Will the world end in 2012

• Yes

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 64 76.2%

• Total voters
The sooner the better, so that I can use the line 'So... you wanna die a virgin?' without sounding like too much of a pervert.

You'll still sound fairly pervy.

(All hail the Age of Kali.)

I thought this thread was about the Rush album, but then I remembered that was 2112.

Mayan civilization had collapsed by the 9th century and was totally wiped out by the 18th, so don't you think maybe they just hadn't bothered writing a calender past 2012? Hell, even figuring out a calender past 2000 was impressive enough.

So if you really are stupid enough to believe in prophecy from a ****ing calender, you might want to know Windows Calender only goes up to December 31st 2099.

What the **** does windows know? Mayans on the otherhand...

I would explain how the world will end and everything cause I just watched a show about it but I don't want to type all that. But it will.

the worlds not going to end. the mayans never said it would. its not a prophecy; its just the way the mayan calender works.

the maya were very advanced in their astronomy and mathematics and yes its true, they had a calender so precise that it could predict solar eclipses thousands of years in advance.

it works in cycles, just like we have weeks: sunday through saturday. the winter solstice 2012 is to saturday at the end of the week, then we start over.

never discredit the maya with "Oh, What did they know," or "why trust a thousand year old calender?" they were an sophisticated civilization with an advanced calender.
Get your facts right,

lawyered

:)

the worlds not going to end. the mayans never said it would. its not a prophecy; its just the way the mayan calender works.

the maya were very advanced in their astronomy and mathematics and yes its true, they had a calender so precise that it could predict solar eclipses thousands of years in advance.

it works in cycles, just like we have weeks: sunday through saturday. the winter solstice 2012 is to saturday at the end of the week, then we start over.

never discredit the maya with "Oh, What did they know," or "why trust a thousand year old calender?" they were an sophisticated civilization with an advanced calender.
Get your facts right,

lawyered

:)

No, your wrong.

Silly people.

The Mayans would have just produced a new calendar if they were still around in their old glory. It would have been updated for the times and probably sporting hot babes in crazy cool geographical locations.

The Stern ascension will occur again, and this time, he'll be unstoppable.

THE END I NIGH I TELLZ YA

The mayans knew it, and the faster you all come to terms with it, the faster we can all start getting ready.
And if, by some turn of events, it's not, it will not prove me wrong. Quite the opposite.

Are you ****ing kidding me? What proof do you have of this?

How are your opinions any less ****ed up than those of the Christian fundamentalists who think Jesus is about to return?

*facepalm*

What i base my opinion on:

Terrence McKenna's Novelty Theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna#Novelty_theory_and_.22Time_Wave:_Zero_Point.22

One of McKenna's ideas is known as Novelty theory. It predicts the ebb and flow of novelty in the universe as an inherent quality of time. McKenna developed the theory in the mid-1970s after his experiences in the Amazon at La Chorrera led him to closely study the King Wen sequence of the I-Ching. Novelty theory involves ontology, extropy, and eschatology.

The theory proposes that the universe is an engine designed for the production and conservation of novelty. Novelty, in this context, can be thought of as newness, or extropy (a term coined by Max More meaning the opposite of entropy). According to McKenna, when novelty is graphed over time, a fractal waveform known as "timewave zero" or simply the "timewave" results. The graph shows at what time periods, but never at what locations, novelty increases or decreases.

Considered by some to represent a model of history's most important events, the universal algorithm has also been extrapolated to be a model for future events. McKenna admitted to the expectation of a "singularity of novelty", and that he and his colleagues projected many hundreds of years into the future to find when this singularity (runaway "newness" or extropy) could occur. Millenarians give more credence to Novelty theory as a way to predict the future (especially regarding 2012) than McKenna himself. The graph of extropy had many enormous fluctuations over the last 25,000 years, but amazingly, it hit an asymptote at exactly December 21, 2012.[18] In other words, entropy (or habituation) no longer exists after that date. It is impossible to define that state. The technological singularity concept parallels this, only at a date roughly three decades later. According to leading expert Ray Kurzweil), another concept called cultural singularity (essentially cultural dissolution, or language dissolution, as in the novel Just a Couple of Days), parallels this as well.

I doubt I would have the time to feel silly, but its besides the point, if people on this forum can confidenly say that God does not exist, then I will confidently say that this will not exist, because frankly its just as farfetched and stupid as everyone else makes the God idealogy to be.

Timewave for the next month:

twztemprm3.jpg

I thought this thread was about the Rush album, but then I remembered that was 2112.

same

Mayan civilization had collapsed by the 9th century and was totally wiped out by the 18th, so don't you think maybe they just hadn't bothered writing a calender past 2012? Hell, even figuring out a calender past 2000 was impressive enough.

and this is what I was going to say.

how do we know the Mayans weren't like, "and 2011, and 2012, and OH SHI--"

scenario 1:
(the guy who knew how to write the calander dies)

scenario 2:
(they all died)

A suddenly the animator suffered a fatal heartattack!

*eek* plump

And the mayans, were no more.

Quality from Monty Pyphon's Holy Grail haha

Of course it is. I thought everyone knew this already.

Holy shit.

Funny last day of school for me and a few guys in class were talking about this exactly and I was like "..its just a calender D:" and they gave me a look like I was insane.

Back