Youve gotta give Valve credit

PainLord

Reaction score
From what one of the guys from Valve said in Tokyo, only language implementation and hardware compatability tweaking is all thats left to do. They deserve credit because they made the very ambitious move of giving us one very precise date months before and they so nearly hit it. No other developer I can think of has set a precise date like that and has come so close to hitting it.
Kudos to Valve! :cheers:

if thats all they have to do, should'nt the game be coming out pretty soon, like in the next month or so?

Either way I don't care when the game is coming out, in the end we will get it. Valve rules!

making sure that the game works on various types of video cards.

maybe doing some code optimisations for the Nvidia cards (since they seem to suck the wang).

Originally posted by Tarkus
what do you mean by hardware compability??

Optimising the game for the widest range of hardware possible. i.e making it as good as they can to work with NVidia cards.
My guess on release is that theyve missed their target (just) and so are waiting for the holiday season.

Basicly making sure it doesn't crash becuase you have some really odd configuration.

Bah! Who needs languages anyway, english is perfectly fine for everyone. Damn these brits for not taking over the world! I want the New Commonwealth today!

Everyone that cant read it havent read the age rating on the box. I may be stupid, but I honestly think 95% of people wanting to buy HL2 will buy the english version (I find translations hilarious, and often incredibly wrong). But I aint Vivendi, I dont think on money all the time :)

The delay has always been about NVIDIA's new Detonator drivers. Once they've sorted out the compatibility issues with them then the game should be good to go! *crosses fingers*

Originally posted by InsaneFool
making sure that the game works on various types of video cards.

maybe doing some code optimisations for the Nvidia cards (since they seem to suck the wang).

i was hoping to read that :)

Originally posted by -JeZ-
The delay has always been about NVIDIA's new Detonator drivers. Once they've sorted out the compatibility issues with them then the game should be good to go! *crosses fingers*
What compatability issues? The optimisations? ;)

dawler baby moderator?? aaaaaaaw, so CUTE gutchi gutchi guh

Originally posted by Tarkus
dawler baby moderator?? aaaaaaaw, so CUTE gutchi gutchi guh
If /me would have worked I would have bit your finger off.

Originally posted by -JeZ-

Well, if some random internet guy says it, it's gotta be true! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by PainLord
From what one of the guys from Valve said in Tokyo, only language implementation and hardware compatability tweaking is all thats left to do. They deserve credit because they made the very ambitious move of giving us one very precise date months before and they so nearly hit it. No other developer I can think of has set a precise date like that and has come so close to hitting it.

got some linkage for the quoteage?

Optimising the game for the widest range of hardware possible. i.e making it as good as they can to work with NVidia cards.
My guess on release is that theyve missed their target (just) and so are waiting for the holiday season.

Ahem...Err... Valve wrote HL2 using directx9, it's microsoft's job to optimize for all hardware. The whole point of directx is to let coders code cool stuff and know that it's compatible with and runs fastest on most hardware.

Originally posted by nsxownzme
Kudos to my ass.

Damn straight, mate.

Originally posted by Xtasy0
i didnt even know there was a tokyo thread, heh.

Kazoom!

I'm not convinced though, this could be a case of the Japanesians screwing up. Or just (very) bad translating.

And Valve will get my credit: the money I pay for the game. Quite enough credit I'd think.

god damn we were sooo close to having it this week...now we have to wait a month or two

:( :( :(

Originally posted by FictiousWill
Ahem...Err... Valve wrote HL2 using directx9, it's microsoft's job to optimize for all hardware. The whole point of directx is to let coders code cool stuff and know that it's compatible with and runs fastest on most hardware.

Damn straight, mate.

and its Nvidia's job to follow the Dx9 guide lines that microsoft made so hardware won't have problems and perform like crap. but Nvidia didnt choose to do that.

From what one of the guys from Valve said in Tokyo, only language implementation and hardware compatability tweaking is all thats left to do.
But then again, Valve says a lot of things that aren't necessarily true.

Originally posted by bate18
if thats all they have to do, should'nt the game be coming out pretty soon, like in the next month or so?

I dunno about you, but in my area they're already putting stuff out for Christmas. A month or two months and we're smack-dab in the "Holiday Season".

No other developer I can think of has set a precise date like that and has come so close to hitting it.

how about one of the hundereds of games that got released on time.

thats a shit load closer than "a week away, oh sorry did i say a week? i meant 3 months"

Re: Re: Youve gotta give Valve credit

Originally posted by Dougy
how about one of the hundereds of games that got released on time.

thats a shit load closer than "a week away, oh sorry did i say a week? i meant 3 months"

But those were like "Q3 2001 for example. Not an exact day.

I just realized that "Holidays" could mean they release it in November, or even the end of October.

Which means only a month to go! Maybe.

Originally posted by Rice-Rocketeer
I just realized that "Holidays" could mean they release it in November, or even the end of October.

Which means only a month to go! Maybe.

marketing strategy all up in your hizzy biatch!!!

not %99.xx Exactly.

If they release the game on the 30 of sep, ATI upcoming XT card sales will be affected, beause they are bundling the game with the card.

Originally posted by dawdler
Bah! Who needs languages anyway, english is perfectly fine for everyone. Damn these brits for not taking over the world! I want the New Commonwealth today!

Everyone that cant read it havent read the age rating on the box. I may be stupid, but I honestly think 95% of people wanting to buy HL2 will buy the english version (I find translations hilarious, and often incredibly wrong). But I aint Vivendi, I dont think on money all the time :)

You are possibly the most ignorant, arrogant fucker I've ever come across...

Originally posted by Ralphus
VALVE CAN BLOW ME
I'm sure they have some sort of high explosive in HL2. Can you give me a picture of your gibbed body after?

Stupid post get stupid reply, such posts are one more step to the Big B. And that goes for everyone. And yes I have dellusions of grandour.

/me goes out to ban the peasants walking in the street with by Rod Of Banning

/me decides to ban the admins for making /me not work

Originally posted by Rice-Rocketeer
"Holidays" could also mean late December, so don't get your hopes up.

The only thing Valve is getting from me is $50 USD for the game, to heck with the credits.:) btw, Vibiendi you teh sux0x0rZ! :-P:cheese:

Back