100 ideas for Half-Life 3

smoke said:
wtf? Breen died, you SAW him die! how could you explain a comeback like that?!

We didn't see him die. We still don't know the effects of explosion. It could be possible that he was teleported just before the reator blew. Or maybe he gained super teleporting powers like the G-man. :D

I SAY BRING BACK THE ICHTYSOUR WHAT THE FAUK WHERE VALVE THINKING ALL THAT WATER AND FOR WHAT A COUPLE OF BILLION LEECHES... NAAAAH I DUN THINK SO ... and what ever happend to the hydra he looked so good on tunnels vid

smoke said:
wtf? Breen died, you SAW him die! how could you explain a comeback like that?!

85.Gman getting involved with combat (hey, if he can control time then he can KICK ARSE!)

Breen did not die. At all. He is still very much alive. All his bubble did was drift down the reactor core, noclip and take a look for yourself. He wasn't in the explosion either. And since Alyx is alive in Aftermath, who's face was only a few metres away from the rapidly spreading explosion I'm sure Breen could escape.

Samon said:
Breen did not die. At all. He is still very much alive. All his bubble did was drift down the reactor core, noclip and take a look for yourself. He wasn't in the explosion either. And since Alyx is alive in Aftermath, who's face was only a few metres away from the rapidly spreading explosion I'm sure Breen could escape.
That was probably a visual effect, just smoke and mirrors. I think Breen teleported through. Either way, the Citadel is critically injured. Its most likely, melting and collapsing, which means that its not going to explode, but rather fall down. And when it falls down, its going to hit the ground hard, and destroy most of c17.

What are we at, 87?

87. Fight some of the REAL combine, not these puny humanoid and synth pawns. :)

88. MAKE IT MORE CHALLENGING!! I know I've said it here before & so of lots of others but I completed HL2 again last night (for only the second time) & it's so bloody easy even on HARD it's shocking! We want a challenge & some seriously good combat to boot. HL2's combat wasn't a patch on several other FPS's I can think of & it wasn't even as good as the first HL game! Not good.

r2000 said:
That was probably a visual effect, just smoke and mirrors. I think Breen teleported through. Either way, the Citadel is critically injured. Its most likely, melting and collapsing, which means that its not going to explode, but rather fall down. And when it falls down, its going to hit the ground hard, and destroy most of c17.

Yeah, you just summed up Aftermath :p

Citadel is going into meltdown. I don't think he ported out I mean, you fail if he gets away, so if he ports, then it would render the final sequence of hl2 useless.

non-linearity

I really agree with the "non-linearity / sub-plots / not on rails / open-ended" suggestions - one big world that you can explore and fight your way through, taking care of business in various locations to trigger new areas or quests... Picture this - after lighthouse point, you have to back track to somewhere on highway 17, New Little Odessa, perhaps, to bring something to the Colonel... this type of system is very common in RPG, and could be put to use here. At the same time, HL should remain a shooter - that is, we don't need levels, or statistics for Gordon. As for an inventory of items, in addition to ammo and guns? maybe... the ability to trade off the space for another two RPGs in exchange for only carrying 50 rounds of 9mm? I worry that it would add unnecessary complexity to the game.

The difficulties with the approach are that the plot becomes more diffuse, and (perhaps) weakens the overall story. Also, it might feel a little odd for Gordon Freeman, THE FREEMAN, to be running silly little errands for in game characters.

non-sequitur - regarding the leeches... I think a better explanation for uncrossable oceans would be that salt-water short circuits the HEV suit, and you take electrical damage. But c'mon, tiny leeches that you can't even see?

The Xenians come back, with Alien Grunts, and smash the combine into the ground!

89. A HUGE KICK ASS BATTLE BETWEEN THE COMBINE, AND THE ALLIED FORCES OF XEN AND EARTH! (cmon, it would kick hl2 arse!)

Samon said:
I'm beginning to think that Aftermath will take take place BEFORE that citadel explosion. I mean the way it explodes, you can see the Dark Fusion Core beginning to tumble directly towards Alyx and Gordon. Even if they did survive the blast the Fusion Core would kill them.

90. a believable sounding artificial voice (way more advanced than Microsoft Sam). Characters would be able to say an infinite amount of things that are context sensitive (and created at that moment) without the need for huge amounts of recorded voices (voice actors may not be happy though).

I'll post what I'd like to see, but I'm not gonna numbe them, as I think most have already been posted.
I'd like to see:
A longer, more challenging game.
Some of the experimental weapons from HL1.
More alien species.
Dynamic lighting.
Better ragdolls.
If you read the "raising the bar" book, it goes on a lot about how HL2 was going to be a much darker, creepy game, with more traveling and different locales. If HL3 was like that, it would be perfect.
I want to see Xen again. And the combine homeworld.
there was more I was thinking of, but I can't remember. Hm.
Ah! Yes! I would like to see a longer train ride at the beginning.

Sparta said:
I'm beginning to think that Aftermath will take take place BEFORE that citadel explosion. I mean the way it explodes, you can see the Dark Fusion Core beginning to tumble directly towards Alyx and Gordon. Even if they did survive the blast the Fusion Core would kill them.

Its possible, I'm thinking along the lines of Gordon waking up some more, possibly seeing Alyx shot backward through the control room corridor. Or something.

When you look at all the details in HL2, I would be overjoyed if Aftermath is as long. IT takes A LOT of work to map and build the levels. I wish we could see more of the wasteland, and the alien infestation of Earth.

r2000 said:
When you look at all the details in HL2, I would be overjoyed if Aftermath is as long. IT takes A LOT of work to map and build the levels. I wish we could see more of the wasteland, and the alien infestation of Earth.

I completley agree there.

Agree with the long trainride. HL2's was jsut damntoo short. It would be nice to make a visit to xen, with the new source graphics and everything. It doesn't feel like half-life without xen.

Spectre01 said:
Agree with the long trainride. HL2's was jsut damntoo short. It would be nice to make a visit to xen, with the new source graphics and everything. It doesn't feel like half-life without xen.

They shortenend the train ride because there was already a better sequence in the Citadel.

Back