7 Hours?!

I think the 7 hour war was short because world politics use in chaos a nuclear weapons.
Haze : your weak pistols speculations are ridiculous
btw Owerwatch: G.W. Bush is not idiot (my view)

I am sure that there are more powerfull combine weapons that were not used simply due to the fact that they underestimated ur (gordon's) power....

How do you know they fleed to the cities? Show me a screenshot of the newspaper you read, if not, then are you just speculating? I remember having heavy losses, but I also remember the troops saying they had black mesa surrounded and 'under control'

Also, my pistol stats are not stupid, the magnum is a much better weapon than the bog standard pistol

Haze said:
How do you know they fleed to the cities? Show me a screenshot of the newspaper you read, if not, then are you just speculating?

a lot of people have seen it, why should someone bother to take a screenshot just for you?

Hahah so I gather that the whitehouse was turned into cream cheese. That's so awesome. Buh Bye W.

I think I brought this up in another post, that board really dosn't exlain what any of the events happening actually are. although I personally believe the most common storyline, far to much is left often to speculation.

How do you know they fleed to the cities? Show me a screenshot of the newspaper you read, if not, then are you just speculating? I remember having heavy losses, but I also remember the troops saying they had black mesa surrounded and 'under control'

It's in Black Mesa East. Go back and play it again.

Also, my pistol stats are not stupid, the magnum is a much better weapon than the bog standard pistol

Combine weapons are better, if you think differently you are wrong.

=/ I have never seen it and I have played the games all the way through, I dont know where you get your facts from but its not from the game.

Haze said:
=/ I have never seen it and I have played the games all the way through, I dont know where you get your facts from but its not from the game.

Just because you played the game all the way through and didn't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Why don't you tell us the headcrab-eating vortigaunt in Route Canal doesn't exist either because "you haven't seen it".

Haze said:

You do understand that the "combine" to which you refer - metrocops, soldiers, elites - are Humans right? They didn't invade with those forces, they recruited them after the Earth was defeated using bigger guns. Why would they subjugate a race that to their eyes is worthless, and then give them all their best toys? I bet the plasma weapons in HL2 aren't even combine tech - they're earth stuff. What if the footsoldiers of the Combine army have rapid-firing Strider cannons attached to their arms, shooting off singualirities at stationary tanks? Sounds like a war that'd be over in 7 minutes to me :)

haze, look at all the newspaper clippings in el;i's lab. (actualy might be klieners, or both)

Dude france doesn't exist because i've never been there...sry french people! You don't exist

Haze said:
And, Mr. Ex, I think you will find that our weapons are far more advanced than theres. Our magnum owns their pistol, our crossbow owns their plasma rifles. Plus, the weapons the marines carried in the first game were a lot more powerfull than the ones the combine carry in this.

Also, the Black Mesa incident was contained. Once under control Xen creatures are nothing compared to us, the marines owned them in the first game, plus a simple scientist was able to wipe half of them out.

The worlds military against Xen creatures would of been easy, the only reson we lost was becouse the combine interveened.

That pistol is a Heckler und Koch USP Match, a real gun used in EARTH.

And in Raising the Bar Eli says "Earth put up a fight that lasted all of seven hours."

Trust us Haze, if all of us say it, I'm sure most of what we say is right. Combine weaponry is more powerful than human weaponry. The Plasma rifle anyway. All the other weapons are human made weapons. USP, MP7, Magnum, Crossbow, etc. Pay attention to Dr. Breen's speeches and make sure to look around. You should see the clues to what we're talking about during the 7 hour war. In the last level when your on the rail thing, look down. See those crab shaped tanks? Yeah, Earth was figthing things like that in the 7 hour and who knows what else. Portal storms are hinted in Eli's lab. Newspaper clip says "Portal Storms Continue!" or something like that. Also in train station I believe.

i still say that people should have nuked the combine.

i don't think even combine technology could stand up to nukes.

and even if they had powerful weapons that can shoot nukes out of the sky, if they were overwhelmed i think that at least a 100 nukes could have hit the target.

