zombies escaping Ravenholm?

susko

Hunter
Reaction score
I have always wondered how did zombies survived in that small place and why havent they tried leaving the same way Gordon does. I would asume that if a couple of zombies would escape and attack in the city the combine would block the exit or worse, destroy Ravenholm :frown:

Why would they need to escape? :p

The wasteland is full of zombies and all manner of aliens. Also, if those in Ravenholm ever tried to leave via the mines they'd first have to throw themselves down a very long shaft, find a way to hurdle over a fence and swim the remainder of the way whilst avoiding being eaten by barnacles.
The chances are very, very slim.

Oh, and they'd need to find a way into the church yards.

Zombies can't exactly be organized to lauch a functioning escape plan.

Was gonna say that lol, their brain has pretty much been eaten by a headcrab and waht remains of their body is in control of the headcrab, and their only instinct is find fresh meat and maul it to death, so i really dont think they have the sort of intelligence to escape, i mean even Gordon found it hard, and we all know much of a bad ass and how smart he is ;)

Right. As far as we know, they *are* trying to escape. They just haven't gotten too far.

As there most likely wont be a government there wont be someone to take care of ravenholm, so since there isnt any food and zombies arent much of farmers, the food will soon ran out. Will they die of famina or will they start to search food outside ravenholm.

zombies dont eat, a headcrab blocks their mouth. the headcrab feeds on the host. the host decays alot but so far we havent seen one decayed to death.

I win.

If we havent seen any, dosent mean that there arent any! Even headcrabs need energy to survive and i dont think they will get it from humus when there arent any people left.

zombies dont eat, a headcrab blocks their mouth. the headcrab feeds on the host. the host decays alot but so far we havent seen one decayed to death.

I win.

Zombie eats. Perhaps they stuff food directly into their stomach. You can see zombie eating human flesh in HL1. But headcrab itself digest the host for nutrient sounds possible.

The headcrab probably elimanates the need for several major organs, reducing the amount of energy it needs to keep going.

zombies dont eat human flesh in hl1. they drag bodies along to a safe spot then you can just see em gently raking the bodies with their claws (zombie rape?)

zombies dont eat human flesh in hl1. they drag bodies along to a safe spot then you can just see em gently raking the bodies with their claws (zombie rape?)

And then they move there hand into their maw, thus placing the food into one of their "new" organs and digesting it.

There is so much yet to be studied about zombies :D

No, they raked the human and put the crawl near their mouths. This is obvious a sign of ingestion.

Yeah, its just that HL's engine limited the animations somewhat.

Day of the Dead was it, that had thinking zombies. Weird one o_O

Land of the Dead I think, they could talk.

The headcrab only controls the body of its host, it doesn't absorb information from it. Headcrabs themselves are relatively simple creatures, so the Zombies they produce are unlikely to have any sort of human like intelligence

No, they raked the human and put the crawl near their mouths. This is obvious a sign of ingestion.

You are making the assumption that the ingestion is for the benefit of the
human body, instead it could be an easy way for the headcrab to continue to
draw nutrients from the current body, and not having to leave it to find a
new host.

(first Post) rom what I know... Xen creature started spawning (the green cloud and the rift where they appear) EVERY where... the whole world was covered in xenian creatures shortly after the BM incident... so, why escape if they are every where else???

HL2 zombies aren't very intelligent. They aren't animals either, but their intelligence is nowhere near human, it's mostly gone. It would seem that when they're not hibernating, they wander around rather randomly, unless they can smell/feel food.

A few zombies certainly escape, or try to. Remember, as you go out of the mines, there are zombies in the abandoned train depot. Moreover, the Combine has put a few snipers there to keep them at bay.

A few zombies certainly escape, or try to. Remember, as you go out of the mines, there are zombies in the abandoned train depot. Moreover, the Combine has put a few snipers there to keep them at bay.
Beat me to it. Ravenholm's guarded by snipers to one side and fences to the other, with mine shafts between both. Further out there are also combine forcefields that keep wild zombies at bay.

Now, to address some of the slightly off-topic things in this thread: classic zombies do not devour their hosts for nutrients. Poison zombies and fast zombies, on the other hand, do seem to be doing this.

Llama said:
The headcrab probably elimanates the need for several major organs, reducing the amount of energy it needs to keep going.
Classic: all organs save for heart and lungs have been removed/repurposed, new organs grown in their place.
Poison: most organs liquified.
Fast: no visible organs but heart and lungs must remain.

