6800 Ultra or X800XT P.E.

K

KidRock

I still cant decide on which to get..Everyone tells me that the x800xt is better in DX9 and more games will be in DX9 but will the 6800 ultra really trail THAT much from the x800xt in DX9? Can some people give me the ups and downs of both cards.

6800 Ultra handsdown it is the BEST card out there
but make sure yur comp wont bottle neck it so plz post yur specs

RussianEmpire said:
6800 Ultra handsdown it is the BEST card out there
but make sure yur comp wont bottle neck it so plz post yur specs

FX-53
1 gig of ram.

the works basiclly.

holy shit thats a nice pc :eek:
get 6800 ultra youll have a dream machine man!!!!!!! :cheers:

RussianEmpire said:
holy shit thats a nice pc :eek:
get 6800 ultra youll have a dream machine man!!!!!!! :cheers:

Any certin reason why? I am leaning a little more toward the 6800 Ultra since I have had a better experience with Nvidia then ATI.

I got a x800xt and im pretty happy with it, no complaints. the only one I can think of are the ATI drivers, but they'll improve over time. From what I've seen t x800xt beats the ultra in most tests, the exceptions being d3 and a few other opengl games such as call of duty. Neither card is bad, you won't lose either way.

well i have a 6800 128 mb and its as fast as X800 pro
its also a very good overclocker and i would
sugest getting it from eVGA cause they have
the Greatest service ever :cheers:

so get 6800 ultra the only downside is it needs a lot of power so you need a 350 watt brand name PSU

:dozey: Probably the 6800 Ultra, with like every new drivers coming out those Nvidia cards keep rising up, but IMO i'd rather have a x800 XT PE, that's just me.

A lot of people like the 6800 GT over the X800 Pro because of it's extra pipelines but the 6800 Ultra and GT are very close in performance.
The X800XT PE is a farther distance away from the Pro, compared to those two 6800 cards. The X800XT PE is a better card overall.

If you perfer OpenGL games then the 6800 Ultra would fair better and it isn't too far behind in DX9 but it is consistantly behind. The 6800 GT would be a lot better choice here since it is very close to it's performance and a full 100$ less.

The X800XT PE will be your best card for DX9 and overall gaming between them all.
This is an up-to-date review with the some of the more recent drivers.
The Fastest Graphics Cards of Summer 2004
The NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra feels at its ease in low resolutions as well as when you don’t enable anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing. Besides that, NVIDIA’s new GPU outperforms its rival in older games
The ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition develops an excellent speed across the entire spectrum of gaming applications... With enabled full-screen anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering this chip usually confirms its superiority. If you invest into a RADEON X800 XT, you can rest assured that the speed of games actively using DirectX 9 shaders will be stably high...Besides that, the RADEON X800 XT boasts such complementary advantages as small size, low noise level, only one power connector, and only one slot occupied – all in contrast to NVIDIA’s flagship product.
The only down side to this review is that they use leaked versions for STALKER and HL2. I would not look to these benchmarks as you have already seen HL2 benchmarks.

Here are power consumption numbers

If you really want I can add up the FPS and post the average for both cards from that review across the board but that just isn't how you compare cards. ;)
In the end it is about personal preference as these both kick ass.

Note:The "GeForce 6800 Ultra" is the card that sells for 499$. The "GeForce 6800 Ultra (435/1150)" is an OCed 6800 Ultra that sells for several hunderd $$ more as Air or Water-Cooled versions from companies like Gainward.

I think the x800xt would be the better choice.. but since I had such a horrible experience with my 9600 and drivers ect. I am very skeptical and nervous. I know ATI has got there sh!t together (drivers ect.) right? I think I am going to go with the x800xt becuase there arent that many OpenGl games coming out..DX9 is the future I suppose.

Personally, I've had just as many issue with my GF4 4200 128MB and my 6800GT compared with my 9800Pro. Actually I had less with the 9800pro.
Again, personal preference.

Since I am looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and I play a lot of games like Unreal 2004, Joint Ops, Doom 3, and Far Cry - I prefer nVidia this round. I really think they did a nice job with their new line of cards. And not to mention, the nVidia cards overclock very well.

The X800 XT is great and all, but not worth it unless it's the Platinum Edition in my opinion.

