50 different enemies?

Claws

Reaction score
I was reading the HL2 info here at hl2.net and they mention 50 different enemies. Can anyone tell me where this is confirmed?

Not sure how many enemies the original Half-Life had, but Unreal Tournament 2003 had around 50 different character so, it could be possible. Also, if the site said there will be 50, chances are there wil be.:cheers:

It has unlimited enemies because beings can deform into random shapes at will!

*Don't listen to me...

Loads of enemys = loads to kill :sniper:

Would be cool if its true, a big variation in enemys is nice so you're not fighting the same all the time.

The coolest thing is that all of the NPC's will look different each time you play. (not the important ones though)

LoneDeranger, they won't really, they just have a whole buttload of different faces. Odds are you'll start to recognise them after a while.

Unfortunately, we don't know what counts as an enemy.

Do NPCs count? Because in HL1, all characters were technically considered "monsters."

Do the three versions of the headcrab zombie (normal, stocky, and sporty) count as one enemy, or three?

Etc.

But from what we've seen, the enemies we do see all look VERY different from each other in terms of what they can do. I can't wait to see what new tricks some of the old enemies have (especially the barnacle)

so there is 50 enemies, and each has 3 variations? or did u mean the headcrab counted as three?

No, I meant there are 3 different versions of the headcrab

light, bulky, and a flying(?) one

:>~ doesn't know anything more than I do azmodan.

ok, but i thought he meant that there were a headcrad, 3 different types of them. and then lets say the...uhm zombies, thrre different types of them, and all enemies more than 1 sort of each..if u understand what i mean ;)

This thing about faces is weird. Maybe it's just a co-incident, but the security guard in the video when Gordon and friends storms the wall, looks exactly like the one in the example picture.

But:

1. Maybe they don't want to show to much of the game
2. Maybe he is a special person, and you will always meet him.
3. Something else =)

P.S

And why the **** am I Zombie again? I was Prowler or something last time i checked. Is it because I was inactive a while? Although it's not the whole world...

I'm pretty sure that they've counted deifferent variation of the same enemy as an entirely new enemy....eg. the three variation of head-crabs mentioned count as three different enemies.

NiteStalker, they changed the thingies around.
Instead of over 50 = zombie it's like over 150 = zombie, or something... that's just my guess. But like you said it doesn't matter.

Originally posted by NiteStalker
This thing about faces is weird. Maybe it's just a co-incident, but the security guard in the video when Gordon and friends storms the wall, looks exactly like the one in the example picture.

But:

1. Maybe they don't want to show to much of the game
2. Maybe he is a special person, and you will always meet him.
3. Something else =)

thats barney from HL1 so he would be the same init

i think it's not that the faces are randomly generated every time you play, it's that every character in the game (every NPC anyhow) has a unique face and there will also be a number of skin tones. a good example of this is the first city 17 video, where you see the resistance fighters (in white) and there are a bunch of different ones, even though they are in uniform. one has cornrows, i believe, another is really pale, etc.

were you to get to that level three different times, on three different computers, for example, i think the guys would be the same guys. they just won't look identical to each other. that's another feature that will greatly help with character association, i think. when you can remember a face, and it actually belongs to one person, then you can care about more than what they say to you.

In HL1, i would only feel bad when a scientist or barney was killed after he had said something to me, making me feel like he was really relying on me. If i can see that in an NPC's face, then it'll make the game that much better.

There was 23 enemies in HL1. That's not counting other things classed as monsters such as the scientists or barneys.

Wow there are flying headcrabs? Weee!

Freeman: TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

G-Man: When Headcrabs learn to fly, Mr. Freeman.

Freeman: What, like that one? *points*

Headcrab: Flap Flap Flap.

G-Man: ...

what was it that gabe said about monsters? that his favorites where ones that used effects that most people only used as fluff? i take that to mean that there will be enemies that use shaders as camo, weapons, or some sort of handicapping effect to you (melting into the walls, warping your vision or the level, blinding you with flashes of something...who knows, i'm excited)

Originally posted by Wesisapie
NiteStalker, they changed the thingies around.
Instead of over 50 = zombie it's like over 150 = zombie, or something... that's just my guess. But like you said it doesn't matter.

