2 new pics have been posted. Real? Who knows.

Ive seen alot of games that take pictures from an early build and use them on the box. Just because those pictures have become to popular. Hell. . look on the main Valve website. They have some old pictures there.

mbrithoms said:
its not photoshopped, believe me I use photoshop for a living, its a press copy for review purposes, probably the son/daughter of a game mag or company/website

quoted myself for emphasis to the people who cant evidentally read

taylor just made a sticky :rolleyes: how boring
Taylor Sherman said:
Pics of "HL2 Boxes" etc
No posting of any HL2 box / disc / whatever shots.

If it were real, they you should send the info to us instead of posting here (just like links to cheat sites etc).

Not real, well then that's dumb anyway.

Anyway, post any more -> banned.

mbrithoms said:
quoted myself for emphasis to the people who cant evidentally read

You wouldnt just leave a disk like that around your 16+ year old children.

Easy, take a look at both boxes. Notice the flap cover, where you open it, is creased on one end, and on the other box, creased on the other end. If that were a real box, then it would be a Gordon face both front and back.

Tab said:
You wouldnt just leave a disk like that around your 16+ year old children.

lol despite the fact most here, myself included worship the hl2 forums everyday, some CEO's and Big game companys have more important things to worry about than a game being left around, and trust me that IS the reviews copy of the game

Ok, if it is real, answer this question: Why is it so pixelated around the edges of the box whereas the rest of the picture looks normal?

He posted pictures of both boxes. So the one with the MA16 or whatever could be the DVD and the one with the Valve could be the CD-ROM. Then again i dont know shit.

Killa_TJH said:
Ok, if it is real, answer this question: Why is it so pixelated around the edges of the box whereas the rest of the picture looks normal?

expand the picture to its proper size youll see its for real, I get payed alot of money for what I do which involves photoshop, show me a person that can do that and I will resign my position and give that said person my job.

AGAIN, its the review copy

mbrithoms said:
lol despite the fact most here, myself included worship the hl2 forums everyday, some CEO's and Big game companys have more important things to worry about than a game being left around, and trust me that IS the reviews copy of the game

I highly doubt that, that Big game company would get its ass sued off if his or her son broke the NDA.

eLGee said:
My guess is that it is a "reserved copy box". Sims 2 had something similar here in Sweden, and you got a sample CD with it with some goodies to watch. If you look at the first pic, theres a flap on the upper base, folded towards us. In the second pic, the flap is on the other side of the upper base, but the artwork still shows Gordon. Which means that the front and back has the same art,*edit: something a retail copy wouldn't have*
I guess the reason he blurred some part of the box and the CD is because they said something about it being a "reserve box" or a "sample CD".

There you have it.

Quoted for emphasis. And yes, I did write it. And if he did have both DVD and CD-boxes, why not show them both? Or why put the CD in the DVD-armaray? It doesn't add upp.

WiffleLess said:
He'd also have to be EXTREMELY talented. Look at the box. Look at near the thumb the imprint and the realistic crack of the cardboard.
I'm afraid you're easily impressed. Now there are two cracks!

And, no I didn't just clone it, it was a matter of roughly 20 blue-ish pixels.

Note: I'm not saying it's a fake image, just that your point was not strong. I've seen these boxes at my local EB.

you can pick at it and pick at it and pick at it all you want, its a review copy

its not actually its a promo box that retailers are putting on there shelves

3 doesnt look so real though lol.

The people over at steam are saying its a promo boxe. . but promo boxes dont come with cds. So either its fake or its real. Its not a promo box.

here is what some guys posted on the steamforums

http://img65.exs.cx/img65/9506/DSC00306Small.jpg

My inital thoughts was that it was real, due to what appears to be a manual inside the box.

The origin is from australia, you can tell by the OLFC rating marking
on the corner. OLFC are the classification board here in australia.

http://www.oflc.gov.au/content.html?n=124&p=68

I called three different stores, they all confirmed that they recieved
the promo boxes and put them on the shelfs a couple days ago.

There's two different types of boxes, your standard one and a PS2
style DVD case.

The bottom left hand corner has "display case/promotional box" which
is missing from the picture.

It's simply a PS2 style DVD case inside a standard box.

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/4426/DSC314.jpg

The bottom left hand corner is blurred, thats where the
"for promotional" marking should be.

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/2797/dsc00304.jpg
It's clearly a bubblejet + cdr label job.

If anyone wants any further proof, I'll head on down to EBGames and take some more photos of the pre-order box.

I'm from Australia, btw.

Sherman / Moderators:
My main account "NextWish" is broken, it's stuck in an activation stage, if someone could fix it up that would be great.

Killa_TJH said:
And it says HL3........
:) And I was lazy, changing only one of the '2's hehe. Note also that it's MA80+, and Gordon's glasses have an ungodly amount of highlight on them.

Yes, I was bored for 2mins.