I have an ASUS X800 XT, and I wouldn't recommend anything other than the x800. Id go with an x800 pro over a 6800 ultra. why? because im an ati fanboy. (that last statement was to appease the noobs from whining that im a fanboy, im really not) the real reason why? ati is working on its opengl codepath, give it a few months and ull start to see the x800 series drive past the 6800, of course assuming that nvidia doesnt counter it with even better drivers.

downthesun said:
Since I am looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and I play a lot of games like Unreal 2004, Joint Ops, Doom 3, and Far Cry - I prefer nVidia this round. I really think they did a nice job with their new line of cards. And not to mention, the nVidia cards overclock very well.

The X800 XT is great and all, but not worth it unless it's the Platinum Edition in my opinion.

Wouldnt stalker far cry and joint ops play better on the X800XT p.e. since they are DX9?

KidRock said:
Wouldnt stalker far cry and joint ops play better on the X800XT p.e. since they are DX9?

Well, all of those games I mentioned are sponsored by nVidia and (sometimes) optimised for their hardware, so I figured why not go nVidia. Ya know?

I prefer nVidia's drivers over ATi's, and yes, I did have an ATi card before I sold my 9800 XT.

I would have to say the 6800 ultra is the better card.
When the x800 xt was first released I thought it to be the better card but now with some of the newer drivers the 6800 ultra has really gained alot of ground.

The best thing I think ATI has going for themselves is 3DC support
The best thing I think Nvidia has going for themselves is ps3.0

If you plan on overclocking the 6800 ultra it can take a lot of heat and even then you can take of the cover plate and place a vantec spectrum fan card below to provide even better cooling.

Overall I would have to say Nvidia has better drivers.

Ati seems like a much more refined card though when I think about it. Its not like its a brand new technology so more people know what they are getting when they open the box. Nvidia on the other hand Is slowly gaining ground because they have lowered the mimimum power supply requirments through some bios tweaks and their are also some single slot cards coming out if that matters to you. Nvidia seems to be gaining much more performance with their bioses then ATI is.

At the moment ATI still has the faster card though. When you play at higher resolutions with AA/AF its very clear that ATI wins but at some of the lower resolutions nvidia is better. I think in the long run nvidia will have a better card. So if you dont plan on buing a new card untill 2006 then nvidia is probably a better choice because you wont be playing half that games at 1600x1200 AA/AF in in mid 2005/2006

Also EVGA is coming out with copper heatsinks for their videocards to help lower heat.

By optimised, they use Nvidia's 16bit and 32bit mixed modes.

Sponsored by Nvidia doesn't mean it's best on Nvidia's hardware. A good number of Nvidia's 'The Way It's Ment To Be Played' games actually run better on ATI hardware. Compare the list with games reviewed here and tally them up.

BTW that review had the updated drivers for both Nvidia and ATI...
Those comments were made only as of this July 31st (just longer than a month ago), not right when the cards came out back in April. The performance figures are up-to-date and still show ATI's card ahead. The 6800 did get a good boost from drivers early on but that has passed. The first benchmarks showed the X800 completely beating the 6800, of course the 6800GT wasn't thought of yet. ;)

From what i've seen x800 performs better as of right now.
But people seem to forget, nvidia drivers are upgraded for all of there cards.

So when new drivers come out, my 3 year old ti4200 still gets a performace boost.

I think in a few months, through drivers alone the 6800 will pull ahead.

Asus said:

Sponsored by Nvidia doesn't mean it's best on Nvidia's hardware. A good number of Nvidia's 'The Way It's Ment To Be Played' games actually run better on ATI hardware. Compare the list with games reviewed here and tally them up.

BTW that review had the updated drivers for both Nvidia and ATI...
Those comments were made only as of this July 31st (just longer than a month ago), not right when the cards came out back in April. The performance figures are up-to-date and still show ATI's card ahead. The 6800 did get a good boost from drivers early on but that has passed. The first benchmarks showed the X800 completely beating the 6800, of course the 6800GT wasn't thought of yet. ;)

Those benchmarks are just TO close to actually say this card is better then that one. You really do notice the x800xt pull ahead in the high resolutions though.

Asus said:

Sponsored by Nvidia doesn't mean it's best on Nvidia's hardware.

This why I said "sometimes." :naughty:

yall make it sound like the 6800 is crap in comparison. but its not the case. a few points and fps are insignificant when they're way up there anyway.

