5 new gameplay videos

In all fairness, video 3 just looked like Water Hazard except in a buggy... but then the fast zombie jumped INTO the car and I was back to OMFG!! again.

The Antlion nest thing looks sickeningly awesome, too. Can't wait for this game.

The antloin nest almost reminds me of Xen back in HL1, all it needs now is a tentacle.

fighting antlions in enclosed spaces? done to death.
:(
Personally, I love the idea of playing through the hive - sounds like it could be very tense, as you're so vastly outnumbered in such a claustrophobic space. It looked wonderful as well.
Plus it's nice to see the vortigaunts kicking carapace.

I Love the the newer Higher-Res Antloin Gore, its F**king awesome!!!

Im Lovin' it!!!!!!!

I don’t think the portal player is a young Gman. The portal gun is too simular to the gravity gun to be set that far in the past.

Then again there's Gman’s quote at the end of Opposing Force suggesting he went through something arduous at some point.

"I admit I have a fascination with those that adapt and survive against all odds they rather remind me of myself"

Still I doubt Laidlaw had the menacing portal facility in mind when he wrote that

I don’t think the portal player is a young Gman. The portal gun is too simular to the gravity gun to be set that far in the past.

Then again there's Gman’s quote at the end of Opposing Force suggesting he went through something arduous at some point.

"I admit I have a fascination with those that adapt and survive against all odds they rather remind me of myself"

Still I doubt Laidlaw had the menacing portal facility in mind when he wrote that

It would be a cool story point, it would make relative sense and be a cool background for g-man, the only downside, and it's a big one, is that having the player be G-man for even a few hours completely destroys the mysticism of the character. So thanks for the idea, but no thanks.

i love how some of the antlions glow. Like the glowing guard.
Also the new gore effects. And i'm glad they gave the vortigaunts some crazy new moves. Like that tackle/schock

I love how they got the combine troops to toss your nades back at you. Like a lethal game of hot potato.

The driving looks like it will get increasingly interesting with fasties and who knows what else able to latch on for the ride.

The cinematic physics look kick ass. they really give the strider blasts a lot more oomph. Where in hl2 we only saw an explosion + crumbly croncrete gibs, now we see all sorts of more stuff. Plus i don't think cinematic physics are totally scripted. I think its more along the lines of the major parts are scripted and the remaining parts are random.

all in all this looks like its shaping up for some major badassery

Yes, I believe "cinematic physics" combines model animation with physics - a model animates for some time (or a script is working) and then physics take over.

On the other side, since Episode Two introduces multi core CPU support, maybe the second CPU core can handle all the fancy physics in real-time?

is it just me or does the vortigaunt say 'we recommend... sex' in the first video.

a comment says it's actually 'silence', but he definately says 'sex'. i wouldn't put it past valve to have the vautigaunt say this, as sex is important for people, especially when they're in stressful situations, maybe it's one of their funny little jokes.

I don't know what I hear him say exactly, but it isn't 'sex'.

It is is "sense". After watching the higher res videos on IGN , there's no doubt.

Those gameplay video’s and the trailer are awesome!

The Antlion nest reminds me of Xen. The forest looks great. But I don’t really like the helicopter fight. It reminds me to much of Water Hazard.

When I was reading the PCGamer article some time ago, the Strider Busters sounded great. But in the gameplay trailers, I don’t really like them yet. After firing a Strider Buster at the Strider, it only takes 2 shots of the pistol to take the Strider down… That’s ridiculous.

And it doesn’t seem the Strider Buster needs a long time, or time at all, to drain the Strider’s energy. Hopefully Valve will adjust the use of the Strider Busters. Right now it’s a little bit too easy to kill a Strider.

And according to an old PCGamer article, the Hunters are suppose to protect the Striders and shoot down the Strider Busters. I didn’t see them do that in the gameplay video’s.

I didn't read that in PCGamer and besides, it isn't like the Hunters were given much chance.

From the video , it doesn't seem the buster drains energy , it seems to be just a shootable mine on the Striders top. Though , why would the strider exolode from the mine , if 6 rockets don't bring it down , so i guess it does drain energy. They still have alot of time to set the timing and all.

I just really hope Hunters can shoot while running.

I'm confused, because I think the strider buster flashes faster then explodes, but it could just be it draining the strider so you can shoot it.

Bah.

And i'm glad they gave the vortigaunts some crazy new moves. Like that tackle/schock
I know - makes avatar :)

But I don’t really like the helicopter fight. It reminds me to much of Water Hazard.
True. But this time you don't have a fancy gun to take it down.

When I was reading the PCGamer article some time ago, the Strider Busters sounded great. But in the gameplay trailers, I don’t really like them yet. After firing a Strider Buster at the Strider, it only takes 2 shots of the pistol to take the Strider down… That’s ridiculous.
Yes but think of how many Striders were in that clip compared to the one Buster. It looks like there will be a lot of Striders in that level and with (from what I could see) no rockets to take them on with.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the Vortigaunt says "sense" - we will find out within a couple of days when the hi-res steam versions of those clips come out.

Yes but think of how many Striders were in that clip compared to the one Buster. It looks like there will be a lot of Striders in that level and with (from what I could see) no rockets to take them on with.

There was a hole shelf of them jsut visible on one of the trailers - someone here froze a screenshot of it...search the forums you should find it.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the Vortigaunt says "sense" - we will find out within a couple of days when the hi-res steam versions of those clips come out.

Once again PC Gamer f**s it up by getting my hopes up for Friday. :hmph:

Back