15357 said:
i still say that people should have nuked the combine.

i don't think even combine technology could stand up to nukes.

and even if they had powerful weapons that can shoot nukes out of the sky, if they were overwhelmed i think that at least a 100 nukes could have hit the target.
But that would mean nuking the citadels which would mean nuking very big cities. Nuking New York or London or Berlin sure as hell ain't a decision I'd take very lightly.

who would?

but if the sacrifice of a fraction of the world's people could liberate an entire planet and save a race from annhiliation wouldn't you make that decision?

wouldn't you?

and it would also give us hope that the combine can be defeated.

or at least some time for humans to rearm, reorganize, and resist.

or you could always join them................

(and be executed by resistance members)

The Combine have a unified world/dimension behind them. They'd still keep coming, even if you nuked them. They'd just gate in somewhere else.

-Angry Lawyer

15357 said:
who would?

but if the sacrifice of a fraction of the world's people could liberate an entire planet and save a race from annhiliation wouldn't you make that decision?

wouldn't you?

and it would also give us hope that the combine can be defeated.

or at least some time for humans to rearm, reorganize, and resist.

or you could always join them................

(and be executed by resistance members)

Your one of those people who would kill a baby to save a million people aren't you?

DeusExMachinia said:
Your one of those people who would kill a baby to save a million people aren't you?

and ur the one that would kill a million people to save a baby?

Angry Lawyer said:
And I'm the one leading the Combine army.

-Angry Lawyer
I guess i shouldn't have shared those vortigaunt order plans with you then.

I lead the combine army. Don't flatter yourself Lawyer. Stupid representitive of xen....

/me wonders if you'll catch on ;)

I have a feeling it's something to do with my anti-Combine control of Xen thesis. Which I'm right about. As always.

Maybe I'm a Controller too. I have a feeling this is degenerating though.

But, yeah, the Combine defeated Earth in a record time, and nobody can do anything about it.

-Angry Lawyer

MarcoPollo said:
and ur the one that would kill a million people to save a baby?

....o_O. What the hell. I wouldn't kill either one. I'm no Stalin.

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."-Joseph Stalin

^^ true but if i had too...which i wish i would never have to...I would nuke the citadel if it ment taking down the combine for good..and only then,

MarcoPollo said:
^^ true but if i had too...which i wish i would never have to...I would nuke the citadel if it ment taking down the combine for good..and only then,
Yeah, but in this case we're talking about sacrificing millions of civilians, the result of which at best could be that the 7 hour war was called the 8 hour war.

Well, have you ever seen insect swarm attacks? Termites on ants, for example? It all gets over in hours, and the numbers are just as high, the terrain is just as varied, the tactics are just as randomly systematic as we'd expect in a directly proportional ratio of an alien invasion.

As long as the invasion is synchronized well enough, with prearranged room for setbacks and relentless offensive tactics, a 7 hour surrender is more than feasible.

I can see it done in 7 hours.

They spawn within all major cities, with their own small armies.

They have more advanced technology than we do.

We're not ready for such a random and surprise attack

Seems very likely they would win in 7 hours.

-Alix

I recall a science fiction story (cant remember who wrote it, people here will know though) where the invading alien force just sent a few massive asteroids on a collission course with the earth, and then said - now do u surrender?

Angry Lawyer said:
I have a feeling it's something to do with my anti-Combine control of Xen thesis. Which I'm right about. As always.

Maybe I'm a Controller too. I have a feeling this is degenerating though.

But, yeah, the Combine defeated Earth in a record time, and nobody can do anything about it.

-Angry Lawyer

He guessed it. Pffft. Which your wrong about. By the way.

We are straying, yes.

Calanen said:
I recall a science fiction story (cant remember who wrote it, people here will know though) where the invading alien force just sent a few massive asteroids on a collission course with the earth, and then said - now do u surrender?

Wasn't that in Starship Troopers (which, for the less cultural amoung us here, was a book before it was a film)?

-Angry Lawyer

Lets see, has everyone forgotten about the possibility of a massive EMP burst which would knock out a majority of the communication networks for our Earthbound forces and prevent us from co-ordinating a defense?

