Zombie releasing headcrab in scripted sequence

Sgt. Redneck

Reaction score
How can I make a zombie release his headcrab in a scripted sequence. It isn't crucial that this happens in a scripted sequence though. I tried the "releasecrab" animation, but it didn't work as I expected. I looked the the npc_zombie inputs for a possible command to release it but didn't find anything that might accomplish this.

Also how can I make a headcrab jump from one predefined point to another predefined point? ie. Scripted sequence to scripted sequence.

Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks. :sniper:

are you trying to make the zombie throw his headcrab at the player or someone else? generally the poisonzombie will throw a crab at you if he has direct line of sight (and a crab left to throw)

as for the crab jumping routine, i suggest checking out VMF of the d1_trainstation map where gordon tries to teleport from kleiner's lab. there's that bit where lamarr pounces on the seagull

As for the zombie releasing the headcrab, it is a normal classic zombie. I do want to have the headcrab leap at the player directly off the zombie or even cooler and probably easier is leap onto a shack and then let AI take control.

standard zombies can't throw crabs. only poisonzombies can do that

you need a poisonzombie with 1 crab. i'd suggest creating a scenario where the ai_relationship between zombie & player is neutral to start off (and make it impossible for the player to kill the zombie while it's neutral), then use a triggering entity to change the ai_rel to enemy and also to trigger the zombie to throw a crab in whatever direction you want. the only question is whether you can trigger a poisonzombie to throw a crab in a certain direction on command

No, I mean the headcrab disconnect like if the zombie was killed and the headcrab itself wasn't injured, then the headcrab would jump off volentarily.

iirc if you shoot a zombie in the body the body goes down and the crab drops to the floor and starts scuttling toward you. i'd be surprised if there's an input for the zombie that will cause the body to die and crab to jump off. i think they're treated as a single entity. same with poisonzombie. hence, the crabs can't be scripted independently of the host

Crap. Ok, well I'll think of something else thats really cool. Thanks anyways Ultra

Back