MoD said:
...even with the since-removed hydra, i doubt they use those on the cd box.

Wait a secound... did I miss something? since when has the Hydra been removed?

As far as the screenshots... I agree with mbrithoms. If they are real, they must be advance review copies for review purposes.

Then again would Valve or Vivendi risk a leak to get more reviews? They've already racked up bunch of 96+ reviews, and they don't really need anymore to sell units. HL2 is destined to be one of the best sellings PC games of all time.

If it was fake, then the guy sure did a clean job. Old screen shots don't make it fake btw, like someone else pointed out, the official HL2 site has year old pictures on it with that exact same CNN quote "blows the competition away!"

Tab said:
3 doesnt look so real though lol.

The people over at steam are saying its a promo boxe. . but promo boxes dont come with cds. So either its fake or its real. Its not a promo box.

promo box is real

CD is obviously a label thats been printed

the quality on the cd compared with the other box pics is shite

Listen people. That shit is PHOTOSHOPPED. It doesn't even look that real. The edges of the box are pixelated and the box is flat.

RhapSidious said:
Wait a secound... did I miss something? since when has the Hydra been removed?

As far as the screenshots... I agree with mbrithoms. If they are real, they must be advance review copies for review purposes.

Then again would Valve or Vivendi risk a leak to get more reviews? They've already racked up bunch of 96+ reviews, and they don't really need anymore to sell units. HL2 is destined to be one of the best sellings PC games of all time.

If it was fake, then the guy sure did a clean job. Old screen shots don't make it fake btw, like someone else pointed out, the official HL2 site has year old pictures on it with that exact same CNN quote "blows the competition away!"

That would be me who stated about the old pics. Its true, alot of companies get an old pic they really like and keep it on their boxes. I dont know why. . .Im probably wrong. But I think this could be real.

If you look at the starcraft box, there are heaps of screenshots on it. All but 1 or 2 of them have at least one error in them (that's including the cinematic screens).

I know that Blizzard in particular often use really out-dated pre-beta screenshots on their box-art, I wouldn't be surprised if other companies did also.

Although the hydra in particular is a bit obvious and stupid to put on a box.

Toy said:
plz show me evidence that the hydra has been taken out?

YES, I am wondering this very much. I keep hearing it has been taken out but I don't think it's true. Show me evidence please!

There's a thread where Munro said the Hydra was taken out of the game , use the search function it's out there!

Evil^Milk said:
the hydra's in the box, so fake i guess...
It's not unusual for game boxes to use old screenshots. For instance, the original Half-Life box had screenshots of several scenes that weren't actually in the game. It takes a long time to design box art, and they usually start printing them months in advance.

IMO the box is real, the dvd case and cd is a fake, the dvd case does look ps2 like, but the box is to much of a high quality to be fake, probably like said before, promo box.

MoD said:
looks fake to me... the CD alyx looks totally photoshopped, and the box has all the old screenshots from over a year ago, even with the since-removed hydra, i doubt they use those on the cd box.

I know a guy who has played through RC1, the hydra is still in the game. (maybe that was the surprise spoken of)

well, i know a guy, who happens to be my sisters, aunties, boyfriends brother .. who has palyed all the way throuh rc! and he said .. your lying!

Toy said:
here is what some guys posted on the steamforums

http://img65.exs.cx/img65/9506/DSC00306Small.jpg

My inital thoughts was that it was real, due to what appears to be a manual inside the box.

The origin is from australia, you can tell by the OLFC rating marking
on the corner. OLFC are the classification board here in australia.

http://www.oflc.gov.au/content.html?n=124&p=68

I called three different stores, they all confirmed that they recieved
the promo boxes and put them on the shelfs a couple days ago.

There's two different types of boxes, your standard one and a PS2
style DVD case.

The bottom left hand corner has "display case/promotional box" which
is missing from the picture.

It's simply a PS2 style DVD case inside a standard box.

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/4426/DSC314.jpg

The bottom left hand corner is blurred, thats where the
"for promotional" marking should be.

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/2797/dsc00304.jpg
It's clearly a bubblejet + cdr label job.

If anyone wants any further proof, I'll head on down to EBGames and take some more photos of the pre-order box.

I'm from Australia, btw.

Sherman / Moderators:
My main account "NextWish" is broken, it's stuck in an activation stage, if someone could fix it up that would be great.

Thanks Toy - I was listening! BTW, fellow Aussie here mate!

rkef said:
I'm afraid you're easily impressed. Now there are two cracks!

And, no I didn't just clone it, it was a matter of roughly 20 blue-ish pixels.

Note: I'm not saying it's a fake image, just that your point was not strong. I've seen these boxes at my local EB.

That image is so obviously faked and photoshopped and/or a photo of a cut out pasted onto card...... so many probs with it. This one in this thread does look like a review copy, and so is probably real...

Back