3rd test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaFreak

Reaction score
Is this the third test?
www.half-life2.com/admin

when you go to that url you are given a username/password box titled TEST.

I can't take the honor for this. It was Manook who discovered it but it was somewhere hidden in the hl2.php thread so i thought it d be more obvious out here :)

I have an odd feeling it "might" just be the admin panel for the website...

Though I doubt anyone would care.

Bobcat said:
I have an odd feeling it "might" just be the admin panel for the website...

Though I doubt anyone would care.

Thats what i thought but dont think so. Why would it say TEST?

:cheers: :bounce: :rolling: :imu: :imu: :rolling: :bounce: :cheers:

Sorry, just had to use smiley spam to convey my happiness.

Found the admin one a while ago but thought it must have been the admin for the site. But with all the hacking etc.. I would have thought they would have the admin folder in an hard to guess folder name or stored locally.....

Well i looked at the source for all the pages possible in the hl2.php and didnt find anything but i might have missed something.

hmm *twidles thumbs* the fact that its /admin/ doesnt seem to make sense that its a test, maybe they are just testing themselves. If it was the third test I would have thought the comment would be something like "This is the third test" sort of like how it was for the second one.

Maiby they are only setting up "the third test"... Don't know...

If we crack it, we might get the gold date or something! o_O! Start crackin' damn it!

What does PHP stand for? Is it the name of the game?

PHP stands for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor." It's a recursive acronym. Basicly, that means the acronym is, by definition, a phrase with another acronym or the same one inside it.
Kinda makes ya wonder where they originally thought up "PHP."
Why not UGH? UGH Grammer Handler. Yeah, I'm bored.

PHP stands for "PHP Hypertext Preprocessor." It's a recursive acronym. lol

Argh man! I'm getting tired. That was a dump question... I knew that...

Why is it not on the front page? This is the 3rd test!!!11!1!

The_Monkey said:
Why is it not on the front page? This is the 3rd test!!!11!1!

The Admins and Mods are playing a game of soggy muffin. Give them a couple hours.

Yeah, really doubt it is a test. Many sites have admin areas that are off the root in a password protected admin folder (I have done it in my own sites).

halflife2.net reputation...

It looks like were the site that is the best at cracking these tests and finding out the answers...this was a post at hl2fallout forums:

QUOTE (//exec extreme.exe @ Sep 23 2004, 01:26 PM)
someone post this on other hl2 forums, I have no idea how to crack the passwords

Its already been posted on HalfLife2.net. They'll eventually solve it... END QUOTE

Looks like were the ones to solve things around here, you all should be proud!!!

Guys, I would imagine that the /admin page is actually administrator access to each of the site's content management systems to allow the Valve guys to post news on the website.

It's common that websites used web-based PHP forms to upload content.

e.g. http://www.halflife2.net/admin_news.php :p

That's where we post ours, I imagine the URLs you've found is where Valve posts theirs.

EDIT: There's one on Steampowered.com too

maximus0402 said:
It looks like were the site that is the best at cracking these tests and finding out the answers...this was a post at hl2fallout forums:

QUOTE (//exec extreme.exe @ Sep 23 2004, 01:26 PM)
someone post this on other hl2 forums, I have no idea how to crack the passwords

Its already been posted on HalfLife2.net. They'll eventually solve it... END QUOTE

Looks like were the ones to solve things around here, you all should be proud!!!

^Thats my thread.:D

Chris_D said:
Guys, I would imagine that the /admin page is actually administrator access to each of the site's content management systems to allow the Valve guys to post news on the website.

It's common that websites used web-based PHP forms to upload content.

e.g. http://www.halflife2.net/admin_news.php :p

That's where we post ours, I imagine the URLs you've found is where Valve posts theirs.

EDIT: There's one on Steampowered.com too

Then why would it say "Test?"

Harryz said:
Then why would it say "Test?"
If it was anything to do with one of our tests, then it wouldn't be on every single Valve website...

EDIT: There's even one at http://www.cs-conditionzero.com/admin

Can't you see, that the "admin" part actually does relate to the fact that it's the standard access point for the site admins to access administrative features on the sites?

:dozey: It isn't THE third test, possibly one of the tests though. Remember when the forums would get attacked by spoiler posts? I clicked one, it lead me to what the third test is(not really sure if it is THE 3rd test). It's pretty safe to say what it is because it's nothing too spoiler, it was a pic of Father Gregori. You find it in one of the steam pre-loads.

@Chris_D - Good point. Why do you always have to ruin our fun with your smart ass comments?:p

ailevation said:
:dozey: It isn't THE third test, possibly one of the tests though. Remember when the forums would get attacked by spoiler posts? I clicked one, it lead me to what the third test is(not really sure if it is THE 3rd test). It's pretty safe to say what it is because it's nothing too spoiler, it was a pic of Father Gregori. You find it in one of the steam pre-loads.

So are you...are you saying that...that you know what the third test is? All hail the prophet

Seppo said:
So are you...are you saying that...that you know what the third test is? All hail the prophet
He doesn't know what the third test is. The spoiler attackers titled the spoiler threads with "Third test" references to get more people to open the threads and view the content. Obviously the content being a link and a spoiler. The link obviously generating yet another spoiler thread.

See the "cleverness" behind it? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back