128 or 256?

Originally posted by scribblehead
Actually if you knew anything at all you would know that carmack has locked doom3 to run at a max of 60fps, you can't get anything higher

you r very correct, but only for the beta version we saw last year. :cool:

Originally posted by G0rgon
And when I said 16mb, I meant that there will be a big jump of performace when playing D3 on 256. And when PLay D3 on 128 you will get a sharp drop in fps just like playing HL2 on 128 and you get 60fps. playing HL2 on 16 maybe you get 2fps or less or more.

you get what I am saying.:cool:

TO sum up 256 is way better for future games. Also HL2 with 256, allow you to enable AA+FSAA with a res of 1600 by ... with out affecting the fps greatly. :cheers:

Thats simply not true gorgon.

Someone has already said this im sure......

Current GPU's dont have the power to make use of 256megs of ram.

Wait till the next gen if you want a 256meg card...buying a 256meg9800pro or 5900ultra is just wasting your money.

Originally posted by Dr. Freeman
u know its funny that just the other day i read a thread about how Valve is pushing the limits of today's hardware(and all the praises Valve got for this in that thread) and now today i come into this thread reading a comment about Doom3 and how 256 version cards might run that game better than 128mb versions and i find a post like the above..

im not a ID fanboy.. infact i love HL series more than the Doom series but theres a little hyprocrisy going around this forum as for as pushing today's hardwares' limits.. :|

Yeah but HL2 also runs on lower end systems, gorgon is saying that you will need 256mb of video ram to run D3 acceptably.

Friends-- I seek a card that will let me play on max settings with max AA/AF on 1046x768. Should I get a 9800 pro 128 or 256?

128. Unless you want to spend an extra $100 to gain 5 FPS and then smack yourself because the 9900 will be out soon? Eh?

I'm buying a 128MB card.

Thanks, very interesting and I hadn't seen this benchmark before. Now, all I need to see is a HL2 benchmark between the 128 and 256 Radeons. I could have sworn that it was confirmed that Hl2 will take advantage of the 256 cards...anyone know if this is true? If not, f the 256, by the time I'd need it my 9800 will be low-range anyway.

My god, I thought goron got banned. Friggin idiot man, keep your mouth shut if you are to ignorant to admit you are wrong. You are wrong.

Maybe Ill sell my 5900U 256 to a Doom3 Player and get his 9800 Pro. Lol.

Back