A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I’m An Atheist

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Why don’t I believe in God? No, no no, why do YOU believe in God? Surely the burden of proof is on the believer. You started all this. If I came up to you and said, “Why don’t you believe I can fly?” You’d say, “Why would I?” I’d reply, “Because it’s a matter of faith.” If I then said, “Prove I can’t fly. Prove I can’t fly see, see, you can’t prove it can you?” You’d probably either walk away, call security or throw me out of the window and shout, ‘’F—ing fly then you lunatic.”

This, is of course a spirituality issue, religion is a different matter. As an atheist, I see nothing “wrong” in believing in a god. I don’t think there is a god, but belief in him does no harm. If it helps you in any way, then that’s fine with me. It’s when belief starts infringing on other people’s rights when it worries me. I would never deny your right to believe in a god. I would just rather you didn’t kill people who believe in a different god, say. Or stone someone to death because your rulebook says their sexuality is immoral.

worth a read, even if you're not an atheist

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/19/a-holiday-message-from-ricky-gervais-why-im-an-atheist/

I think in the end, the ones who were brainwashed from birth just need something major to happen in their lives to force them to question their beliefs.

I dont have time to read through the whole thing now but I watched Ricky Garvais's special on HBO the other day and this guy is ****ing brilliant. I've seen his movies and always thought he was funny but never seen his stand up before.

I think in some respects I have come somewhat full circle in my standing as an atheist. I believe in a 'oneness' that I'm happy to call God, but I don't see a distinction between God and what is.

Also, from this standpoint, I look at a lot of the bible and it's clear Jesus understood this too and basically had a similar insight to that of the Buddha but a more firery approach to spreading this truth which I do my best to emulate.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,” I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.
Ricky Gervais always hammers the core of it

He doesn't really say anything original.

He doesn't really say anything original.

My thoughts as well. I've heard all his arguments before, and they were generally better said than the way he put them.

maybe he's had too much festive cheer and his noggin is all fuzzy as a result

It's awkwardly written and unoriginal, but I agree with all of it.

Just watched his new stand up, Science (it's not very sciency besides the set design), in which he deconstructs a children's book on Noah. Pretty hilarious.

I want to hear this crap just as much as I want to hear why I should re-accept Jesus into my life this holiday season.

Same boring questions about the same boring thing.

I want to hear this crap just as much as I want to hear why I should re-accept Jesus into my life this holiday season.

QFT

Just watched his new stand up, Science (it's not very sciency besides the set design), in which he deconstructs a children's book on Noah. Pretty hilarious.
:p That does sound like it would be funny.

Then don't read it, you berks

Love Ricky, Really want to watch Science.

yeah i bet a thread about accepting jesus into your heart would be crazy popular around here

Your sarcasm falls flat because it would indeed be popular. I think the word notorious would describe it.

Krynn D-O-Double-Gee said:
Your sarcasm falls flat because it would indeed be popular. I think the word notorious would describe it.

It would be a bukkake-esque rape-orgy of ravenous insults, only signified and begun when the alpha-rapist (Who BadHat is trying so hard to become!) tackles the hapless, innocent victim who happened to have a faith in something beyond the relatively tiny spectrum of light and vibration our fleshy organs can only interpret from the vast wilderness of energies that encompass us. Without even a moment to turn onto his back, or even see what is coming, every orifice in his body is penetrated violently, roughly, without any form of lubrication or easing-in.

In and out, in and out, his ears, nose, mouth, ass, even his navel are torn to un-natural proportions by this pack of rapist-athiests. The poor man is subjected to the same terrible treatment every member of an organised religion on this forum has to face: The smart-ass questions and laymen philosophies this pack of rapists have been parroting between each other and wanking over since the age of 9. If the victim's mouth wasn't so stuffed with pulsating rage-cock, the messiah qualities and anecdotes of Dawkins would only replace it, flooding down their expanding throats and into the belly of the vessel they once called a functioning body - now merely a temporary cock-sock.

