9900 Pro?

Pressure

Reaction score
Does anyone have any links about the 9900 Pro? I want to read up on it. I even heard it has twelve pipes instead of eight (I forgot what they're called so correct me if I'm wrong).

Hmm, i dont think it has been announced yet but most ppl are saying that it will be less of a performance increase then goign from a 9700pro to a 9800pro. So if thats true, it probably isnt worth it.

not much info has come out on the 9900 pro. but not much i mean virtually nothing.

i doubt it'll be much more effective than a 9800 Pro

i thought i had read something about ati releasing the 'R00' which apparently ran double the speed of current cards.

that's the Loki, which will be the NEXT generation of cards, the 9900 is basically a stop gap to make some money in the meantime

the R360 will probably be something akin to the 4800 AGP 8x, a stop gap with little performance gains until the next generation comes along.

Originally posted by Doobz
the R360 will probably be something akin to the 4800 AGP 8x, a stop gap with little performance gains until the next generation comes along.
No it isnt, its some sort of budget variant apparently.

"Estimated performance of the RV360 “Thunder Storm” is 4000 3DMark03 scores"

Its good, but my 9700 Pro can easily score 5000. A 9800 Pro can score 6000.
That is, if this estimate is true... Now, if they would have released a 500mhz core 9800 (preferably 1000mhz memory), THAT would have been a card, beating the living snot out of the 5900 Ultra :)

i said, R360, not RV360

like the post above said

R = performance model
RV = mainstream model

that's assuming there is going to be a performance 360, because i haven't heard of one yet, just the RV360

Crap, maybe I should actually READ what I see :p
I didnt think there would be an RV360 anyway.

{{save money for r420}} or an r360* pciEx card

pciEx. New NB and SB layouts on m/b's nV's new 7.1 and nforce chipsets . There so much to look forward too.
Be smart guys dont blow your cash. Be patient... its almost here
*= if that ever happens. Ive heard its just going to be 8x for the 1st 3-4 months of production.. I think their waiting on some one else (nv)...

PCI EX is outta the question... most people here are upgrading for HL2 and PCI EX cards won't be coming out 'till way after the release of HL2.

Originally posted by Jagermeister
PCI EX is outta the question... most people here are upgrading for HL2 and PCI EX cards won't be coming out 'till way after the release of HL2.

yup.. and not to mention that the very first few releases of any piece of hardware are usually buggy as hell..

even if i were to save up for a PCI EX card, i would wait at least 3-4 months after the release, see how the reviews are and what pple that own one, think about the card and then maybe spend my money..

its insane to just spend ur cash on something thats not proven.. and can turn out shitty especially in the first few months of its release.

im sure the PCI EX cards will be great and stuff eventually, but probably not right away.. which is why the smart shoppers will keep what they have or buy something else for short term.

So just wait for the 9900 Pro since its coming out mid/late September?

Originally posted by Pressure
So just wait for the 9900 Pro since its coming out mid/late September?

hm.. which video card u got now? depends on ur response..

if u already have a 9700 Pro or a 9800 Pro, it doesn't make alot of sense to spend all that money for a 9900 Pro which won't be a significant enough of an increase for the cash ur paying out.

I'm getting a new comp. But right now I only have a Geforce 2.

Then by a 9500 or 9600

Well, You are right...But
Im not the person to upgrade just for a game. Theres tons of other things that take my time on my machines. So if the "all that matters is my game looks good thought.. Then so be it, Rock with teh 9900. Just dont be bummed when we see it going for $299. 3 months from lanch

I'm not just upgrading for HL2. I want a new comp that'll last me a couple years. I don't mind the cost because I want the best I can get. (I know it'll be cheaper in the future but I want it now.)

Originally posted by Jagermeister

Im glad .....my computer can handle HL2 just fine.....no need for major upgrades....so i can save my cash for some next-gen hardware.

Originally posted by Pressure
I'm getting a new comp. But right now I only have a Geforce 2.

aight, so upgrading to a 9900 Pro will be a major upgrade and is worth it.. especially since u want the best and money isn't so much of an issue.

had u said "i have a 9600/9700/9800" then it really wouldn't be worth spending cash on a 9900 Pro when the current card can probably last u til next summer or longer :)

I'd suggest the 9900 or the nv36/nv38 wehn it releases. I feel the nVidia is about to turn the tables...

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
I feel the nVidia is about to turn the tables with pciEx...
fixed it for ya :T
link
NVIDIA HAS licensed chip-making tools from Denali Software Inc, designed to help it integrate PCI Express architecture in its upcoming generation of graphics chips. PCI Express is a serial interconnect technology that will replace the AGP standard in motherboards in the next generation of graphics applications. It is designed as part of the initiative labed 3GIO (third generation I/O) to significantly increase bandwidth between the CPU and GPU by balancing the distribution of bandwidth to those applications that require it the most. Denali says that fabless NVIDIA engineers are now using Denali's PureSpec product to check the operation of the PCI Express interface in its chip designs. The tool is designed to help chip engineers catch potential bugs early in the development cycle before the design goes silicon.

ATI will use PCI express as well i'm sure, they wouldn't let Nvidia take all the glory

On that note, does anyone have any idea as to how much the 9900 is likely to cost? I'm also holding out for my upgrade, but I'm ever so close to just buying a 9800 Pro 128 for HL2. The only thing stopping me from buying the 9900 would be the price if it ended up being in the $400-500 dollar range and if it's not released before HL2.

Sort of makes it a tough choice then. For that price I can either upgrade my current memory from 512MB to 1GB and get a 9800 Pro OR skimp on the memory and get the 9900. Hmmm... :)

I've had a work computer for 3 years with an inbuilt 8meg graphics card so I've been pretty much screwed for playing games and learning 3d modelling, but I'm getting a new pc around the time hl2 comes out because it seems like a good time to get it. I don't have much money and it's taken years to save enough for this so I want to get the most mileage I can out of it before 64 bit completely takes over (I'm guessing that'll be quite a while after longhorn)
So should I go for the 9800, the 9800 pro or the 9900?
(I'll want to play hl2 through to quake 4 at least with pretty high eye candy)
(likely to go with a gig of ram, not sure about cpu yet)

Originally posted by Alanity
I've had a work computer for 3 years with an inbuilt 8meg graphics card so I've been pretty much screwed for playing games and learning 3d modelling, but I'm getting a new pc around the time hl2 comes out because it seems like a good time to get it. I don't have much money and it's taken years to save enough for this so I want to get the most mileage I can out of it before 64 bit completely takes over (I'm guessing that'll be quite a while after longhorn)
So should I go for the 9800, the 9800 pro or the 9900?
(I'll want to play hl2 through to quake 4 at least with pretty high eye candy)
(likely to go with a gig of ram, not sure about cpu yet)

Well, if money is no issue, get the 9900 Pro when it comes out. But the 9800/Pro are the current kings and you cant really go wrong either of them. 9800 has slower clockspeeds than the Pro, but comes a fair but cheaper.

Well I am about to buy a 9800 but is it really worth it when the 9900 could be out in as little as a few weeks?

*could* is the word. Wait until the first 9900 reviews come before considering it. If you dont want to wait, buy the 9800 and upgrade a generation earlier than you would have with the 9900 :)

Back