100 things that SUCKED about half-life 2

Reaction score
Look, half-life 2 is a great single player game, it's loads of fun to play but there were some moronic things in it that pissed me off.

1. To much time in the same damn environment so you get bored of it for example driving the car or the airboat for 1 hour.

2. Thery cut like 75% of all monsters, most of the monsters are like different combine soldiers and there's not many really exciting monsters.

3. Citizens are complete wimps, none of them are cool or say something cool ever.

4. The ending was pretty shitty, shooting powerballs at a big stationary thing so it falls appart, thereby killing Breen, also it was to easy.

5. A bit to short.

6. Grenades are to weak.

7. We never got to see Alyx take it off!! :naughty:

8. The popup suit power thing sucks. Displays same power for underwater extra air, sprinting etc. Totally stupid idea.

9. They cut all parts except 1 that we got to see on video that semt sooooo fun to play.

10. Headcrabs can't jump onto citizens heads. It wouldn't necesserely turn them into zombies since that is a long process but it would be cool if the headcrab would kill them by jumping and attaching on their heads. It's stupid just to see them jump and scratch them. That's not what they are for.

11. Barnacles sucks because when they eat a citizen or a combine their mouths aren't large enough and the citizen/combine is seen through the mouth, also when it eats it looks retarded.

I ought to rename this thread to "11 things that I personally didn't like about Half-Life 2"

12. Anyone who says HL2 sucked, sucks.

Wolfy Snackrib said:
8. The popup suit power thing sucks. Displays same power for underwater extra air, sprinting etc. Totally stupid idea.
The flashlight, suit-assisted sprint, and life support systems are probably running off a single power source to keep the suit's weight down. My bet is that the energy source isn't quite up to the task of producing oxygen or sustaining a sprint but a certain amount is stored in a faster (probably more bulky and expensive) energy storage device for quick access, which is displayed by the power meter... which would explain why the flashlight doesn't run down the power meter on its own, while more complex actions do. Whatever the case, the infinite total amount of energy that the suit has is a bit odd...

OCybrManO said:
The flashlight, suit-assisted sprint, and life support systems are probably running off a single power source to keep the suit's weight down. My bet is that the energy source isn't quite up to the task of producing oxygen or sustaining a sprint but a certain amount is stored in a faster (probably more bulky and expensive) energy storage device for quick access, which is displayed by the power meter... which would explain why the flashlight doesn't run down the power meter on its own, while more complex actions do. Whatever the case, the infinite total amount of energy that the suit has is a bit odd...

Well shit, I must have missed that paragraph in my HEV suit manual.

;)

Couple of things. You don't kill Breen and the vids they cut, were never cut - because they were never in the game ;)

I agree with number 1 at some point
number 7 is just stupid and not funny tbh...

I never said half life 2 sucked, it's the greatest singleplayer game i've played but as everything it has it's flaws. anyways post what you think sucks about it

13. Sprint.

14. The sub machinegun. (Minus grenade launcher)

15. LACK of vehicles. 2? Come on. They could have done more, greater things in my opinion. A chase scene through a city for example would have been heart pumping.

16. Traveling with NPC's was only a brief spec in the history of the game. It would have been great to run around with Barney a bit more.

17. No bullsquid.

18. It was too easy.

Chav said:
I agree with number 1 at some point
number 7 is just stupid and not funny tbh...

Agreed. I don't agree with #1, though (assuming you're talking about size and not richness). The environments in each chapter are supposed to have realistic design, so if a particular one is too large or whatever and takes time to progress through... that's because it'd probably be like that in real life. If you dislike it in the game, you'd dislike it in real life. Doesn't mean it's a fault. If the game was designed such that the player would blitz through a whole variety of environments in a short space of time, I'd feel disoriented. It'd be like a cartoon.

A lot of the things that don't match up to a player's expectations are there on purpose, to add realism or to make things more challenging. For example, I dislike the fact that the pulse-rifle runs out of ammo quickly. I dislike the fact that sprinting reduces the HEV suit's auxiliary power so drastically. I dislike the fact that there are parts in the game where you've got to flee (from a gunship, or chopper, or teams of Combine) instead of fight, even if it's just to conserve health temporarily. But these are all deliberate. Whether you want to accept a deliberate thing like that or to reject it and say it "sucks" is upto you. I accept some and reject some. It's not really fair to bag them all out, however.

