a shoutout to metallica!!

i love spam ...it makes me iggle.

I love 'Tallica too (except their last album... obviously)

oldagerocker said:
i love spam ...it makes me iggle.

I love 'Tallica too (except their last album... obviously)
yes saint anger sucked just a tad bit of nards

Black Album and Garage Inc is the only thing you need for Metallica, the rest of their music sucks the caulk

Metallica ... :x

Nah, I don't really like much of their new stuff, I haven't really like much of tallica's stuff since and including the Black Album.

And Justice For All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em All were great thrash albums, but everything after them has been so so, and sometimes just plain, well, bad.

Everytime I hear metallica I nut my pants that's how much I love em.

lol you guys are a riot.

i am more into cradle of filth now actually... metallica still |2o%o|2$ MY $o%o|2$

I hate that term, half the time it's used it means nothing. Stop clinging to such ridiculous ethics and start thinking realisticly.

Metallica are or rather were good, reload was the start of their slow and painful death. The best album by far of course Is S&M, if your a metal fan and you do not own that album, well you should!
I listen to metallica but I generally get bored of old tracks after a while and since they are not going to realease any more good stuff, they are likely to leave my shelves sooner or later

I like all Metallica... I always hate reading these threads, though... for some reason...

Metallica is great, and St.Anger was one step back in the right direction IMO. They've started using the drums again, and the lyrics are more old-school-Metallica. I like it, and I think we might see more great music coming from them in the future.

Drugs and alcohol destroyed Metallica, but soberness has taken over again. Let's hope it stays that way, because I don't want to hear Metallica playing "Whiskey in the jarrrrro.." again.

Ecthe|ioN said:
Metallica is great, and St.Anger was one step back in the right direction IMO. They've started using the drums again, and the lyrics are more old-school-Metallica. I like it, and I think we might see more great music coming from them in the future.

Drugs and alcohol destroyed Metallica, but soberness has taken over again. Let's hope it stays that way, because I don't want to hear Metallica playing "Whiskey in the jarrrrro.." again.

whiskey in the jar is a good song. one of my favs

Ecthe|ioN said:

Drums? You mean TAMA trash cans? I think 'tallica started to drop away with The Black Album, which definitely had a ...erm ... "different" sound to their previous albums. Though there were a couple of gems on the Black Album such as The Unforgiven and Enter Sandman.

Bob Rock on the black album

"hey, why don't we take this and...wait for it...play it slower!"

Metallica were always hard drinkers from the beginning. There's even a patch or shirt or something out there that says "Alcoholica" written like the old-school Metallica logo. Everything pre-Black Album rules, the Black Album is OK, and St. Anger is tolerable. Load and Re-Load are loads of crap. I recall my high school days when Metallica was my favorite band, and EVERYONE thought they sucked. Then I come back from the Army (after the Black Album), and everybody thinks they're the shit. Even people who used to screw with me for liking them in the Puppets era. And I can't stand it when I see the live videos and James (or anybody else, for that matter) calls it 'Tallica. For some reason that just irks me to death. I still remember the premier of the "One" video, after years and years of no videos from the boys. What a controversy that stirred up.

The majestic, intricate, classical influenced songwriting of the Ride/Puppets/Justice era died with Cliff (R.I.P.) He truly was the man behind the music. Justice was his post-mortem album, and everything that came after pales in comparison.

Bob Rock pulled a lot out of metallica, which was exactly what he wanted to do. He focused more on grooves, production (especially drums) and vocals. I think it was metallica mainly who trimmed the songs down, as I've heard him say he knew during the recordings he wasn't going to get anywhere with arrangments. It took them something like 9 months to record that cd.

I agree pre-black album metallica is proably their greatest stuff, but the black album was undeniably good. Still heavy and dark, but more immediate and accessable. And there's lots of great stuff that they've done sinse. I hate comments like "everything after the black album sucks".

Load was unfortunately crappy. It's dissapointing that metallica grew into this incredible force and then exploded with the black album, only to let down extreme expectations with load. I completely appreciate bands doing new things and exploring new territories to grow musically, but load just wasn't very good.

Reload I thought was quite an improvement. There's a lot on that album I like. "Prince charming" and "carpe diem baby" are awesome songs no matter what you say. Their playing just seems a lot better as well. With load they almost seemed out of shape musically. I hear things on that album and go "geez, at _least_ Bob Rock should have stepped in with his perfectionism and said 'guys this part here is no good. Play it again.'"

Garage inc rules. The way they combined their now established bluesy-heavy style with older tunes on the first cd was wicked. Granted they didn't write any of it, but it's still one of my fav metallica cd's.

I think S&M was a great live cd. Why not just play live when you can do something original and play live full on with an orchestra. Hearing master of puppets on that cd gave me shivers. I love when he says "hell ya" after the first chorus (I don't know why). One of my favorites on that cd is "the outlaw torn". I never really got into it on load, and after hearing it on S&M it almost sounds like it was written with the symphony, and sounds empty without it.

St. Anger is sort of a toss up for me. They went back to a heavy lengthy songwriting style similar to their old stuff which is great, but unlike thier old stuff the songs more or less move from heavy riff to heavy riff, rather than flowing from section to section. I like how they worked to capture the performance and keep things raw, and that really shows the talent metallica has, but I'm a sucker for production and miss it on st. anger.

Metallica went ultra-gay in their latest years... Megadeth still rocks, so does sevendust, and pantera, but hell, The rock scene got so bad, I was listening to frank Klepacki, he did the C&C red alert music, that if you listen to it, without the game, it simply rocks, definitely worthy of cranking up the volume.... You know, the music industry complains that pirating is killing their profits, when in fact, it's more likely they're losing their money by tryin to shove the next star down our throat, insteading of letting the good bands in, whether their image fit's or not... Good music is good music, So I don't have any sympathy for the Music industry, they did it to themselves..!! Just a side note..

While St. Anger isn't exactly their best record, it was good enough to keep me entertained for a while. Props to the guys for getting some wicked rhythm tone on that record. They used Diezel amps, or atleast James did, and it sounds monstrous. I love Diezel tone. =]

I don't think I'm alone when I say their live music rocks so much harder then the studio recorded music. I love listening to their concert CDs because to me they just sound so much better.

After typing the post I remembered there was a Metallica concert here in Tampa on November 5th this year. On a rock station I listen to I remember hearing there was a site that allows you to download recordings of the concerts for money and you can burn em to CD. I did some searching and found that site was www.livemetallica.com and I downloaded the Tampa concert and I must say it's amazing. I really wanted to go to that concert too but I couldn't fork out the 55 bucks for the tickets at the time. It's definitely worth downloading.

Edit: Fixed url

sweet good to see this thread still at the top. if anyof you like metallica whats your top 3 favorite songs?

i like

3.astronomy
2.call of ktulu
1.the four horsemen.

I love so many but if I had to pick three I'd say Master of Puppets, Creeping Death and Fade to Black.

Metallica is one of my all-time favourites.
hell - I listened to them as a child and ever grew my hair long to look like them:p
when they cut their hair in the Load times it was the greatest shock to date:LOL:

but back to the music - each album has it's pros and cons, the truth is that first 6 (yes - including black album and load - I love bleeding me and king nothing) are definitely best. reload is like load but with slightly different songs (duh) and st.anger would be good as a EP. I miss Kirk's solos tbh and lyrics are just too shallow for Metallica...

3 favs:
1. sanitarium (welcome home)
2. bleeding me
3. wherever I may roam

As far as metal goes, I'd rather listen to Megadeth or Hammerfall. Kamelot are nice too.
I'm not a big metal fan any more.

Back