Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Tae Kwon Do

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Tai Chi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OTHER

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters
I think Capoeira is the coolest, it just looks so awesome being done. My buddy and I got interested in Capoeira from the game bust a move/groove which is a music game that has 2 aliens that do Capoeira.

ShadowFox said:
Wow.. all the brain cells being wasted here. Thanks for the explanation marksman. Can I have my three minutes back now?

NO!

/me adds those 3 minutes to his own life!

Muahahhahahhaha MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!

Cough! Ahem!

Combato

Ok, thats not the actual name, but I can't remember it. Its what they tought to British and Canadian(possibly other colonial:p troops as well) soldiers. It was basically dirty/street fighting but more refined, and it was really quite effective. I think Combato is something they did with American troops.

Cybernoid said:
I study Krav Maga, but it's not a martial art (we aren't "artists").

Isn't that the Israeli system? I'm a bit rusty on it anymore.

I like Aikido/boxing. A little joint manipulation goes a long way in dealing with the average smacktard. :)

Which martial art teaches the bo-staff? I want to do the stuff that Chris Mark can do with the bo-staff.

I like Zui Quan... or "Drunken Boxing":

In Zui Quan or the drunkard boxing, boxers falter, waddle, fall and sway just like drunkards. Zui Quan can be used for both fighting and maintaining health. However, the drunkard boxers go out of their way to stress the combative side of their style. They blend a series of movements, actions and skills of the martial arts and try to confuse their opponents with special skills which often lead them to surprise triumphs.

Execution of the drunkard boxing demands extreme flexibility of the joints as well as suppleness, dexterity, power and coordination all of which can be developed in the course of practice.

The main feature of the drunkard boxing is to hide combative hits in drunkard-like, unsteady movements and actions so s to confuse the opponent. The secret of this style of boxing is maintaining a clear mind while giving a drunken appearance.

Drunkard boxers are required to be responsive with good eyesight and fist plays. They move in unconnected steps but with a flexible body combining hardness and suppleness. They have to be fast to get the better of their opponents but their main tactic is to feign defense while trying to attack and aiming in one direction but attacking in another. Various degrees of drunkenness are demonstrated by different ranges of movements and expressions in the eye.

Drunken Boxing' is an enigma in Chinese Martial Arts. There is no stand alone "Style" of Drunken Boxing; this is only in the movies. Only a few systems have a true 'Drunken Boxing' set and that set is usually the System's most guarded secret. Choy Li Fut is one such system.

Aikido, Capoeira and Wushu are my favourites each for their own special styles and effectiveness.

Aikido
I like the idea of using the others power/weight/strentgh aginist them.

Tredoslop said:
Is there any jumping kicks or anything in Shaolin Wushu?

Sure, Shaolin Wushu's got everything - a wide range of defensive and offensive moves and is quite aerial as well, with a mix of weapon styles. It's great to watch.

Can you give me a website that has Shaolin Wushu information? I'm quite interested.

Sorry can't think of any quality ones that I could recommend off hand, but just Google "Shaolin Wushu" I'm sure there are loads of links to info and vid's out there ;)

Shinkage-Ryu. Basically a modified version of Kendo. Bloody Hard. But pretty cool if you can finally get any good at it.

The first couple of times I read that, I thought it said "shrinkage"... like after a guy goes swimming in cold water. That would be a strange way to fight.

Tang Soo Do. It's a variation of Tae Kwon Do with more powerful arm techniques, whereas TKD has pretty much only kicking.

I'm a 4th gup green belt in it, ATM

Sorry can't think of any quality ones that I could recommend off hand, but just Google "Shaolin Wushu" I'm sure there are loads of links to info and vid's out there

Wushu is more of a theatrical art than practical, imo

Originally Posted by Tredoslop
Martial arts outside of Asia aren't as good

Heh, the country doesn't make the teacher.

EDIT: nm, I thought you were talking about Martial arts schools outside of Asia, not western styles

FoB_Ed said:
Wushu is more of a theatrical art than practical, imo
I'm just glad no one has said that about Tae Kwon Do (yet)... that used to piss me off. :p

No. Wushu is more than a theatrical art. Have you actually been to Asia and trained? And Wushu just translates into martial art...there are a lot of styles and forms in Wushu. Real Wushu would kick ass.

OCybrManO said:
The first couple of times I read that, I thought it said "shrinkage"... like after a guy goes swimming in cold water. That would be a strange way to fight.

lol not quite! a sword based martial art does give chances to use a few pick up lines though!
Hot chick - wow, nice sword
InsaneCow - baby i have another weapon you'll like even more
Hot chick - so what do you do with it?
InsaneCow - come on into my room and I'll show you my style :naughty:

i voted other... other being shaolin kung fu. which... all other kung fu stems from. but the shaolin invented tai ch'i, drunken, animal forms, iron shirt/bone training, etc etc etc...and as a practicioner of shaolin, i gotta vote for that anyway :p it's cool because the whole yin/yang thing... you have to learn both external forms (killing/maiming/beating the hell out of people) of kung fu, but you must also balance that with internal stuff like energy cultivation and movement, different types of tai ch'i, many interesting levels of meditation (even learning out of body stuff) and so on... very comprehensive (IF you get a REAL shaolin school... otherwise it's just another martial art thing..ho hum)

Lau Gau Kung Fu.

I've been doing it coming up...a year now, got my green sash two weeks ago. Other than it's artistic style and sets (forms, patterns) it doesn't differentiate from other martial arts up until where I am now, much.

Beast206 said:
Isn't that the Israeli system? I'm a bit rusty on it anymore.

Yes.

It occured to me yesterday: say your teacher/master comes up to you when you are walking down the street, and asks you to perform technique X (something that you know well). If you can't perform it on the spot, the technique is useless.

That movie ****ing sucked and it is a disgrace. Ask anyone that knows even a bit about Capoeira.

Bad^Hat said:
Is that when they kill you twice before you hit the ground?

No, I think it's a bit more like when you give them something to remember you by next time the weather turns...

Or there's the Discworld version of Deja Fu, where the punches and kicks are made ahead of time, then sent forward through time to arrive just when they will most inconvenience your enemy...

Jackal hit said:
i voted other... other being shaolin kung fu. which... all other kung fu stems from. but the shaolin invented tai ch'i, drunken, animal forms, iron shirt/bone training, etc etc etc...and as a practicioner of shaolin, i gotta vote for that anyway :p it's cool because the whole yin/yang thing... you have to learn both external forms (killing/maiming/beating the hell out of people) of kung fu, but you must also balance that with internal stuff like energy cultivation and movement, different types of tai ch'i, many interesting levels of meditation (even learning out of body stuff) and so on... very comprehensive (IF you get a REAL shaolin school... otherwise it's just another martial art thing..ho hum)

I really agree with you! Many ppl think as martial art only for fighting, these ppl don't get that there is a big philosophy behind a martial art, and the schools who don't teach it shouldn't call themselves martial art school. It's been 4 years I practice Praying Mantis Kung Fu and it really changed the way I see life right now. That's why "tricks martial art" are not really efficient, because it's only a couple a flips to show off and be impressive.

before i post I just remembered some quote:
"Fear not the one who knows 1200 techniques; fear the one who practiced 1200 times a technique."

Does anyone take Karate? I heard that one style of Karate teaches you the bo-staff. I must know which one.
:(

Back