Then, the rapists get what they want, the eruption of orgasmic ego-inflation when their questions aren't met with answers, or at least answers that satisfy their perceptive view of reality. Where everyone but the frail, trembling pile of shit, blood and cum in the middle (If he isn't the polar opposite of his pack of rapists, then he simply does not give into peer pressure. i.e. awesome) gets a chunk of self-validation and probably feels less shitty about themselves as people - flapping their half-flacid dicks around at each other to clean the sweat of e-arguing off each other's heaving, exhausted bodies, grunting phrases like "Ungh... Bearded man in sky..." "....No afterlife or soul...", "He woulda' told me he existed by now..." or "Everything I touch, see, hear and smell is reality..."

Once this pack of beasts have cleaned themselves off and calmed down, they trot off together back into the dark recesses of The Lounge's alleyways and Dump Subforum, vicariously living between pictures of far-away planets, vehicular automobiles, women standing in a supposedly seductive stance or humorous frames of people's faces half-way through talking; their snouts on the breeze for the next time a supple young rape-virgin openly proclaims believing in there being something beyond the monotonous, greed-driven, self-centered, slowly sinking neon-masked ship we all call "real life".

And that's why I came back to HL2.net!

Of course! Rhyming slang, right?

Now I do love Ricky Gervais, but the only Christians at present stoning people because of their sexuality and killing others because they believe in different Gods, are nut cases. And I really don't see how it starts infringing on people's rights, people will preach out, but if you don't want to know then don't ****ing listen, I mean certain Christians (for some reason) might think its an infringement of their rights for creationism to be completely abolished from their educational process.

This whole CHRISTIANITY IS RETARDING OUR PROGRESSION AS A SPECIES is complete bollocks as far as I am concerned, we went to moon, we built and ran tests using the Hardon Collider, our knowledge of the universe grows by the day, science is progressing regardless of Christianity being there or not, its just a bunch of hate propaganda...

Great, Riomhaire, you've ruined the magic for everybody now

It would be a bukkake-esque rape-orgy of ravenous insults, only signified and begun when the alpha-rapist (Who BadHat is trying so hard to become!) tackles the hapless, innocent victim who happened to have a faith in something beyond the relatively tiny spectrum of light and vibration our fleshy organs can only interpret from the vast wilderness of energies that encompass us. Without even a moment to turn onto his back, or even see what is coming, every orifice in his body is penetrated violently, roughly, without any form of lubrication or easing-in.

In and out, in and out, his ears, nose, mouth, ass, even his navel are torn to un-natural proportions by this pack of rapist-athiests. The poor man is subjected to the same terrible treatment every member of an organised religion on this forum has to face: The smart-ass questions and laymen philosophies this pack of rapists have been parroting between each other and wanking over since the age of 9. If the victim's mouth wasn't so stuffed with pulsating rage-cock, the messiah qualities and anecdotes of Dawkins would only replace it, flooding down their expanding throats and into the belly of the vessel they once called a functioning body - now merely a temporary cock-sock.

Then, the rapists get what they want, the eruption of orgasmic ego-inflation when their questions aren't met with answers, or at least answers that satisfy their perceptive view of reality. Where everyone but the frail, trembling pile of shit, blood and cum in the middle (If he isn't the polar opposite of his pack of rapists, then he simply does not give into peer pressure. i.e. awesome) gets a chunk of self-validation and probably feels less shitty about themselves as people - flapping their half-flacid dicks around at each other to clean the sweat of e-arguing off each other's heaving, exhausted bodies, grunting phrases like "Ungh... Bearded man in sky..." "....No afterlife or soul...", "He woulda' told me he existed by now..." or "Everything I touch, see, hear and smell is reality..."

Once this pack of beasts have cleaned themselves off and calmed down, they trot off together back into the dark recesses of The Lounge's alleyways and Dump Subforum, vicariously living between pictures of far-away planets, vehicular automobiles, women standing in a supposedly seductive stance or humorous frames of people's faces half-way through talking; their snouts on the breeze for the next time a supple young rape-virgin openly proclaims believing in there being something beyond the monotonous, greed-driven, self-centered, slowly sinking neon-masked ship we all call "real life".

