Zalman 7700-Cu - Too heavy?

Hunter_8472

Reaction score
My water-cooler recently failed (in a rather spectacular manner, spraying coolant over my graphics card), and so I want a good but cheap air cooler. I'm looking at the Zalman 7700-Cu.

I've heard it's way heavier than the recommended limit, though, and so I'm wondering: do any of you guys have this cooler, and if so have you had any problems with it in terms of weight? My motherboard is in the standard vertical configuration inside my case, and I won't be moving it anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Well, I should be getting it in about 2 weeks, so we'll find out soon enough. :O

Edit: I honestly don't think so. I'm sure they wouldn't design a fan that bent/damaged a CPU.

It's a great cooler. The only reason I would worry about it being heavy is if you move your PC a lot for LANs and such.

It should use the 2 or 4 screw mounts with the backplate on the back of the motherboard. So it should be sturdy for supporting it's weight with your tower just sitting there on the desk. I have a thermalright heatsink (not thermaltake) that has a similar mount with a backplate. Works well.

Asus said:
I have a thermalright heatsink (not thermaltake) that has a similar mount with a backplate. Works well.

You're speaking of the XP90 right?

Haha, when I got all the parts for my PC, I had to stop putting it together because I had just noticed that to mount an XP90 onto a Gigabyte mobo, you needed an aftermarket backplate that could fit the mount onto the mobo.

I, being the overly eager bastard that I am, just ran down to a local hardware store with the XP90 screws in hand, and grabbed a few bolts that fit the screws, then just bolted the bastard onto my motherboard.

:LOL:

I have one. The replacement backplate is pretty strong, and it's perfectly safe as long as you're careful with your PC. As Asus said, it's not so great for LANs, a jolt in the wrong direction could crack your mainboard due to its weight. It's very quiet though, and keeps the temps on my Clawhammer down in the low 30s at stock speeds.

ok, thanks guys *orders*

Clawhammer is an AMD, right? so it should cool a Newcastle 3500+ well enough?

Back