4.8 Cat's

Asus

Reaction score
Anyone wanna take the risk and grab these leaked Beta's?
Link
They should be released next month.

I will, i'll let you know how they run. Anything you want me to test it on?

So.. are these supposed to have better OpenGL performance? I'd DL them if that's the case..

Well, since Far Cry is a DX9 game, I don't really have anything good to try it out on.

Hmm... How about the Jedi Outcast demo? That's Open GL. What card do you have? Cause if it's a good Radeon it'll probably run that well anyway.

Ok guys, Cats are installed, restarted my comp, loaded up Far Cry and i've noticed a slight FPS increase. I have a Radeon 9800. No errors so far for me!

I'm tempted to DL these.. but I JUST went back to ATI's 4.7 last night.. omega drivers were giving me problems

DNA drivers are pretty stable and they give a slight increase in fps (especially in DX2, which runs like crap on Cat 4.6, 4.7).

Before this I was using the 4.7 cats. Well, I hope this will give me better Doom 3 performance right off the bat.

I've downloaded them and going to install them. First I want to do some benchmarking. So it will be an hour or two before I tell you firm results.

Yeah, I do with my 5200. Before I really couldn't play with even 640x480 at LOW settings, now I'm running 800x600, AA low and at I'd say 40 fps. I could maybe turn a couple things to medium but I don't care, I'll wait till xmas.

Well, thanks for informing us Asus. They work great for me! Do you know if anything will change when the final version is released?

I didn't really notice a big difference myself.
Most of the difference is in multi lighted areas.

Uh, only the newest Nvidia card has support for 9.0c and no games have come out utilizing it yet. Bullocks.

Asus said:
I didn't really notice a big difference myself.
Most of the difference is in multi lighted areas.

That's why we need Doom 3. When I said it runs great, I mean I haven't had any problems yet.

Downloading the drivers and 9.0c...we'll see if Thief 3 has an increase, I don't play much OpenGL games.

Evil Beaver said:
Uh, only the newest Nvidia card has support for 9.0c and no games have come out utilizing it yet. Bullocks.

There is a difference between 9.0c features and just installing DX 9.0c and getting better frame rates.

A DX7 or DX8 card need in most cases DX9.x installed before they can go play a new game! If your card don't support DX9.0c that doesn't mean you can't run DX 9.0c

The thing with D3 though is no matter how uber your card is for D3, any of the top end cards will run it at 60FPS with awesome detail.
OO my 6800 can run it faster in D3 even though we will never see that actually happen since it's capped at 60FPS. :upstare:
hehe

Asus said:
The thing with D3 though is no matter how uber your card is for D3, any of the top end cards will run it at 60FPS with awesome detail.
OO my 6800 can run it faster in D3 even though we will never see that actually happen since it's capped at 60FPS. :upstare:
hehe

Yeah, but it makes those of us without top end cards feel better about being poor! :D

I wonder if there is a way to take off the fps cap... Like taking of vsync or something.

Anyways, I was also wondering about dx9.0c... Do i need to uninstall 'b' first?

Shouldn't need to uninstall at all.
It isn't like graphics card drivers.

Okay, I just tested out the 4.8 Cats. There is little to no performance improvement with the 4.8 Cats if 2.0b is enabled. However, I decided to run a couple of tests (4.8 cats) without 2.0b enabled and was amazed that the performance was nearly the same as if I had enabled 2.0b. I didn't do all of the time demos (I only did control and volcano) but the performance was nearly the same. I can't explain it since 2.0b is supposed to cause the speed increase, not the drivers. Either there is some other reason for the X800 Pro getting faster or ATI drivers are enabling the 2.0b by default. Confusing results if you ask me. I haven't had the time to compare my results to anything else.

I also made some cool graphs in excel. However, I didn't write down the performance numbers with 4.8 cats without 2.0b.

XP 2800+
1 GB Ram
X800 Pro

1280 by 1024 resolution, all settings max, 4AA with 8 AF

It seems people are "thinking" that they are turning on this and not really turning on the 2.b.... Their is some arguing going on as to weather these actually have 2.b ... One person that claims to have got it to turn on said that in the far cry bench or ingame it lets u know that you are running 2.b beta. if its on... The beta testers over at rage3d are saying that 8.04 what we have didnt have the new stuff.... 8.041 does. THANK YOU ASUS FOR LEAKING THE OLDER VERSION!

Not to incuroge illegal activity... But if someone knows a friend that knows a friend.. you get the idea... Can we get a FPS from 4.7 and the 4.8 on the DOOMIII umm what ever you want to call that thing... Just post data you have seen some where else...

