AA turned on in source dx9 vid?

I

importon

i searched for a while and didn't see the answer in any threads and I am fully prepared to get flamed for this. so do you think the AA is turned on in the new source vid? and do you think the settings are cranked up all the way?

Anti-Aliasing most certainly appears to be on, yes. Looks about 2x or Quincunx.

Originally posted by commando
whats AA anyone? what does it do? Noob on AA he he

Anti-Aliasing (SP?) It gets rid of the "jaggies" on polygon edges

AA = anti-aliasing, commonly referred to as FSAA, or full screen anti-aliasing

Basically, it removes the "jaggies" (jagged lines) around rendered objects and smooths them out. Most video cards have anti-aliasing options in their control panels

Edit: Lone beat me to it =( lol

Anti-Aliasing
Best way I can describe it is that it elminates the "jaggies" you usually see on curved or even diagonal edges.

lol nice one! thanks all.

i have a Geforce 4 ti 4600 ultra, so i don't think the DX9 will work with that. but i hope to see it still show some good graphics!

if not i will have to buy Radion 9900 pro, but how much will that cost?

THe Ti 4600 ultra will run HL2 just fine in DX 8.1 mode. You should get good framerates too, assuming you have a higher end computer :)

Radeon 9800 pro is around $300 online for the 128MB version, and $400 for the 256MB. You can get a 9800 non-pro and flash the 9800 pro bios to it and save $100, I've heard alot of success stories with that :)

Originally posted by Abom|nation
Anti-Aliasing most certainly appears to be on, yes. Looks about 2x or Quincunx.
Quincunx? I read that the current Geforce FX drivers doesnt even support HDR, so it would be quite hard :)

I still beleive on 4x or 6x (more on 4x). the edges are to clean at some angles for it to be 2x, it would be blurrier. But its quite hard to see in the video.

I never actually knew what made Quincunx so unique, just that it came after 2x and before 4x on my GeForce 3 ;)

lol nice one! thanks all.

i have a Geforce 4 ti 4600 ultra, so i don't think the DX9 will work with that. but i hope to see it still show some good graphics!

if not i will have to buy Radion 9900 pro, but how much will that cost?

The "RADEON" 9900pro will probably be around the $400-500 or £300-400 mark.

But i wouldn't go for that if you have a Ti4600, use the DX8 mode until march next year and get the R420 (LOCI) or maybe even the NV40

Originally posted by Abom|nation
I never actually knew what made Quincunx so unique, just that it came after 2x and before 4x on my GeForce 3 ;)

Its a technique Nvidia used with their geforce 3 cards.
It looks a little bit worse than X4 but provides much more performance.

Originally posted by Scaramanga
Its a technique Nvidia used with their geforce 3 cards.
It looks a little bit worse than X4 but provides much more performance.
Little worse? It reminds me of the Strider gun effect :p

Originally posted by Tastyweat
The "RADEON" 9900pro will probably be around the $400-500 or £300-400 mark.

But i wouldn't go for that if you have a Ti4600, use the DX8 mode until march next year and get the R420 (LOCI) or maybe even the NV40

wow ok. but doesn't 9900 pro SHIP with HL2. so that means that they are basically saying that the 9900pro must be gr8 with HL2 cause it is SHIPPING with it? well if u have a high end pc as well, but still.

also.....with me ti 4600 ultra, ppl were saying it runs V good with DX8, will it be alright with DX 8.1? also it won't run with DX 9???????

wow ok. but doesn't 9900 pro SHIP with HL2. so that means that they are basically saying that the 9900pro must be gr8 with HL2 cause it is SHIPPING with it? well if u have a high end pc as well, but still.

also.....with me ti 4600 ultra, ppl were saying it runs V good with DX8, will it be alright with DX 8.1? also it won't run with DX 9???????

Yes - the 9900pro will be good with HL2 - but the R420 (10700???) will be ALOT better - almost twice the speed of the 9800pro, whereas the 9900pro will only be around 10-15% faster than the 9800pro.

Just hold onto your 4600 till the beginning of next year and get an R420.

im pretty sure AA isn't on, but one interesting thing is, some of the sites who got to do benchmarks said they hardly saw any jaggies when they were benchmarking, even though AA was off. which is interesting, and good for us.

[edit]

which also explains why people thought AA was on in some of the bink videos.

hmm.. thats interesting. must be some mighty cool level design to cut down on jaggies so much without AA

Doesn't the bink compression make it look as if AA was on? You know, maybe its only a little blury.

Originally posted by MMhardKy
Doesn't the bink compression make it look as if AA was on? You know, maybe its only a little blury.

maybe, but im saying the guys from review sites who got to benchmark HL2 in real time, said they hardly saw any jaggies, so many that paired with the bink compression....i dunno,

It looked on to me, looks loads better anyhow, especially compared to the barricade video where it was off. (not saying barricade was bad, just the HDR video was better :))

Back