Your upgrade roadmap..

K

KidRock

What will you be updating on your comp and when? I will be recieing my x800xt P.E and FX-55 around mid november..then around the fall of 05 I will update to the next big thing. What about you guys?

LOL...I'm waiting until I can buy an AthlonXP 3200 for cheap to upgrade my POS. Soon thereafter my current machine will be retrofitted with an old Gforce 4 for some server duty. Next comes the 2 Gigs of Ram dual Opteron system with a new case/power supply from Antec. Gotta love being a poor college kid :)

It is looking like I will try to put off upgrading my CPU until dual cores make their entrance. It all really depends on finding a motherboard that has PCI-Express and AGP. I am not giving up my video card just yet.

blahblahblah said:
It all really depends on finding a motherboard that has PCI-Express and AGP.

I thought it was going to be one or the other?

DreamThrall said:
I thought it was going to be one or the other?

SIS and VIA are really good at coming up with nitch products. They can also create a small riser that converts AGP to PCI-Express. I'm not to worried. It all really depends on how fast PCI-Express takes off.

for the most part it is one or another but some of the boards that have both agp and pci exspress advertise having an agp of 8x but it really only runs at 4x. Maybee this is only on the intel boards though.

My next upgrade? Other than minro ram upgrades or whatever, and the laptop i'm getting ina few monthes, my next big upgrade will involve 64-bit, DDR2, PCI-E, and BTX.

Well I dont plan on updating untill longhorn comes out but I will most likely get a dual opteron cpu system both cpu's dual core also, to help with 3d modelling which I just started get into in the last 6 months. Probably also get some sort of SLI setup for the games. Most likely watercool the cpus and graphics cards. Atleast 2 gigs of ram maybee more depending on what is high end then and atleast 500mb's of hard drive space. Hopefully we will see the 16mb cache hard drives have a bit more of a performance increase buy then. Now I just got to come up with the money. :(
I got two years to save up.

I think I will hold onto my system for awhile now.

If I did upgrade I wouldn't upgrade but rather buy all new into a Socket 940 Dual Opteron system as well. ECC Ram etc.

Does anyone think the the opterons are going to be used in more of the high end gaming machines, the fx for midranged and athlon 64's for the low end?

My roadmap:

1GB Corsair Value -> 2 WD 37GB Raptors(RAID Array) -> New case -> New monitor

That should carry into late 2005, then after that start the videocard process again. Fun, fun...

my next upgrade
koolance full tower

Koolance Liquid Cooling Case PC2-901BW
48032-big.jpg

and new psu probaly l8r

maybe 1 peltier also then waiting for enough money so i can buy best off the best for once :)

atleast cpu and gpu. yes future proof.

my upgrade will probably be another monitor, i dont know why, i just really fancy 2 17" tft's, or il sell this one and use that money to put towards a 21".

Another harddrive is needed atm, coming to the end of this one!

But for gaming, il go 64bit, a 939pin cpu with pci-e mobo and new graphics card, x800XT should be more affordable then, im thinking of a full upgrade for spring.

Im still hanging onto my Athlon 1600+ and gf4 ti4200, so Im hoping to upgrade sooner than later. As soon as some good nforce 4 boards come out, Ill try to work out my upgrading budget with a mobo, 1 gig of corsair value ram, a 3000+ amd 64, and then a graphics card depending on how much money is left (which will probably be enough for a 6600gt, but Im hoping Ill be able to scrounge up enough for a 6800gt and a SLI board, and leave the second slot to buy another 6800gt when they become alot cheaper as a cheap upgrade path). I might have to squeeze in a PSU in there somewhere, because Im not sure if my generic 420w power supply will be able to handle the upgrade (it came with my case). That and maybe the antec p-160 case for christmas.

oh first gone upgrade psu my q-tec seems to weak

ATX - 550 Watt PSU - Aerocool Aeropower II+

+3,3V: 38A
+5V: 42A
+12V: 25A
-5V: 0,6A
-12V: 0,6A
+5Vsb: 2,5A

btw koolance comes next.

oldagerocker said:
my upgrade will probably be another monitor, i dont know why, i just really fancy 2 17" tft's, or il sell this one and use that money to put towards a 21".

Another harddrive is needed atm, coming to the end of this one!

But for gaming, il go 64bit, a 939pin cpu with pci-e mobo and new graphics card, x800XT should be more affordable then, im thinking of a full upgrade for spring.

ohh yeah, good call. My next major upgrade will also include 2 lcds of at LEAST 17"

Anyone know how BTX is coming along? Also, can you put, say a 6800GT, and a (Insert Newer Card Here) in a SLI mobo?

Subatomic said:
Anyone know how BTX is coming along? Also, can you put, say a 6800GT, and a (Insert Newer Card Here) in a SLI mobo?

I wouldnt think so. If the SLI works like i think it does, and splits the screen in half with one card doing one section and another doing the other section, it would look a little awkward, with one half going at a much faster frame rate than the other half, or one part has alot more antialiasing than another.

Back