Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
That's how many web addresses are available there now with IPv6. 340+ undecillion.

Quite a lot compared to 4 billion or so with IPv4

Not enough I say! We'll use that up in no time.

Well IP is Internet Protocol, and apparently the newest version is v6.

That's all I got so far.

This means that we won't be running out of unique addresses for internet-enabled devices any time soon.

Man that's just going to be so annoying to write out every time I want to go to valvetime.net or connect to a game server oh wait ip addresses almost never need to be written out and there's a thing called the clipboard.

I remember learning about this in a networking class. I wonder how long it will take us to 'need' an upgrade.

Man that's just going to be so annoying to write out every time I want to go to valvetime.net or connect to a game server oh wait ip addresses almost never need to be written out and there's a thing called the clipboard.
Minecraft.

Also LAN.

Also there's no need to be a dick.

There's no need to be a whiny bitch either. With longer and more annoying ip addresses, developers will just stop being stupid and allow you to paste from the clipboard in their software.

There's no need to be a whiny bitch either. With longer and more annoying ip addresses, developers will just stop being stupid and allow you to paste from the clipboard in their software.
Which is useless because only older games even have LAN, newer games don't.

Yeah, and my steam powered buggy isn't road legal. Things change and you cant use old things anymore. Deal with it.

Yeah, and my steam powered buggy isn't road legal. Things change and you cant use old things anymore. Deal with it.
I don't know what your deal is, I was just agreeing with Mutoidman saying it was annoying to write out. I didn't even make a big deal about it or anything. It's not like I said "OH MY GOD **** IPv6 I DONT WANT IT THE IP'S ARE JUST THE WORST". I just agreed and basically said 'yes it is annoying'.

So there it's over and done with. Drop it and move on.

I was more reflecting your overly defensive attitude towards what Vegeta posted. Then afterwards I agreed with Vegeta in saying its not really that annoying since you'll almost never be typing it. Drop it and deal with it.

I'm writing ip's constantly to join listen servers for a number of my game catalog. But still, it's optional unless games demand or restrict IPv4.

Because all IT work involves remembering ip addresses.

And anyone in IT wouldn't be complaining about this to begin with because they understand the advantages and why it's necessary.

Alright, fine, **** it, I'm wrong. They're just ugly and new and I hate them. There, ya all satisfied?!

Minecraft.
Actually you don't need to use the IP address if the server has a URL. A society in my University has a server that you can get on just by entering their website address because they host the website and minecraft server off the same machine.

Actually you don't need to use the IP address if the server has a URL. A society in my University has a server that you can get on just by entering their website address because they host the website and minecraft server off the same machine.
Yea I've been to a few servers like that (there are sites that have huge lists of servers), and it even saves it so you don't have to enter it again when you do it this way. I've got 3 different friends who host their own, and for each one you have to enter an IP every time. I mean I doubt Minecraft will even implement this, as it's already built with IPv4 or whatever the current is, my main point was just that there are games out there that you do need to manually type in the IP.

I don't have ipv6 connectivity. Is this to do with the ISP or router or what?

You guys definitely don't work in IT.

Why would anybody in IT care about IP's? Let the DHCP do the work for you. I only do static IP's at home for a very specific reason.

I already backpedaled and revealed the true origin of my sentiments *arms*

To further add to Mutoid's humiliating backpedaling (<3), I too work in the IT field, as a full time PC Repair technician. Though to be fair I usually dont have a whole lot of interaction with IP addresses since I'm mainly fixing people's broken shit, not setting up new shit.

Anything that makes network address translation obsolete is a good thing. I could never really get my head around that stuff. I long for a day when every computer really does have its own unique IP address, it sounds so much simpler than the current system. IPv6 is supposed to simplify and increase the efficiency of a whole bunch of internet shit, including routing, which I can only presume will make the internet faster.

But god damn those addresses are **** ugly and I'll never get over it.

Back