6800u certainly isnt crap... its just not quite as fast as the x800xt :)

I vote 6800ultra :) because ive never had problems with nvidia except that crappy TNT2 thing X.X yyou need atleast like a 2.8ghz or 3.6HT thow if your guna use it lol i got a 2ghz so i wont be getting on till my new computer! ne ways i vote 6800U simply because of the fact you wont have manny problems (if any) with it (as long as you get all the stuff it needs like PSU processor etc) my FX5200 runs evreything i throw at it.. im even playing CS:S at 60fps :)

[Matt] said:
6800u certainly isnt crap... its just not quite as fast as the x800xt :)

Depends on the game. And its usually a close difference.

KidRock said:
FX-53
1 gig of ram.

the works basiclly.
Are you sure that its FX-53? Last time I saw them they were going for 800 bucks......it just can't be that cpu

Nex321 said:
Are you sure that its FX-53? Last time I saw them they were going for 800 bucks......it just can't be that cpu

I have one too, along with maybe 3 or 4 other people on this forum, whats the big deal?

There is no 4000+ as of yet, I'm sorry. ;)

The cards seem just about equal, but some games, like FarCry with the upcoming 1.3 patch, will take advantage of Nvidia's higher color range (128bits vs 96bits) for fantastic visuals that ATI owners won't get. For me that was the deciding issue and why I now own a 6800 Ultra, couldn't be happier with it, personally.

:( I dont know what to get and I want to make my decision within the next week or 2.

KidRock, ask yourself this: Am I going to upgrade in a year or so or am I going to keep this card for atleast 2 years?

If you're planing to upgrade next year, the x800 xt pe is the choice for you but if you want to keep it for atleast 2 years or more then Geforce 6800 ULTRA or GT is the choice for you. If you ask me what I did well I'm planing to upgrade next year to a card that has PS 3.0+ and 512 mb so I chose x800 xt pe and I'm really happy with it.

I would go ati, but the 6800 is cheaper.
it depends on what you think about noise

Has anyone here seen the vid on the 6800 where is like the loadest thing on earth?

supangr said:
The cards seem just about equal, but some games, like FarCry with the upcoming 1.3 patch, will take advantage of Nvidia's higher color range (128bits vs 96bits) for fantastic visuals that ATI owners won't get. For me that was the deciding issue and why I now own a 6800 Ultra, couldn't be happier with it, personally.
So, how do you enjoy the 1.3 patch? ;)
What other games that you play use the 128Bits and can you really notice? I know there is a big difference before PS2.0 which used only 32bit but now we can use 96 or 128bits which are both high. Games are just starting to really use PS2.0 too.
KidRock said:
What card would be better for BF1942 and BF2?
Battlefield 1942 or Vietnam benchmarks are hard to find.
The only place that had any from my quick search was HardOCP.
Link
The X800XT can run at a higher resolution and still have a better min. FPS.

Asus said:
So, how do you enjoy the 1.3 patch? ;)
What other games that you play use the 128Bits and can you really notice?

Here are the pics of farcry with the HDR patch so you can see the difference:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30038

And it is confirmed as NV4x only too:

http://firingsquad.com/features/crytek_far_cry/page2.asp

FiringSquad:
One new feature NVIDIA has added to GeForce 6800 is support for HDR. How does NVIDIA’s solution differ from ATI’s?
Cevat Yerli:
It’s more about the FP16 versus FP32 format. We’re using it [FP32] for HDR, which is not supported by ATI. That is to deliver very high image quality. But, I have to tell you HDR isn’t officially going to be part of the 1.2 patch.
Granted it's not here yet, but considering price and performance are more or less equal for the x800 xt and 6800 ultra (unless you look at the doom 3 engine where the 6800 excells) and you get higher visuals in some games with the 6800, I can't think of any reason to go x800. Personally I think HDR far cry is way better than an extra 2 fps.

I've seen those before and I really can't say I would want to play in that.
Grant I'm finished with Farcry...and won't be picking it again. Too little too late, IMO.

Crytek had an engine they wanted to advertise and what better way to do it than to paid by Nvidia and release these enhancments to advertise for Nvidia, make it look like PS3.0 was getting adopted quickly and all. Funny thing is that they are still on patch 1.1 and just how many have finished the game already?

I have the game sitting on my shelf but I have decided not to open it untill atleast patch 1.2 is finished, that and Im still working on so many other games at the moment I just dont have time for farcry.

Back