Some of the things I wish were in the game are these (I think all of these fall into the same category as those mentioned just above):

- more and better interaction with people, and to get closer to our non-human allies (I'd love a game of chess with a Vort); it's a trade-off between this and player-isolation (to create a desperate, lonesome mood) but I would have liked to see Valve try and balance the two somehow; I hear they're going to give this a shot in Aftermath

- more soundtrack material, especially ambient stuff; the non-ambient stuff was pretty well spread out, I think; I wouldn't like it if there was music playing all the time, but more minimalistic, ambient tracks wouldn't have gone wrong

- a wider range of weaponry, and a system for holding certain weapons whilst being unable to hold others; that way, a lot more weapons could feature in the game without creating the unrealistic effect of being able to carry 10+ different kinds together

- richer environments; I don't know how exactly this would have been done, but the environments seem bleaker and emptier than you'd expect them to; maybe that's because certain objects/features have a blended-in feel and don't really stand out (like scraps of newspaper, or coffee-mugs, or debris all over a room); maybe it comes down to texturing

My only complaint was that it wasn't "big" enough... HL1 was epic

1. To much time in the same damn environment so you get bored of it for example driving the car or the airboat for 1 hour.
If it took you an hour...
2. Thery cut like 75% of all monsters, most of the monsters are like different combine soldiers and there's not many really exciting monsters.
that's because they were no fun to play. And by 75% you mean the hydra, antlion king, cremator, 2 extra synths, 2 assains and ?
While I can count 15 in game enemies of the top of my head?
3. Citizens are complete wimps, none of them are cool or say something cool ever.
What do you want them to say?
4. The ending was pretty shitty, shooting powerballs at a big stationary thing so it falls appart, thereby killing Breen, also it was to easy.
Play on hard
5. A bit to short.
A bit
6. Grenades are to weak.
Are you kidding?
7. We never got to see Alyx take it off!!
Don't be retarded
I think it's a brilliant idea
9. They cut all parts except 1 that we got to see on video that semt sooooo fun to play.
That's because
1: everyone would know how to get past them
2: they playtested crap
10. Headcrabs can't jump onto citizens heads. It wouldn't necesserely turn them into zombies since that is a long process but it would be cool if the headcrab would kill them by jumping and attaching on their heads. It's stupid just to see them jump and scratch them. That's not what they are for.
usualy they get killed before they get a chance but I agree
11. Barnacles sucks because when they eat a citizen or a combine their mouths aren't large enough and the citizen/combine is seen through the mouth, also when it eats it looks retarded.
It's a bit stupidbut could you do a better job?

Riomhaire, leave the poor man alone and stop spouting your HL2 propaganda to him. If he thinks it sucked in those areas then it sucked. You're not going to change his mind.

Since when was it his intention to change his mind? Riomhaire was simply putting his views against the guys points - simple as that.

Foebane said:
Riomhaire, leave the poor man alone and stop spouting your HL2 propaganda to him. If he thinks it sucked in those areas then it sucked. You're not going to change his mind.

Everyone is still entitled to their opinion, he's obviously just treatising on the subject from a different viewpoint.

What are we up to, now? I think the soundtrack (yeah, it was pretty good) and the epic scale was a bit off key. Although that was because i personally think the soundtrack relates a lot to the scale. I mean, Halo2 was AWESOME in places because of the awesome music blasting in your ears as tanks and wraiths blasting each other to pieces all around you....

Bah, Scale. Damn you Valve! Anit-Cit and Follow Freeman, i think, got it -mostly- good.

Mmkay, I'll add a few, though I'll probably be fanboyed to death.

where are we? 19ish?

19. No detail textures - textures on environment and models appeared blurry and pixelated when viewed up close. Could have been solved with tiling detail textures but wasn't, and still isn't.

