8x agp

kaf11

Reaction score
how much faster is a 8x agp slot over a 4x agp slot?

Performance wise therre is a negligible difference between 4x and 8x agp. (only 1 or 2 fps)

GPRT said:
Performance wise therre is a negligible difference between 4x and 8x agp. (only 1 or 2 fps)

Laughs!

My geforce 4200, gets 20 more fps in my 8x machine, then my 4x. 4x meanwhile has more ram, and faster cpu.

Go Go 8x!

Gunsnroses said:
Laughs!

My geforce 4200, gets 20 more fps in my 8x machine, then my 4x. 4x meanwhile has more ram, and faster cpu.

Go Go 8x!

He is actually right. There is almost no difference in performance at all. Most likely in your other machine is a different video card.

Maybe you didnt understand what I was saying.

"My geforce 4200, gets 20 more fps in my 8x machine, then my 4x. 4x meanwhile has more ram, and faster cpu."

Meaning my 4x mobo. Same card, 20 more FPS.

In my experience agp 8x is a life saver with higher resolutions.

I mean if agp8x wasnt coming to its end, why would we be getting pci xpress?

Well there is probably something wrong with your 4x system as the maximum performance increase of 8x over 4x is about 5%.

Yep, could also be that the motherboard in your 4x computer is better then the one in your 8x computer. Try turning agp to 4x and then see if you have worse performance, I'll tell you now, you won't see any difference.

i love all of you guys cuz my mother board only has 4x (i think) and i got a 9800 pro coming in a day or 2, thanks for the good news

Gunsnroses you are dead wrong. There is a 2-5% difference between 4x and 8x.

Decent overview of PCI Express and why it is needed

One of the features that this article didn't really mention is that the PCI express bus can talk back and forth (from a device like a video card to the CPU) much faster than what the AGP standard allows. This will become really useful in HDTV editing and future games (because of more advanced collision dectection, more advanced physics, etc).

I just tuned my own mobo down to 4x.
In my new computer.

Lost 8fps in counterstrike source at 1024res

Droped from aprox 51 to aprox 43

More then 5%

With x800 xt PE, how much more points do you get with x8 AGP than x4 AGP in 3dMark03?

Gunsnroses said:
Maybe you didnt understand what I was saying.

"My geforce 4200, gets 20 more fps in my 8x machine, then my 4x. 4x meanwhile has more ram, and faster cpu."

Meaning my 4x mobo. Same card, 20 more FPS.

In my experience agp 8x is a life saver with higher resolutions.

I mean if agp8x wasnt coming to its end, why would we be getting pci xpress?

FASTER CPU, MORE RAM, THANK ABOUT IT!

Bleh No.....

What i mean is the 4x has more cpu, more ram. But scored 20 fps LOWER.
8x mobo has less cpu, less ram, scored 20 higher. This is in battlefield vietnam.

My brand new computer, Scores 8 less in CS:S with 4x enabled.

Gunsnroses said:
Bleh No.....

What i mean is the 4x has more cpu, more ram. But scored 20 fps LOWER.
8x mobo has less cpu, less ram, scored 20 higher. This is in battlefield vietnam.

My brand new computer, Scores 8 less in CS:S with 4x enabled.
But still, were they different PCs?

Here is another review.
The UT flyby shows an improvement but the bot benchmark doesn't show any differences and it's the more intensive test.

The pcs Were Different, one was a pentium, one was a athlon.
512 megs ram, compared to a gig in the athlon.

The thing is, when you throw in my 4200 into each, and athlon is ahead by 10 or so.

I'd like to correct my orginal post, 4200 should be 5900, i'm losing my mind today.
Took me like 3 post to explain the computer set ups too.

agp8x provides more bandwidth, in my experience theres a pretty good performace gap at high resolutions.

For an 8x card anyway, you wouldn't see any differences using a 4x in an 8x.

:dozey: You admittedly said you were losing your mind today, could be your claims are a fluke ;) .

Nah, claims are true.

I just turned 8x agp back on, and my gained 7 of the 8 fps i lost in Source back.

The other FPS is lost in time.

I'll dispact fox mulder after it.

It gave me 45% point boost on 3dmark, but this will only help if your AGP is not being bottlenecked.

ok lets do it this way.

Computer 1. Pentium 4 1.8gigz, 1024mb pc133. AGP4x, 7200, 40gig IDE
Computer 2. Athon 1600+ 256mb pc2100. AGP8x, 7200 80gig IDE
Computer 3. Athlon 64 3000+ OCed to 3200, 1 gig pc2700, AGP8x, 2 80 gig, SATA in raid 0.

Geforce 5900xt, in machine 1, gets aprox 25 fps, on max CS:S settings.
Geforce 5900xt, machine 2, gets aprox 35 fps, on max CS:S settings.
Geforce 5900xt, on machine 3, Gets 50-55 fps on max CS:S settings.
Geforce 5900xt, on machine 3 with agp set to 4x. Gets 42-47 fps, on max settings.

Geforce 4200ti, machine 1 gets aprox 15 fps, on max settings.
Geforce 4200ti machine 2 gets aprox 10 fps, on max settings.
Geforce 4200ti, machine 3, aprox 25 fps, max settings.

I hope thats written out right, i've been having problems today making sense.

The reason theres a range on Geforce 5900x, machine3.
It seems to flutiate a little, each time i load steam.

Its a little faster sometimes, and a little slower other times.

Other cards and computers combos arnt doing it, so i reported it to valve as possible hardware conflict.

Just started last CS:S patch.

Back