Hold on. They 4.8's I spent an hour testing don't even have 2.0b in them? That would explain my test results. But that means there is a further performance increase with the 4.8's than what I have already seen. :O

Are the newest betas floating around on the net?

I don't test pirated software (except hardware drivers :D).

OO my 6800 can run it faster in D3 even though we will never see that actually happen since it's capped at 60FPS.
Im happy its capped at 60FPS. Im tired of poeple turn down the detail just so they can get a higher FPS in mulitplayer games.

Bigger new guys... They benched these 4.8's over at DNA's fourm and they are scoreing higher than DNA's "known for insane fps with the cat drivers"... The DNA guy sas he will have the DNA's off this pack tomarrow... Weather this thing has 2.b or not no one seems to really know. I have yet to install these to play with them.

mayro said:
Bigger new guys... They benched these 4.8's over at DNA's fourm and they are scoreing higher than DNA's "known for insane fps with the cat drivers"... The DNA guy sas he will have the DNA's off this pack tomarrow... Weather this thing has 2.b or not no one seems to really know. I have yet to install these to play with them.

Wait, so they're making DNA drivers based on the 4.8 Cats, and they will be out tomorrow?

mayro said:
Not to incuroge illegal activity... But if someone knows a friend that knows a friend.. you get the idea... Can we get a FPS from 4.7 and the 4.8 on the DOOMIII umm what ever you want to call that thing... Just post data you have seen some where else...
My friend has that DoomIII whatchamacallsit
But my friend doesnt want to risk downloading beta drivers, he had an Nvidia card and downloaded some beta drivers for that awhile ago and it screwed his card. So he got a 9800 Pro

Anyway, he's a punce

Go check it out on his fourm. I mean come on... if DNA 4.7 benchmarks are getting beat by ATI standerd benchmarks... what do you think will happen when DNA works his magic on them? "For people playing DOOM3 i dont recomend at this time planing on useing OMEGAS driver as he does his for quality and not speed. If you are wanting your FPS to go up for DOOM3 use DNA or ATI base.

Ati seems to like omega and dislike DNA becuase he didnt have their EULA in a few of his drivers and had a all out war with a ATI fourm guy. I have used the DNA and the OMEGA and hate to say ive never used a real plain ATI driver. So for speed use DNA for uber quality use OMEGA.

Hmmm...I just compared my results of my Far Cry tests to Tech Report (the place I grabbed my demos from). Even with the 4.7's or 4.8's my X800 Pro was behind in some areas but way ahead in others. I don't know if I should attribute it to processor speed (mines a XP 2800, their's a A64 3800+) or something. My computer appears to have problems with the Training, Control, and Regulator levels (roughly 10 FPS slower than it should be). My computer is way faster than their tests with the Volcano and Research levels (10 FPS than it should be).

i dont know, im downlaoding the new Drivers now for my Radeon 9800pro. Also we got to keep in mind that these are only betas of the drivers so they will ost liekly be different when they are released but ill try and give some simple info on how good they work later

ever since i got my Ati card i have always used the official Cat drivers for my card.
can anyone explain the difference between Cats/Omegas/DNA's drivers?

to be honest.. this is the first time i am hearing of Omegas and DNA drivers.. so im clueless as to what these other drivers provide that the Cats don't..

Well the Cat 4.8 drivers dont really seem to improve my 3dmark score, with DNA 4.7 drivers my score was 5514, with the 4.8 drivers my score was 5522. A whomping 8 points increase. However i noticed in games there was a slight increases in fps and games seem to run much smoother (even that d3 thingy ;)) So i cant wait till these drivers get officially released

Catalyst drivers are the main functioning drivers that power your ATI card. These drivers have settings that are pre defined the way ati wants it to be. Omega drivers are drivers released on omegadrivers.net that are the catalyst drivers optimized for looking better instead of running faster. He also tags some nice extras in their for over clocking and such. DNA drivers are drivers again based off the catalyst drivers except when he sets them up and does his tweaks he makes them look ok but you useually get a nice FPS boost from his drivers.

Really they all use lets say for instance 4.8 was the final. They would take the 4.8 and edit the settings for it and tweak some things here and their. As far as i know if we had the ability to use ATI's source code we could have done a long time ago what they are doing now. The best way for some people to comprehend these differnt packages is like this, When you get a hamburder it taste great! If you add cheese to it it taste even better. If it turns out to be a white castle you learn their isnt a speedlimit on your bum :)

Back