20. Creaky old engine - source is blatantly quake1 on lsd and acid at the same time. my favorite is the 3d skybox 'feature' (read: render hack) designed to make up for spatial shortcomings of the bsp engine

21. Load time to get to the main menu, even when the background map was disabled, even for HL:S. What the hell is it loading? Nobody knows.....

22. Heavy scripting, valve reported about free-thinking ai that assess and make decisions about their environment to produce emergent gameplay. In actuality, the enemies are stupid as hell and show no signs of 'sensing' their environment or the player, as any unique npc action is scripted.

23. Hitboxes, completely unnecessary and tech dragged over kicking and screaming from the hl1 engine. Per-poly hit detection could be perfromed, an analysis of a model's polygons occurs when the engine is mapping a bloodspot decal onto the model but this system is unrelated to weapon hitscan. Nobody knows why.

19. No detail textures - textures on environment and models appeared blurry and pixelated when viewed up close. Could have been solved with tiling detail textures but wasn't, and still isn't.

Get a better graphics card then

20. Creaky old engine - source is blatantly quake1 on lsd and acid at the same time. my favorite is the 3d skybox 'feature' (read: render hack) designed to make up for spatial shortcomings of the bsp engine

OLD? r u talkin about HL2 or the first one?

21. Load time to get to the main menu, even when the background map was disabled, even for HL:S. What the hell is it loading? Nobody knows.....

????

22. Heavy scripting, valve reported about free-thinking ai that assess and make decisions about their environment to produce emergent gameplay. In actuality, the enemies are stupid as hell and show no signs of 'sensing' their environment or the player, as any unique npc action is scripted.

I agree

23. Hitboxes, completely unnecessary and tech dragged over kicking and screaming from the hl1 engine. Per-poly hit detection could be perfromed, an analysis of a model's polygons occurs when the engine is mapping a bloodspot decal onto the model but this system is unrelated to weapon hitscan. Nobody knows why.

Im dumb so i wont respond :D

I found that HL2 was a little short on weapons and stuff. Especially the 'exotic' weapons...maybe something from the vortigaunts, because the bugbait was only of real use in Nova Prospekt.
Also when NPC's talk I see some black around their mouths and it gets a little pixellated...but I'm pretty sure that's due to my pre-historic graphics card. :frown:

24. Small confined areas, not huge big enviroments because of the linear path. I can live with it.

25. Bunch of fanboys and trolls arguing around like kids. You can't change people's opinions unless you present them with straight hard facts instead of your own opinion.

26. Alone too much, though minor, it lacked character. Thankfully, Aftermath promises to fix that.

27. Texture conversion takes too long. Don't really care though.

28. Model compiling is also annoying. Also don't really care.

29. I don't know, something about Hammer and stuff.

30?. My only gripe I had about the whole experience is not being able to play what was shown in the BINKs. What a tease.

31. you can't play it with a 8mb video card.

edit: well, you can, but you would have 5 - 20 fps

agree with complaint 19. No matter what graphics card you pl;ay on, textures looks blurry and shitty up close. Beautiful from a distane however.

30.Source engine is using pretty old tech. It's the best of yesterdays technology but nothing more.

31.Shadows clip through stuff e.g, Player shadows in CS clip through walls, medkits on a table have their shadows clip through under it, the coast level had a couch shadow visible from outsde the house, shadows overlap and look crappy.

32. AI should have been better for freindlies, combine were fine for me.

Spectre01 said:
agree with complaint 19. No matter what graphics card you pl;ay on, textures looks blurry and shitty up close. Beautiful from a distane however.

30.Source engine is using pretty old tech. It's the best of yesterdays technology but nothing more.

31.Shadows clip through stuff e.g, Player shadows in CS clip through walls, medkits on a table have their shadows clip through under it, the coast level had a couch shadow visible from outsde the house, shadows overlap and look crappy.

32. AI should have been better for freindlies, combine were fine for me.

your numbers are wrong....

I agree with a lot of these criticisms. But most of them just counter-balance themselves.

"Too much time alone - lacked character"
"Too much pissing about talking to muppets - lacked atmosphere"

"I hated the vehicles"
"Only two vehicles!!"

