7 Hours?!

Ennui said:
Unbelievably enormous metal buildings suddenly APPEAR in the center of your city, behind all of your defenses and completely suprising you. Immediate chaos erupts as millions of civilians try to flee the city, going AWAY from the building and impeding the progress of your military. Hundreds of gunships are darkening the air, firing strange, powerful weapons and shooting down most rockets you fire at them. You're disoriented, confused, getting massacred, and in the middle of an uncontrolled riot of never-before-seen proportions. Combine soldiers are pouring from the metal citadel by the thousands and you're cut off and alone, a small unit of no more than 10 men.

Do you think you'd even last 7 hours?

Bah! I whould just gather my friends or only myself, raid the nearest weapons store, go to the forest to make a fortress and start panicing, shooting everything in site and after that, fall to insanity and be killed. Atleast I know I died for my country.

Or if I whouldnt be able to stand it at the first place, I whould just simply become insane and tell to the Combine:

STFU, I AM PLAYING CS!!

MarcoPollo said:
Yeh my friend made a smal EMP emitter ad blew his CD player out even though it wasnt on and there were no batteries in it, plus emp can mess up other things as well.

Yeah, small ones aren't specifically hard to make. It's just a heavy pulse of magnetism. Just get a thin piece of iron, wrap some wire around it really tight in a coil shape, and stick lots of electricity through it, and you'll have an electromagnet. Electromagnets have a tendancy of breaking electrical components they're put near, especially if the electrical components are moved around in the field that the magnet generates, as this produces the current and blows the transistors up.

-Angry Lawyer

woah. :eek:
Ive got a friend at who plays PS2 gamz, he thinks the Helgahst from Killzone could beat the combine.....is he insane?
If they wupped Earth in a day they could sure beat a few blue guys in gas maks :dozey:

Angry Lawyer said:
Yeah, small ones aren't specifically hard to make. It's just a heavy pulse of magnetism. Just get a thin piece of iron, wrap some wire around it really tight in a coil shape, and stick lots of electricity through it, and you'll have an electromagnet. Electromagnets have a tendancy of breaking electrical components they're put near, especially if the electrical components are moved around in the field that the magnet generates, as this produces the current and blows the transistors up.

-Angry Lawyer

Thats about how he did it but he had some sort of covering for it so he wouldn't get shocked so im not exactly sure on its specs. All I know is that the chip in the player was fried.

Well, the 'portal storm' could have been electro-magnetic.
Then The Combine would have a pretty good advantage when they arrived due to the fact that Earth would have no working radar/sattelites and stuff to detect The Combine and all modern aircraft and tanks, etc would be useless.

*Applauds Black Ops 4*

Good thinking that man. There certainly seemed to be lots of lightning effects in HL1 when the Xen stuff started coming through. I suppose there would be massive pulses of an energy of one form or another.

:thumbs:

Jack Thomas said:
No shit, Sherlock. Forgot to mention it on my post.

Jeez, sorry. I thought you might not know the term for it.

Just trying to be helpful.

15357 said:
so, i think that soldiers should be implanted with brain implants to stop any fear-mongering traitor behavior.

Just to add to this comment :- The reason we would never do that is because a soldier who has no fear would just walk into a hail of bullets and get mown down in seconds, a soldier with the option to run can retreat, regroup, get his act together, formulate a new plan with the soldiers he has regrouped with and launch a new offensive based on the information collected from the last unsuccessful attack.

The_Wookie said:
Just to add to this comment :- The reason we would never do that is because a soldier who has no fear would just walk into a hail of bullets and get mown down in seconds, a soldier with the option to run can retreat, regroup, get his act together, formulate a new plan with the soldiers he has regrouped with and launch a new offensive based on the information collected from the last unsuccessful attack.

No he woudnt.
Any soldier can think intelligently, but brian implants mean they would still fight even when outnumbered 50-1 :x

Well, magnetic fields aren't blocked by things like plastic, so you could just wrap it in something. Although, it could get melted onto the electromagnet, as they can get hot if loads of current goes through them.

Doesn't take much to blow up a chip. Just plug an electronic item in to something that's providing more voltage/current/amperage/other what-not, and they'll blow up.

(notice: Angry Lawyer does not condone exploding electronic items)

Oh, and a fun thing to do if you've ever got an electronics class. Try wiring up a capacitor the wrong way, and turn on the current.

And hide. Because the explosion is kinda big.

-Angry Lawyer

The_Wookie said:

i don't mean as in no retreat like stalin, but no surrender.

perhaps we really should implant soldiers.... :borg:

*thinks of fearless personal army destroying europe*

ahhh

The_Wookie said:
Just to add to this comment :- The reason we would never do that is because a soldier who has no fear would just walk into a hail of bullets and get mown down in seconds.

Theres a difference between bravery and stupidity, you know.

fearless, he means, in that they are intelligent, cool-thinking under fire, and are not frightened by seeing their comrades ripped to pieces around them.

fearless isn't necessarily the same as smart.

Ok, look at it this way...

We would never implant our soldiers with behavioural altering technology because of the chance it would impair their ability to function 'normally' in society.

Check out the film "Soldier" to see what I mean, even then, that was just psychological conditioning.

The combine instantly teleported thier citadels in strategic points, which would kill the people beneath it.

It was disscussed that Eli showed you a slideshow about it all. But VAVLe took it out.

Danimal said:
It was disscussed that Eli showed you a slideshow about it all. But VAVLe took it out.

And was this mentioned in the much touted Raising The Bar (which I have not read)?

dunno why, but i seriously think that a movie should be made out of all this crap you people talk about. i would love to see it :)

The_Wookie said:
fearless isn't necessarily the same as smart.