Susko said:
There is so much yet to be studied about zombies
I have already taken the liberty of doing it.http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110042 The studies are concluded.

Of course they don't plan to escape. I see them more less like a animal predator just staking out and getting the needs. Just move a long the trails.

I have already taken the liberty of doing it. The studies are concluded.

Wow, how did i miss that. So did u get a Ph.D for that? nice:thumbs:

That is true:upstare: This also proves, that the combine cant put resources rational. They could just put a force field, but then the poor freeman would be caught :naughty:

The zombies seemed to be hibernating before Gordon arrived.

But back to my point... the zombies wouldn't need to escape... they're already out... if anything they'd of tried to get INTO ravenholm... No one can resist the smell of Gregori

Beat me to it. Ravenholm's guarded by snipers to one side and fences to the other, with mine shafts between both. Further out there are also combine forcefields that keep wild zombies at bay.

Now, to address some of the slightly off-topic things in this thread: classic zombies do not devour their hosts for nutrients. Poison zombies and fast zombies, on the other hand, do seem to be doing this.

Classic: all organs save for heart and lungs have been removed/repurposed, new organs grown in their place.
Poison: most organs liquified.
Fast: no visible organs but heart and lungs must remain.

I have already taken the liberty of doing it.http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110042 The studies are concluded.

Hot damn, I did something like that for the GameFAQs forum once I heard HL 2 was being released! (I even sent it to ValvE for some odd reason. =P) Hmm.... lemme go find it.

Land of the Dead I think, they could talk.

The headcrab only controls the body of its host, it doesn't absorb information from it. Headcrabs themselves are relatively simple creatures, so the Zombies they produce are unlikely to have any sort of human like intelligence

In the case of the Zombine, it does seem to absorb a tiny bit of information from the host. It can recognize that the grenade is a weapon, but obviously doesn't know how to properly use it.

You are making the assumption that the ingestion is for the benefit of the
human body, instead it could be an easy way for the headcrab to continue to
draw nutrients from the current body, and not having to leave it to find a
new host.

If the headcrab consumes too much of its host body, the zombie simply can't move. So a zombie need to be fed.

In the case of the Zombine, it does seem to absorb a tiny bit of information from the host. It can recognize that the grenade is a weapon, but obviously doesn't know how to properly use it.

I don't think Headcrab is intelligent enough to finish the movement. That pull out a grenade is probably just a nervo-reflexive action. Since the host used to be a soldier, pulling off a grenade needs no thinking. So as a Zombine can do it since its spine stands still.

Nothing you can do to your brain can simplify untangling a grenade from your belt and priming it into one reflex. However, the Combine do heavily modify their soldiers, as we know. Perhaps the odd behaviors exhibited by the Zombine could be a result of augmentation (the "grenade reflex", radio chatter)...

I have a theory about headcrabs: They can issue simple 'desires' to the host brain, and then the brain (what's left of it) will attempt to fulfil that order according to its most basic abilities/knowledge. The Zombines may simply be acting on the headcrab's demand of 'kill now!'. utilizing its 'knowledge' that a grenade will kill anything in one hit, forgetting that it'll kill itself in the process.

I have a theory about headcrabs: They can issue simple 'desires' to the host brain, and then the brain (what's left of it) will attempt to fulfil that order according to its most basic abilities/knowledge. The Zombines may simply be acting on the headcrab's demand of 'kill now!'. utilizing its 'knowledge' that a grenade will kill anything in one hit, forgetting that it'll kill itself in the process.
Zombines don't have brains.

Why would lungs need to remain? If the mouth and nose are covered, you can't draw breath into your lungs. The headcrab can take in oxygen directly from the air (they must when they don't have a human host, right?).

Mawmen shouldn't need organs for they are controlled by the headcrabs and ergo, the headcrab already has those vital organs to rely on... headcrabs just use the body as a way of feeding and being able to hunt better...

How exactly did a zombies escaping RAvenholm post get turned into a zombie discussion? Strange. And I do think zombies eat! Or when the body decays, the headcrab leaves and goes and finds another yummy body!

Hm, zombies getting out of Ravenholm? Isnt that what the snipers at the end were for?

I don't see why they bother - the wastes are full of Zombies anyway.

Maybe they don't want the cities getting infested by mawmen... and you don't see it, but maybe they have machine gun nests to keep zombies out of the city at the edges of the Outlands too.

I mean, zombies and headcrabs do get in from time to time but at least they're kept down to a manageable number. You don't want more and more zombies getting in, whereby the city would then be considered unlivable.

Back