A riddle!

Since i like quoting people:
CB | Para said:
The package was sent to him by.. himself! From the future! :LOL:
Nope.

Clue: The word 'arrived' is significant, as is what the package is.

It was a package full of babies, when he delivered the package the babies turned into super machines of doom and ripped off his face.

He bled to death.

Pressure said:
If that's the right answer then theres no way you could have figured that out other than hearing it before or it being a complete guess. Personally if I lived and a light house and didn't turn the light on I wouldn't shoot myself.
Yeah, I think I heard a similar riddle, all I can remember is a guy in a lighthouse killed himself because a ship crashed. It seems to fit this riddle..

nw909 said:
It was a package full of babies, when he delivered the package the babies turned into super machines of doom and ripped off his face.

He bled to death.

I came.

Okay, I post this one in every riddle thread.

Brothers or sisters have I none, but that mans father is my fathers son. Who is that man?

Bad^Hat said:
I came.

Brothers or sisters have I none, but that mans father is my fathers son. Who is that man?

You/me... ?

Bad^Hat said:
I came.

I think my brain just exploded :|

These are all way too hard for me. :dork:

Bad^Hat said:
I came.

The man is the son of the guy who's talking/asking the question.

A nice easy, well known one:

A man lives in a square house where all 4 walls face south. A bear walks past. What colour is it?

SLH said:
A nice easy, well known one:

A man lives in a square house where all 4 walls face south. A bear walks past. What colour is it?
I havn't heard that one before, but you're right, it is easy. All four walls face south=house on top of north pole, therefore bear is white (ie. a Polar bear)

Correct, here's another:

You are running away from a tribe having stolen 3 of their solid-gold idles.
They will kill you if they catch up to you. You come up to a chasm with a single wooden bridge. You HAVE to cross the bridge, with all 3 idles.

You know for a fact that the bridge can only support the weight of youself and 2 gold idles. How do you get across?

SLH said:
Correct, here's another:

You are running away from a tribe having stolen 3 of their solid-gold idles.
They will kill you if they catch up to you. You come up to a chasm with a single wooden bridge. You HAVE to cross the bridge, with all 3 idles.

You know for a fact that the bridge can only support the weight of youself and 2 gold idles. How do you get across?

You juggle them while you pass the bridge.
Is that a word, juggle? You know, toss them up in and catch them again, clowns do it. :)

I think you missed something, isn't it that you can't go back across the bridge, only enough time to go across once. I heard it before but forgot the answer. hmm...

Edit: too slow

oops, too slow to edit post again..
Moppe, I think that answer is correct for the riddle but it won't actually work in real.
I did some calculations and to catch and throw the 3 idles you will exert the same force on the bridge as if you were carrying the 3 idles, that is if you're applying force onto the idle constantly to accelerate it up, juggling at equal intervals and throwing at same height etc. If not you will just exert an even larger force onto bridge but not constantly. :dork:

I don't think that juggling thing would work... You put more pressure onto the bridge throwing the idles up...

EDIT: Dangit C4 beat me!

Unless you can throw them across or something.. I give up.

Nice riddles guys!

pffft i'd be like... **** these idles *throw them off into the chasm* and run for my life :p

Bad^Hat said:
I came.

Yourself?

The answer to the bridge one was that you juggle them. Having seen some responses here though, maybe it wouldn't work.
Another? But of course:

You have 3 sacks of fruit all labeled incorrectly. One has apples, another has oranges and the 3rd has a mixture of apples and oranges.

By reaching into one sack and taking out ONLY 1 fruit (getting no indication about others in that sack) how do you correctly label them?

Go to the sack labeled apples and oranges, if you pull out an apple then thats the apples sack, and the sack named apples will be the oranges sack (since the sack named oranges can't be the oranges sack) and the sack labeled oranges will be the mixed one. If you pull out an orange, then it's basically the same thing but swap the words.

If you figured that out yourself well done, it took me a while the first time i heard it. :)

BTW if anyone else has any feel free to add them, i don't want to supply all the riddles.

You are on a planet with no features whatsoever except for a straight river that runs completely around it.

One day you are exploring on a jeep the planet by going in a straight line away from the river (for arguments sake lets say at right-angles).