Ok, look at it this way...

We would never implant our soldiers with behavioural altering technology because of the chance it would impair their ability to function 'normally' in society.

Check out the film "Soldier" to see what I mean, even then, that was just psychological conditioning.

but what if you could remove them after the war/battle/riot/containment?

then youde have the ultimate civil protection force.....somehow ive heard that before

Tight-ass Llama said:
then youde have the ultimate civil protection force.....somehow ive heard that before

*couhgh*H*cough*L*cough*2

CPs

15357 said:
*couhgh*H*cough*L*cough*2

CPs

Was there any point to that? Apart from to help out the less interlectually able people on this forum? cough*Darkstar*cough :naughty:

Tight-ass Llama said:
Was there any point to that? Apart from to help out the less interlectually able people on this forum? cough*Darkstar*cough :naughty:

What?

What the hell did I do to you? I don't even know you.

If you're gonna try and insult me based on intelligence level, perhaps you should spell "intellectually" correct next time. Okay?

you know, i bet the combine just used some crazy high tech nukes that made our nukes look like firecrackers to erase huge areas from existance when they attacked.

they really would have no reason not to, aside from not destroying too many resources before they've gotten around to plundering them

Tight-ass Llama said:

yes,

you, special---, other mentally challenged fools.. ect.

Llama, you should probably tread carefully, what with 9 warnings and a ban.

From the way he posts his sig might as well be "I think bans are neeto!"
Back on track: Fear is good! Fear causes fight or flight reaction the fight reaction causes you to push yourself to extremes and also to fight with intelligence.

Combine Weapons

Haze said:
Heres something I find weird. The combine were able to overpower humans within 7 hours?!

They managed to defeat every countries military forces, police departments and rebal forces within 7 hours? I find this hard to beleave, I have decided to compile some evedence to proove my case.

First of all, the weapons. From what I have seen in the game the Combine dont seem to have an impressive inventory.

The pistols they use are crap, and accept for having more ammunition per round, our Magnum is has a one shot kill!

The pulse rifle might outmatch our SMG, but its far weeker than the M16s the military carried in the first Half Life. Plus I find frag granades more effective than a fast bouncing ball (unless your in a tight area).

And what about their vehicals?
The only ground unit I have seen is the striders, sure they are good with that plasma doomsday device, but by the time they have it up and running our tanks would of shot out there little stalky legs!

As for air units, its impressive, but how does organic air units get passed human AA guns? They would rip them apart.

Anyone else have any evedence to add to prove my point or do you disagree?

<p> The combine had quite an impressive arsenal. There used<p>
<p> to be... A stunstick, Pistol, Flare pistol, Smg1 (mp7), <p> <p> smg2(mp5), Ar1 (ak47), Ar2 (OICW, now pulse gun), <p>
<p> Combine Guard Gun (Kills striders in 1 hit), Immolator <p>
<p> Cremator, HMG1 (HK-gr9), Pulse Shield, Incendiary <p>
<p> rifle, slam, hopwire, binoculars, .50 LAR Grizzly BMG, <p>
<p> Cremator and the brickbat. They also used to have <p> <p> a new team. This consisted of: <p>
<p> The Fassassin (Female Assassin), Combine Super <p>
<p> Guard (Big armoured dude with Cguard gun) The <p>
<p> Combat Stalker (Had a laser and could impale you, <p>
<p> The Mortar synth and the rest that valve left in the <p>
<p> game. Also, the above weapons and models were <p>
<p> in the beta according to *******, which no longer does<p>
<p> host the beta site. There were more weapons that <p>
<p> Gordon Freeman had too. Valve cut them out of the <p>
<p> game though. - Slik Power

Plus, the Earth forces where already weak compared to their superior tech and they blockaded alot of Earth cities and that caused the complete halt of human progress... and that made the humans much weaker.

Mechagodzilla said:
7 hours does seem pretty low, until you remember that the military had been severely weakened from dealing with the results of the portal storm for a long while. Possibly years.
The entire world experienced pretty much the exact same amount of combat as Black Mesa, and look what happened to the soldiers there.

Then, the combine showed up with their armies of striders, gunships and the other synths, right in the middle of the biggest civilian populations. (They didn't have any humans yet though.)
So, against all that, I wouldn't be surprised if humanity would surrender before taking even more losses.

what exactly is the portal storm?

the Portal Storms were after HL1, when the connection with Xen was unstable or something like that, and random portals kept opening up in random places, disgorging aliens by the dozen.

Yeah, its a pretty good way to send alot of troop to different places... a pretty awesome technique!

15357 said:
but what if you could remove them after the war/battle/riot/containment?

At our level of technology it wouldn't be possible, not at the setting in the game anyway. Even if you could, the body remembers. Soldiers that had implants would be able to see such scenes of destuction, chaos and atrocity without much problem, but remove the implant that protects them from the base human emotions such as fear, disgust, compassion etc (which would just be a few of the ones requiring suppression for this sort of thing) would leave them open to remembering all the horror, of the things they had done, all the things they had seen. They would more than likely go insane after removal. You would effectively have to wipe their memories clean afterwards.

*sings*

The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million to one they said....

*stops singing and looks embarrased*

Hey it was a kickass (original) movie and the Jeff Wayne audio version roxxored just about everyone at the time.

Anywho

Million to one chances happen nine times out of ten. - Terry Pratchett

Well, I think that's true unless power hungry aliens will find our starsystem. :smoking:

Just thought I would say I am amazed at the lenth of my thread, it must be the longest topic I have ever made...

Also, if the army was unprepeared what about the police, armed responce units with smgs and normal cops with pistols must of held out for longer than 7 hours since they are always ready?

Back