

Theres more but don't feel like thinking.

Hendrix - Bold As Love.

The extended one where he plays live sometimes just rules.

Again, thanks Dog- for the laugh.

^Shut up! :( ^

I forgot about Hendrix - Purple Haze

Back