Thanx Wesisapie, that is very possible, did you get "de-promoted" too? But as we both say, it doesn't really matter, hehe

I really wouldnt doubt it if there were more than 50 enemies in HL2, ife theres really 23 in HL1

Originally posted by Spiffae
what was it that gabe said about monsters? that his favorites where ones that used effects that most people only used as fluff? i take that to mean that there will be enemies that use shaders as camo, weapons, or some sort of handicapping effect to you (melting into the walls, warping your vision or the level, blinding you with flashes of something...who knows, i'm excited)

I think he meant enemies that heavily used the physic system at their advantage...like when the zombies hurl barrels at the player.

maybe somebodyusing the terrain deformation? like the earthquake weapon in Battlezone....would be cool.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
This could ensue flying zombies, surely.. :p

imagine a winged head-crab attaced to a zombie flying around lifting the zombie by the head...lol

Originally posted by Ghost
Wow there are flying headcrabs? Weee!
Freeman: TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!
G-Man: When Headcrabs learn to fly, Mr. Freeman.
Freeman: What, like that one? *points*
Headcrab: Flap Flap Flap.
G-Man: ...

bwahhahahhaha! i seriously laughed for like a minute, now i can't breathe. aha haah...oh man that was great...

oh sorry...for some reason when I looked thru the thread for "Ghost" he was like the only one I didn't find....weird

I wonder if a camelion effect would be possible, cos that would KIK SUM SERIOUS ASS. ahem sorry. neway, my dream monster in HL2 would be a sort of giant turantula spider (cant spell it :p)
It could run up walls and stuff and maybe jump really far. That would scar the shit outa me in City 17. And i mean giant. Like maybe half the hight of a strider ! :D

To get to 23, though, you have to be sort of generous with what you call an "enemy"

1 headcrap
2 headcrap scientist zombie
3 dogeye
4 alien slave w/ charm bracelets
5 bullsquid
6 Giant hemmaroid barnacle
7 soldier (4 types w/ same AI, appearing randomly)
8 Osprey
9 alien grunt
10 attack helicopter
11 tentacle
12 garg
13 snark
14 leatherbabe assassin
15 military turret (i'll count freestanding and wall mounted as one)
16 orbhead
17 baby headcrap
18 Queen Nutsack
19 King Fetus
20 Scary fish-lion
21 leech
22 alien lightning turret
23 ???

Harmless thingies (not really enemies, but presumably have some AI)
1 alien dropship
2 Xen bird/triangles
3 cockroach
4 Huge cargo loader robot that's incredibly cool that you never ever get to interact with or see outside of the tram ride
5 Military jet

People:
1 Barney
2 Construction Guy (rarely seen, almost no AI)
3 Scientist (4 types w/ same AI, appearing randomly)
4 G-man
5 Gina hologram

All told, pretty impressive: at least 32 things with distinct AI routines and model types.

Originally posted by Apos
Harmless thingies (not really enemies, but presumably have some AI)
1 alien dropship
2 Xen bird/triangles
3 cockroach
4 Huge cargo loader robot that's incredibly cool that you never ever get to interact with or see outside of the tram ride
5 Military jet

People:
1 Barney
2 Construction Guy (rarely seen, almost no AI)
3 Scientist (4 types w/ same AI, appearing randomly)
4 G-man
5 Gina hologram

All told, pretty impressive: at least 32 things with distinct AI routines and model types.

Umm, the dropship, Xen birds, cargo loader, jet, construction guy, Gina, and G-man all had no AI, they were only used in scripted events. And barney and the scietists had little more then pathfinding code (and a bad one at that).

I'll give you the jet, since it was basically just a moving brush.

But sure the others had AI: I have the SDK. It was just very simple. You don't know what a "scripted event" is if you think a basic routine is a scripted event.

ok wut about hl2 tho, what things have we seen in dat' so far? we gots the flying manatee gunship thing, the striders, combine soldiers, barney/gman/alex(can we count her breasts as seperate entities?)/that other scientist uhh those little spy dealies that flew by the window... zombies, headcrabs err i'm out.. lol

Originally posted by Aethaecyn
ok wut about hl2 tho, what things have we seen in dat' so far? we gots the flying manatee gunship thing, the striders, combine soldiers, barney/gman/alex(can we count her breasts as seperate entities?)/that other scientist uhh those little spy dealies that flew by the window... zombies, headcrabs err i'm out.. lol
Flying buzzsaws, prowler, hydra, secret police, bullsquids, barnicles...

The huge ass moving fortress at the center of City 17 that will transform into Mecha-Mr. T.

Originally posted by Ghost
The huge ass moving fortress at the center of City 17 that will transform into Mecha-Mr. T.
HOLY SHIZA! :afro:

Back