30 Hours worth of gameplay

I don't know why people would think 30-40 hours is too long for a game. D3 is said to be 30-40 hours for the average player, and I would think stalker would far exceed either hl2 or D3 in gametime. How long was Farcry? I only played bits and pieces of it.

Maybe people have come to expect less from games like Unreal2?

far cry was about 20 hours, and i wouldn't really think 30-40 hours is long, it's just that it's an action game, and you don't want it to lose steam half way b/c of length, that's probably why the max payne games are so short

Inquisitor said:
I don't know why people would think 30-40 hours is too long for a game. D3 is said to be 30-40 hours for the average player, and I would think stalker would far exceed either hl2 or D3 in gametime. How long was Farcry? I only played bits and pieces of it.

Maybe people have come to expect less from games like Unreal2?

I remember Doom 3 was going to be 8-10 hours?
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. can easily be 100+ hours to fully complete it, but then again, it's a partial RPG so you'll have sidequests and stuff.

far cry was pretty long, more then 20 thats for sure. and DOOM³ will be around 20 hours

I remember a comment from me on some doom3 fan forum last year when that news came out

"WHAHAA DOOM³ has only 20+ while HL² has 40+ ... NAH NAH NANAAANAH!"

I remember Doom 3 was going to be 8-10 hours?

Not at all. JC said at one point that an experienced gamer could beat it in one weekend if he tried. People took this to mean it was really short, which is not what it means. Then JC came out and said no no no, it will be far longer than some other FPS released recently. The only official word was a few months after that, one of the devs said about 25-30 hours. Then a few weeks ago an offcicial source, it was either Activision or VicariousVisions(sp?) that said it was between 35 to 40 hours.

This is all relative though. Depends on how you play. I am a slow gamer, I like to relish the moment.

Remember that even when you finish the game, (an) expansion pack(s) will probably be released relatively soon thereafter. "Soon" for Valve, that is.

i say the first expansion pack for hl2 has you playing as alex

And the plot twist at the end to set up for HL3...

In a lab, Gordon is strapped to a table and the G man is slowly walking towards you with a headcrab in his hand and an evil smirk on his face.... Dun Dun DUNNNNNN!!!!

Pure BS speculation...but would be cool to leave it on a cliffhanger.

I like the idea of only being able to control Gordon in HL2. The only way they could make the plot twist is to actually headcrab him so you technically are still Gordon, but have to obey the combine / alien forces for a time until alex or eli de-crabs you.

may be the big plot twist will be that half you through the game you end up working for dr.breene

i think you are already working for him, because you are working for the G man - who in turn works for Breen.

the longer times were due to the fact that people liked to explore and see what they can do, and you can do A LOT of stuff.

i think you are already working for him, because you are working for the G man - who in turn works for Breen.

i always thought that the g-man and dr.breene had different ways of dealing with the combine, and the better way to deal with them was g-man's way, arn't you supposed to be opposeing breene?

Sai said:
i always thought that the g-man and dr.breene had different ways of dealing with the combine, and the better way to deal with them was g-man's way, arn't you supposed to be opposeing breene?

lol, ive been thinking breen is the leader of the combine, and its a combined superpower of breens human followers and the mysterious aliens! and that breens way of dealing with the alens is to work with them.

I am sure I am monumentaly wrong :O

Then a few weeks ago an offcicial source, it was either Activision or VicariousVisions(sp?) that said it was between 35 to 40 hours.

:rolleyes:

I'm sure whatever it is, you'll find that it will be exactly the perfect amount of time, so no worries!

What comes to the discussion about which characters you get to play I think Valve has announced there is no way to play as Alex..So you just have to survive without the airbags.

Lobster said:
lol, ive been thinking breen is the leader of the combine, and its a combined superpower of breens human followers and the mysterious aliens! and that breens way of dealing with the alens is to work with them.

I am sure I am monumentaly wrong :O
not even close.

when i first played hl1 ....id say it took me 35+ hours to beat.

I just played through it again for the first time in 5 years a few weeks ago.

It took me all of 15-20 hours. I should add that i didnt remember a damn thing about the game....so effectivley i hadnt played it before.

either it was subconscious memories :p or my gaming skills have improved and my style of play changed...

so i think that HL2 could take a l33t speed gamer no more than 25 hours the first time through....

or it could take gabes dad 60 hours.....

I'm suprised that people think just because their speed at finishing old games has improved that the estimates Valve gives are sudden based in fantasy land. If they say 40+ hours depending on how much time you spend playing with physic and exploring then its a good bet that this is based on a LOT of playtesting information and not just a marketing figure...

I highly doubt whether someone who was actually enjoying the game and isn't rushing through it too much would finish it under 35 hours...

Wolf said:
I'm suprised that people think just because their speed at finishing old games has improved that the estimates Valve gives are sudden based in fantasy land. If they say 40+ hours depending on how much time you spend playing with physic and exploring then its a good bet that this is based on a LOT of playtesting information and not just a marketing figure...

I highly doubt whether someone who was actually enjoying the game and isn't rushing through it too much would finish it under 35 hours...

ive heard alot of differant "estimates"....and that is what they are....

my whole point is that the estimates dont matter.....its up to you.

Back