3DS to MDL

process

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been covered but I had a quick look and couldn't find anything.

I'm looking for a 3DS to MDL plugin so I can import max models into hammer. I had a google but I'm really not sure what to get -

can anybody help please =)

There isn't a direct converter - you need to export the SMDs from Max, put together a QC file, then run it through studiomdl.
You need this plugin to export SMDs; once you've got those made, just follow the non-Blender-related bits of this tutorial. :)

Oh! Thanks...I'm a little surprised that all that has to be done in order to import a model to hammer but if thats the way to do it then thats the way to do it

Thanks again =)

Oh I forgot to ask - does this method of conversion support bone models/bone animations?

Oh! Thanks...I'm a little surprised that all that has to be done in order to import a model to hammer but if thats the way to do it then thats the way to do it

Thanks again =)

Oh I forgot to ask - does this method of conversion support bone models/bone animations?

yes and i think we're all a little surprised. the hl2 file architecture is a nightmare to newbies, the reason they kept it is because the original quake and hl1 used it and i guess that meant that it fit well in their pipeline.

Back