Also lets not forget the massive "Suppression Ray" that keeps you moving not allowing you to settle and gather your thoughts.

The_Wookie said:
Lets see, has everyone forgotten about the possibility of a massive EMP burst which would knock out a majority of the communication networks for our Earthbound forces and prevent us from co-ordinating a defense?

Also lets not forget the massive "Suppression Ray" that keeps you moving not allowing you to settle and gather your thoughts.

Massive EMP burst is very possible! A nuke exploded high in atmosphere would create an EMP wave that would knock out most of the unshielded satellites and probably the stuff on the ground too.

Terrestrial surrender in 7 hours is very feasible to me. Just by teleporting a citadel down onto a city the Combine would send everything into chaos. Couple that with some weapons along the lines of the suppressor technology, some striders, and you have most of Earth defeated before it even starts to fight. That's not to say that every single soldier wearing a uniform is killed - but it would quickly become obvious to humanity that surrender is the only option (ah, Churchill, we want you back...)

I also second the fact that the Combine force you see in HL2 is not the full force they would have invaded with. The Combine have had Earth subjugated without problem for nearly 10 years, there's no need for them to still be showing off with their best forces patrolling the streets. It's the same as how the situation changes in City 17 between the beginning and end of the game. Beginning = under control = metrocops with batons. End = war = striders, gunships, dropships, artillery, suppressors, all kinds of troops, hoppers and quite a few kitchen sinks. You see more ordnance inside the citadel than you see out on the streets. The Combine are immensely powerful and are holding a lot back in HL2 because the main job has been accomplished long ago.

Their technology also owns ours. The pistol they use is an earth-made pistol, because it'd be convenient and cheap. The pulse rifle kicks the crap out of that and any mp5's or mp7's or whatever.

The difference between weapon balance between HL1 and HL2 is a moot point. I personally thought it was retarded in HL1 on Hard to unload with shotgun alt-fire into a soldier's naked face, only to have him stand there looking confused and shout "ough!" or "medic!" then run away. If the Combine were any more durable (on Hard) it would be stupid, since they can practically withstand an entire clip of mp7 fire as it is. I hate it when games underplay the strength of weapons, and I think HL2 got the balance right.

The invasion started with the portal storm. During this 'storm', there may have been electrical currents that disabled our electronic equipment, which would include all the modern tanks and aircraft.

The Combine you fight in HL2 are only the Combine for that one particular city, City 17. The Combine probably had more power in City 17 than anywhere else because Breen had his headquarters there, but they would have spread their forces out a lot.

The initial attack wouldn't have had any human Combine soldiers, they probably wouldn't have used those choppers either. They probably attacked with the Xen aliens, primarily Vortigaunt slaves and their Gunships/Striders.

It is likely that they have much more powerful weapons that we didn't see in either of the Half-Life games too. If the Combine can prevent human reproduction and take control of Earth in 7 hours I'm sure they must have some pretty powerful stuff in their arsenal.

Still, they wouldn't have had complete control after the seven hours, obviously there would have still been armed humans willing to continue the fight. The 7 hours was how long it took for Breen to surrender Earth, sort of a formal end to the war.

Morale probably played a big part. Imagine the reaction when an entire battalion is literally vaporized into nothing.

Black Ops4 said:
The initial attack wouldn't have had any human Combine soldiers, they probably wouldn't have used those choppers either. They probably attacked with the Xen aliens, primarily Vortigaunt slaves and their Gunships/Striders.

That assumes that the Combine control Xen (which is nowhere near certain).

The army was made out of...*read Raising the Bar*
I quote

"Eli: Say hello to your new masters.

*Cremators, striders, combie machines puring out of the Citadel into the city. Combine dropships tearing through the air*

No mention of Xenians there. Just Cremators and Synth.

-Angry Lawyer

I believe that the Combine controlled Xen but in the 7-hours war the Vortigaunts fought with huans, no other Xenians took part.

In my opinion, the Vortigaunts kept to themselves. They hadn't found a reason to ally with them yet. Only once the Combine appear did they realise that everyone was in trouble.

-Angry Lawyer

Back