Never have I wanted to post this more than I do at this very moment.

I mean, do you even have to open it?

arxfqh5n.png

Good read thanks Stern. Maybe stern.

If Ricky asked me why do I believe in God.

I would say He answered my call when I was at a really really bad place in my life and HE (GOD-Jesus) radically changed my life on that day 2 years ago. Then began a process wanting to find out more about God seeking after him, I was searching for the one who saved me from myself. As a christian I honestly cant say I have proof that He exist based off of any physical proof that you can see other than he says he created all things by me now reading the bible. So faith has me to believe that this is true. I wouldn't believe that if I hadn't stumbled upon reading that he says "HE" saves lives and that's what he did to me. So I having gone trough what I "experienced" have 2 choices either continue seeking after him or Not. I choose to continue on that path. Its been an amazing ride so far and wouldn't trade it in for anything. Yes At times I feel like he's not there and want to stop fallowing him, but i cant I have tried. In his word He keeps confirming stuff to be true. So again Do I have Physical proof that God exist? No I don't. I guess that is where my faith comes into play. Heaven and Hell? I don't really think about those too much even though heaven will be a cool place., my main thing is to see God face to face, to see what I believe is the Creator of EVERYTHING! that's just is awesome. It's like me meeting Gabe Newell the creator of the greatest game of all time lol

Why do you not believe in a God?

How do you explain the fact that a single, relatively uneducated and virtually untraveled man, dead at age 33, radically changed lives and society to this day?

Why have so many of history’s greatest thinkers been believers? Have you ever wondered why thousands of intelligent scientists, living and dead, have been men and women of great faith?

Now I do love Ricky Gervais, but the only Christians at present stoning people because of their sexuality and killing others because they believe in different Gods, are nut cases.

you make it sound isolated

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33356826/ns/world_news-africa/

anyways, Gervais was talking about religion in general not just christianity

And I really don't see how it starts infringing on people's rights

come on

http://atheism.about.com/od/abortioncontraception/p/UndermineAbort.htm
http://www.christianpost.com/article/20100308/abortion-fight-remains-fierce-in-health-care-debate/
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/democracy/106102/the_man_behind_proposition_8/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...abolish-slavery-Christian-charity-claims.html
http://blackchristiannews.com/news/...rged-to-fight-abortion-and-homosexuality.html
http://minnesotaindependent.com/196...nge-paints-gays-as-religious-bigots-in-nyt-ad

Shift said:
people will preach out, but if you don't want to know then don't ****ing listen, I mean certain Christians (for some reason) might think its an infringement of their rights for creationism to be completely abolished from their educational process.

why should public education cater exclusively to a specific special interest group by discarding scientific fact and replacing it with myth? creationism has zero scientific merit. why not teach hindu creationism or mesoamerican creation myths?

Shift said:
This whole CHRISTIANITY IS RETARDING OUR PROGRESSION AS A SPECIES is complete bollocks as far as I am concerned, we went to moon, we built and ran tests using the Hardon Collider, our knowledge of the universe grows by the day, science is progressing regardless of Christianity being there or not, its just a bunch of hate propaganda...

abortion, homosexuality, same sex marriage, stem cell research, women's rights, creationism in schools, the spread of aids etc historically, current and I'm sure in the future religion has been meddling in the progress of mankind either directly or indirectly

I would say He answered my call when I was at a really really bad place in my life and HE (GOD-Jesus) radically changed my life on that day 2 years ago.

So you think everything good and everything bad that ever happens is the result of God?

So you think everything good and everything bad that ever happens is the result of God?