"It's not long enough"
"There's too much time spent in each location"

Etc, etc.
In a game with as much variation as HL2, it seems inevitable you can only please some of the people some of the time.

Noobulon said:
I agree with a lot of these criticisms. But most of them just counter-balance themselves.

"Too much time alone - lacked character"
"Too much pissing about talking to muppets - lacked atmosphere"

"I hated the vehicles"
"Only two vehicles!!"

"It's not long enough"
"There's too much time spent in each location"

Etc, etc.
In a game with as much variation as HL2, it seems inevitable you can only please some of the people some of the time.

LMAO, nice job on warping everyone's points. You're taking them wrong.

1. On the too much time alone vs. the muppets.

You hardly ever had a squad with you, and when you did, they were a bunch of shallow (As in no character) extras only meant to die.

2. "I hated the vehicles" and "Only two vehicles" are both valid arguements that work together.

I thought the buggy was too hard to control, however that doesn't mean that there should automatically be no vehicles in the game. I would have liked more vehicles, and other people would have simply liked for them not to suck. How is this conflicting?

3. "It's not long enough" and "There's too much time spent in one location." is simply saying the game was too short, and lacked variety.

The criticisms do NOT counter-balance themselves.

My biggest, largest complaint is the goddamn load times. I mean wtf, I spend more time loading than playing usually.

Turn down the graphics or upgrade your PC, the maps where quite big in my opinion.

Jintor said:
I mean, Halo2 was AWESOME in places because of the awesome music blasting in your ears as tanks and wraiths blasting each other to pieces all around you....

um, no, that was pretty f***ing ghey. that game is a piece of thrash, and the definition of something not epic.

Halo 1=Brilliant
Halo 2=WTF have they done!!!!!

34. Annoying tomboy female main character added to make it appeal to a more mainstream audience. Swap Alex with that other lady that was in the lab and it would've been better.
35. Steam dependency slows load times hugely.
36. Only the overarching story is somewhat interesting, the immediate one with stupid kidnappings is just crap.
37. Too much travelling to all these random locations. The greatness of HL1 was Black Mesa.
38. Crappy short intro, most of which was shown in its entirety before the game was even released. The most famous part of of HL1 was the tram ride in.
39. Uninteresting enemies.
40. No decent RP section in the beginning, like walking around the lab in HL1 and putting on your suit. They tried it in HL2, but failed.
41. Maps aren't that good. Probably because of the acquisition of the Counter-Strike team.
42. It didn't feel like you were even in the same universe as HL1. It felt like an entirely different world, not a good thing in this case.

Complete agreement on 38 - I was sure we'd have some kind of gondola-esque cinematic intro sequence to end all into sequences, introducing us to city17 and hl2 in a bigger, grander tram ride. Big letdown there.

Also agree on 40. red letter day was like an ultra low-budget sitcom, I cringed at nearly every line in the game, beginning with "Barney, what do you intend?" "I dunno, I'm thinking!" Worst lines ever, coupled with terrible voice acting. The headcrab pet thing was stupid as hell, too.

StAtiC said:
My biggest, largest complaint is the goddamn load times. I mean wtf, I spend more time loading than playing usually.

This man speaks the truth.
I do have a shit computer but I went playing at my mates house and he has a 3.0 ghz computer , 9800 pro , etc
and when it finally gets excited the game starts loading, I mean: "OMG NOT AGAIN"-style

For me, it was the length and a few other things. Half-Life 2 had a pretty standard length, but given the time and all the anticipation, its singleplayer campaign should've been a lot longer. You also should've been able to carry unique and interesting conversations. It didn't have enough enemies or weapons. I would have loved to see the assassins and an even more higher level rank of combine soldiers. Half-Life 2 didn't have enough weapons. I personally would've loved to see:
1)FAMAS.
2)Stun Baton in Singleplayer.
3)Gauss Gun without having to use the buggy.
4)OICW.
5)Flamethrowers.
Overall, the game was really worth it. It had a good egnimatic feel and awesome scripted events.

Back