1UP visits Valve Software, new Episode 2 footage (plus Portal & TF2 interviews)

Ah, yeah now that you mention it it does sound like next, hmmm dammit!

From the video I got the impression that the chic from Valve either shouldn't have or didn't mean to mention the fact that the main character in Portal was a woman. Seemed like "her" just slipped in there by accident.
they said the female character would be a MAIN character... not the playable character... there is a difference. as for the video... kick ass!! tours and interviews with both insomniac and valve! i totally blew my video gaming load right there!
While that is true, the chic from Valve states that we will be "playing as".

I just accidentally deleted the whole thing, so I can't verify.

F****** shizzle GODDAMNED F****** SHIZZLE!!!!!!!!!!!! SHIZZLE SHIZZLE CRAPTARD! THE VIDEO IS TOO HIGH QUALITY FOR MY CRAPPY COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111oneoneone. I CAN'T WATCH IT PROPERLY!!!!! NOW I HAVE TO WAIT FOR SOMEONE DECENT ENOUGH TO PUT IT ON YOUTUBE OR FOR VALVE TO RELEASE A LOW QUALITY VERSION OF THE VIDEO THAT ISN'T IN FRIGGIN QUICKTIME OR UNTIL I WORK OUT A WAY NOT TO VIEW IT IN WINAMP..........GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111ONEONEONEONEONEONEONEONEONEONE ZOMG I'M ANGRY AS HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so did alyx's mother really die in black mesa? or did the gman snatch her up as well?

During the Portal section, the voice over the PA is saying, "We can no longer lie to you, when the testing is over you will be ...?" It sounds like missed but not sure.

It says minced. I thought this was known for a while now. It's an old video.

I've always heard "missed."

It seems better that way and more in character with everything else they say... it's more ambiguous. "Minced" seems too specific.

Actually, I managed to view it in WMP by deleting Winamp, Winamp was pointless to me, WMP is much better, the video was amazing, I've seen some footage of Resistance months before now and read about in a magazine, some are claiming this may be the first fps on a sony console to beat Halo 1, not Halo 2 or 3 but 1 definatly. Portal, TF2 and EP2 left me drooling over myself, (now I look like I p***** myself about 50 times) I really wanna get FF3 for my DS as well. I'm surprised they managed to pull off such good 3D graphics on the DS but it is Square. Anyway this means I can watch that Lost Coast trailer I've been wanting to watch for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages now. But now, time for some shut eye.........zzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm pretty sure she says:
"When the testing is over, you will be missed"
Yeah. And I think that before she says that, the intercom says something about how they aren't allowed to lie to the test subjects anymore or something. So then I'm assuming that "you will be missed" implies that they will attempt to kill you afterwards.

Check out the way the grass plants brush aside out of the way when the player moves through them. Cool!

"As part of a previously-mentioned required test protocol, we can no longer lie to you. When the testing is over, you will be – missed."
I'm pretty sure it is "missed," both because I can't hear an "n" sound at all and because that does indeed seem much more nonspecifically threatening and in-character, as it were, for that voice. :p

Just read first page, but from what I played of portal, it was without a doubt 100% certainty I was playing a male character.

I doubt that they would all of a sudden give them a sex change. I'm guessing that they perhaps did this to protect the identity of the character so nobody could by chance get a good look and try to figure out who he is. Sneaky sneaky ;)

*Edit* Mahalis: Yup, they say "Missed"

Oh, and no there is no full body awareness system in there... It's just like HL2 and all of the other games. At parts you need to look directly below you, and I'm sure they don't want the feet or err... other body parts getting in the way :p

"As part of a previously-mentioned required test protocol, we can no longer lie to you. When the testing is over, you will be – missed."
I'm pretty sure it is "missed," both because I can't hear an "n" sound at all and because that does indeed seem much more nonspecifically threatening and in-character, as it were, for that voice. :p

Really? Because I definitely hear an N.

Is this going to become the next "sense or silence" discussion? If it's so I heard "missed" and I was right about "silence" :)

Ah, yeah now that you mention it it does sound like next, hmmm dammit!

From the video I got the impression that the chic from Valve either shouldn't have or didn't mean to mention the fact that the main character in Portal was a woman. Seemed like "her" just slipped in there by accident.
While that is true, the chic from Valve states that we will be "playing as".

your right.. she did... but maybe shes just sexist and is tired of all the fps characters being male... i dont know...