As a believer He allows me to take control of the steering wheel of my life which has been a bad idea for me He wants to be in full control of my life he knows whats best for me, I choose to allow him to be in full control or not in control. But I guess yes At the end of the day He Is in control of ALL things good or bad. God Punishes and God Blesses as well, He's Loving and also Just.

while Alan00000 was being saved on that fateful day 22,000 children died. so either Alan00000 is a very important person or god is a dick

It doesn't matter If they died, although we grieve and are sad at the loss God has a place prepared for them that if we could have a glance at where they lay today if they pass we would wish more to die in a sense, not continue to live in a world of poverty and disease ect...

abortion, homosexuality, same sex marriage, stem cell research, women's rights, creationism in schools, the spread of aids etc historically, current and I'm sure in the future religion has been meddling in the progress of mankind either directly or indirectly

Do you have any scientific studies to verify your claims? Just curious if it has been proven as to have much we've been "restrained" by the presence of religion. If you do, then by all means share.

I am awaiting your concrete evidence.

So your answer is basically 'because I was emotionally vulnerable and desperate to believe in something, so much so that I would throw all my hope into something that I have no way to prove" ? Wow, that's a really convincing anecdote in support of believing something on faith. I'd love to hear about someone who was fulfilled, satisfied with their life and mentally healthy, that actively sought out and chose to accept Jesus and God into their life. That would really amaze me. In other news, you seem to have no understanding of how ideas and beliefs spread through and embed in cultures. To directly answer "why thousands of intelligent scientists, living and dead, have been men and women of great faith" - because they were brought up with it from birth. Indoctrinated you might say. Because it was woven into their society and institutions. It doesn't mean it was true.

It doesn't matter If they died, although we grieve and are sad at the loss God has a place prepared for them that if we could have a glance at where they lay today if they pass we would wish more to die in a sense, not continue to live in a world of poverty and disease ect...

so you're saying god killed them for their own good because it's better up there ...but he chose to save you

Escaep said:
Do you have any scientific studies to verify your claims? Just curious if it has been proven as to have much we've been "restrained" by the presence of religion. If you do, then by all means share.

I am awaiting your concrete evidence.

http://atheism.about.com/od/abortioncontraception/p/UndermineAbort.htm
http://www.christianpost.com/article/20100308/abortion-fight-remains-fierce-in-health-care-debate/
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/democracy/106102/the_man_behind_proposition_8/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...abolish-slavery-Christian-charity-claims.html
http://blackchristiannews.com/news/...rged-to-fight-abortion-and-homosexuality.html
http://minnesotaindependent.com/196...nge-paints-gays-as-religious-bigots-in-nyt-ad

it's right there in my reply above the section you quoted

Articles like this are little more than food to feed an atheist circle jerk, giving them fuel to feel more comfortable in their own beliefs. Christians (and other religions) certainly do the same thing. Perhaps the interesting thing here, is the need for human justification and support for your beliefs.

A common theme in many non-fiction books in success, psychology, business, and marketing is that your beliefs will often become reality. There are a variety of reasons for this... but if you ever watch someone who believes everyone is out to get them, you'll notice they do subtle things to sabotage themselves and confirm their beliefs. Just yesterday I watched someone work on a project, and they got more and more pissed off, and in the end they were nearly throwing shit around. And sure enough their project got ****ed up.

Does it matter if a belief is true, or is it more important if it is useful. If "Jesus saved your life" then "praise Jesus." The truth (catalyst vs. Jesus) may be less important than the resulting change. The only thing I usually tell Christians is "Jesus isn't going to do the work for you."

If there's any one 'god' I truly hate it's the "politically correct god." The followers are just as bad, or worse, than any religious person I've ever met. In the USA it's extra scary to me, because it's transforming our nation into a bunch of pussies, and people (inside and outside the US) will take advantage of that. Don't ask me to go into politics of that (I hate politics).

What's true is that effect or people's response to the above text has little importance to my life (also true for the rest of you), but what is most USEFUL to me is my belief in my own awesomeness has lead to many good things in life. Whether I am awesome or just don't settle for average (or both) is kinda irrelevant because it works for me. What is useful to you? What makes you happy, successful, alive, or gets you what you want from life?

If there's any one 'god' I truly hate it's the "politically correct god."