Unfortunately you're journey is cut short be a tornado which spins you around and knocks you unconsious - so now you don't know which way the river is.

You need to get back to the river. Judging by the amount of fuel you had used on the journey so far you are 1000 miles from it. You know that you've got enough fuel to travel for 6400 miles. You have an accurate compass and odometer (i.e. you can measure your direction and how far you go), and you can go in any direction you want (changing directions at any time).

How could you be garanteed to get back to the river by planning a clever route?

SLH said:
If you figured that out yourself well done, it took me a while the first time i heard it. :)
Thnx :) For that one you just have to go through all possible options so it's not that hard.

Now this one is harder :eek: Do you know the diameter of the planet? And does the river 'cut the planet in 2 halves', so that the land on both sides of the river are equal sized (length of the river would be the circumference of the planet)?

C4-Explosive said:
Thnx :) For that one you just have to go through all possible options so it's not that hard.

Now this one is harder :eek: Do you know the diameter of the planet?
Nope.

C4-Explosive said:
And does the river 'cut the planet in 2 halves', so that the land on both sides of the river are equal sized (length of the river would be the circumference of the planet)?
Since the river's straight, it has to cut the planet in 2 halves ;)

That's not really relevent to the question. It could be a flat bit of land with a river running along side it for all intents and purposes. i.e. no going round the planet!

hmm.. just thought I had it:
drive 1000miles in any direction then make a circle of 1000mile radius around where the tornado hit you, but that would require like 2000pi + 1000= 7283 miles.

C4-Explosive said:
hmm.. just thought I had it:
drive 1000miles in any direction then make a circle of 1000mile radius around where the tornado hit you, but that would require like 2000pi + 1000= 7283 miles.
That's exactly what i thought the first time i was told this riddle.

You're on the right lines with the circle though.

with ther person thingy, im thinking jesus.

as for the jeep. do a circle with a radius of 5400 miles untill you hit your old tracks. then you will guaranteed have enough gas to travel back to the river. and direction of the tracts is solved by constant monitoring of the compass.

Revisedsoul said:

as for the jeep. do a circle with a radius of 5400 miles untill you hit your old tracks. then you will guaranteed have enough gas to travel back to the river. and direction of the tracts is solved by constant monitoring of the compass.
Good idea, find your old tracks, is that allowed SLH?
But why do a circle of radius 5400? You'd just do a small circle then follow the tracks back to the river.

because a bigger circle to cover the maximum amout of ground. incase the tornado went over your tracks closer by

Revisedsoul said:
because a bigger circle to cover the maximum amout of ground. incase the tornado went over your tracks closer by
Yeah but 5400 miles? thats further than the river is, the whole circle will be 10800pi=33900miles. You won't need it any bigger than 100-200 miles.

Closest I can get, assuming that you can't use your old path, takes 6555 miles. Since you don't have to cross the river where you started, you can reach it at any point on the line.

So, uhh, following the attached diagram, the circle represents all points where the spot of the river you left from could be. The tangent of every point on the circle would represent every possible straight river.

Since you just have to cross the tangent lines, going from the orange point to the purple point crosses every tangent of the sector from blue to purple, and going from the red point to the yellow point crosses every tangent of the sector from blue to yellow.

If you start out at green and head 1000sqrt2 miles to orange, then turn 45 degrees and go 1000 miles to purple, then follow the half-circle around to yellow ((2000/2)*pi miles), then go 1000 miles straight out to red, you've gone over every possible river-line.

But then that goes 155 miles over, so walk the rest of the way, haha.....

... or I could be totally wrong :D.

You can't see your old tracks.

dfc05, yeah, that should be the answer, i must have copied the fuel-mile limit wrong. Well done.

Revisedsoul said:

Hahaha, when I heard this riddle on the radio that's the answer I phoned in :D

I think someone already gave the correct answer, though.

but what if the river was in the other direction of all the stated points?

The river wraps around the planet (ok, i know rivers couldn't really do that), so it goes in both directions.

but the thing is. how do you know which way the river was going. or how big the planet was.

The real question is why are you driving around by yourself on a 1 river planet?

Back