Oh , that Fall of Men footage just inforced my negative impression of the game.

Resistance looks freaking amazing, looks similar to Halo, I can't wait to get it

I transcribed this myself, so correct me if I'm wrong:
Kim:
Every year Digipen holds an expo where they bring in game developers to take a look at student projects. And a couple of people from Valve came by, and saw Narbacular Drop, and brought us in to show the game to Gabe Newell, and apparently he must have really liked it, because he hired us on the spot. So.

Jeep:
Yeah, a lot of what made the idea is actually not coming up with a lot of ideas, but striping ideas away and simplifying it to the point where we have a very core concept. So, I mean a lot of the ideas we had with portals were very complex had weapons and entire cities full of things you had to chase down or whatever. And we're like, let's cut out all that and leave the portals and see what we have.

1UP:
You mentioned before that you're working on a multiplayer mode right now-

Kim:
Yeah, it's something we're planning on coming out with next. Right now Portal is only slated to be released as a single-player mode, but we definitely are working on it.

1UP:
I'm just kind of wondering how you would to that? Would it be a co-operative puzzle solving thing or would you try to do a competitive solve the puzzle for someone else?

Kim:
Well, I mean we have a bunch of ideas but we haven't figured out exactly which one we're going to go with yet.

1UP:
OK.

1UP:
Are we going to see it incorporated into Half-Life? I mean the series would be pretty cool, too. I mean, you think there might be long-term interaction, or?

Kim:
Well, it depends on several factors, one of which is player feedback; whether or not they want a Portal 2 or if they want see it intergrated into the other Half-Life single player games. And another thing, too, is we have several factors right now; like the AI for instance, it doesn't quite understand how to navigate through portals.
Putting it in the Half-Life 2 universe gives us a whole range of story things it can use. I think the enviroment lend themselves more to figureing out how to complete each challenge. With being a simplified test chamber kind of enviroment, I think really lends itself to the gameplay.

1UP:
So is is set in the Half-Life universe?

Kim:
Yes.

1UP:
In ways that it can continually overlap with exsisting?

Kim:
I can't really say just yet.

1UP:
In ways that can alter the story?

Kim:
Yeah, it will actually sync up with other things, but we can't say right now how it's going to do that.
Well, the character that you're using, we're going to be playing as is a new character in the Half-Life universe that will, her- the origins of this character will be clear, eventually.

Marc:
Portal is like one of those sort of parallel evolution games, that it's converged on where we're at in some ways. So even though those guys, for me personally, even though it came out of left-field, as it moved closer and closer to our universe it became sort of a fun challenge to see, they fill some gaps that we've had. Like 'Oh, that will fit in perfectly in the place where I didn't know what we were going to put there', and often it's as if the thing they've been building is getting it ready for this other thing to arrive. So, that's kind of how I feel about Portal, it solves some problems for us going forward, and it raises its own unique set of challenges, but it's pretty fun stuff to think about from just the story point of view.

Why did you feel the need to transcribe that interview? You got it right but..........why?

Pure sechs. Glad to know that Source isn't stagnating... :E

Although I don't know how well my rig can handle graphics like that.
I had hiccups with some Doom 3 mods and occasionally with NFS: MW :( (My gfx card is 128 MB as of today).

Why did you feel the need to transcribe that interview? You got it right but..........why?

He must have thought to help poor souls who didn't have the chance to download the vid., like me. :) That's nice.

And it's the written proof that we'll BE PLAYING WITH A FEMALE CHARACTER. Kim Swith tells it by mistake, I assume.

Maybe she lives in Xen and has Vortiguant-Human hybrid children, Vortigumans or Humiguants

I don't remember anyone saying anything about a portal gun on Opfor

He must have thought to help poor souls who didn't have the chance to download the vid., like me. :) That's nice.

And it's the written proof that we'll BE PLAYING WITH A FEMALE CHARACTER. Kim Swith tells it by mistake, I assume.

Maybe it's just that- a mistake, a lapsus. It' not a valuable proof like, say, the screenshots where the test subject is clearly a male.

I'm not excluding that the playable character will be female, but I'm not counting a slip like that as proof.

About opposing force:

There was a transplacer gun in the game, that was able to teleport the user to xen. It's not exactly the same as the portal gun, but it is still teleport-related tech.

Back