LOLWUT. There's no such thing, dude. Political correctness is not a religion, there is no figurehead. It's just people who think it might be better to try hard not to be an asshole to others just because they're different to yourself in some minor way. A few people do go a bit overboard in the name of political correctness, but no-where near as many as the deluded people who see PC as some coherent, collective mass out to take over the world.

so you're saying god killed them for their own good because it's better up there ...but he chose to save you

To us that looks and sounds bad, but yes he knows best to do with his creation whether we understand it or not I have to accept it. Death is awaiting everyone weather I go now or later doesn't matter. I'm actually jealous of those 22,000 right now. I don't know why I'm still alive maybe to share the Gospel to anyone who wants to listen. I could die tonight.

So your answer is basically 'because I was emotionally vulnerable and desperate to believe in something, so much so that I would throw all my hope into something that I have no way to prove" ? Wow, that's a really convincing anecdote in support of believing something on faith. I'd love to hear about someone who was fulfilled, satisfied with their life and mentally healthy, that actively sought out and chose to accept Jesus and God into their life. That would really amaze me. In other news, you seem to have no understanding of how ideas and beliefs spread through and embed in cultures. To directly answer "why thousands of intelligent scientists, living and dead, have been men and women of great faith" - because they were brought up with it from birth. Indoctrinated you might say. Because it was woven into their society and institutions. It doesn't mean it was true.

God has all ready proved himself to me by giving me a new life not in this one but the one to come. He has promised me that which I don't deserve. Its harder for someone to believe in a God when they are financially, emotionally, you know all the good things that keep us busy from finding out truth satan is doing a great job at that. Even at times I find myself with too many things that distracts me from HIM but quickly is drawn back to him.God says its harder for those types of people to Find Christ cause of All they have. My belief says you have Nothing apart from Christ. It not bad to have things but when you have things and Not God its not a good Idea. That's why millions turn to Christ when they are left with NOTHING. That's when God shows them you can have nothing and have everything. :)

Articles like this are little more than food to feed an atheist circle jerk, giving them fuel to feel more comfortable in their own beliefs. Christians (and other religions) certainly do the same thing. Perhaps the interesting thing here, is the need for human justification and support for your beliefs.

A common theme in many non-fiction books in success, psychology, business, and marketing is that your beliefs will often become reality. There are a variety of reasons for this... but if you ever watch someone who believes everyone is out to get them, you'll notice they do subtle things to sabotage themselves and confirm their beliefs. Just yesterday I watched someone work on a project, and they got more and more pissed off, and in the end they were nearly throwing shit around. And sure enough their project got ****ed up.

Does it matter if a belief is true, or is it more important if it is useful. If "Jesus saved your life" then "praise Jesus." The truth (catalyst vs. Jesus) may be less important than the resulting change. The only thing I usually tell Christians is "Jesus isn't going to do the work for you."

If there's any one 'god' I truly hate it's the "politically correct god." The followers are just as bad, or worse, than any religious person I've ever met. In the USA it's extra scary to me, because it's transforming our nation into a bunch of pussies, and people (inside and outside the US) will take advantage of that. Don't ask me to go into politics of that (I hate politics).

What's true is that effect or people's response to the above text has little importance to my life (also true for the rest of you), but what is most USEFUL to me is my belief in my own awesomeness has lead to many good things in life. Whether I am awesome or just don't settle for average (or both) is kinda irrelevant because it works for me. What is useful to you? What makes you happy, successful, alive, or gets you what you want from life?

For me Its hard to just believe our own thing and if it works for me just stick with it, cause I have to spread Gods word and it may offend some it talks about Idols and what not, you have just created an idol, "yourself". God does not want us to have any other Gods before him. Then again this is just blah if you don't believe in it. You have to see it from my point of view I have the ability to share Gods word and I am commanded too. If you feel like what your doing is cool with you then that's fine your choice. I have to be truthful to you guys. In a loving way of course. I don't wanna be that Christian that everyone sees on tv holding up the God hated fagots poster, they don't know the God i Know.

Back