About the barnacles

Reaction score
Have anyone got received damage or got killed by barnacles either by purpose or by an accident? I personally have never got damaged by barnacles and here's my question. Does barnacles instantly kills you when it grabs and pulls you near its mouth, or do you get damages?

Let me add that although you get damage, it comes at a high rate and it will not be long before they kill you if you do not kill the barnacle quickly.

Personally, I think they should pull you faster from a gameplay perspective. Its too easy to shoot them before they kill you, and so getting grabbed by one doesn't instill much panic.

lord dubu said:
Personally, I think they should pull you faster from a gameplay perspective. Its too easy to shoot them before they kill you, and so getting grabbed by one doesn't instill much panic.
Unless you back into one by accident while fighting another enemy.

Btw how come enemies are so stupid when they are pulled by a barnacle they do NOTHING while all it takes to kill it is a few shots

Overwatch said:
Btw how come enemies are so stupid when they are pulled by a barnacle they do NOTHING while all it takes to kill it is a few shots

Remember the first time you encountered a barnacle in HL1.

lord dubu said:
but perhaps in their native environment they don't have to worry about being shot at by their prey. i mean, how many times have you seen a fly pull out a shotgun when it's caught by a venus fly trap?!
:p

Overwatch said:
I understood why the combine and barneys did that, they were newbs, and didn't know enough about barnacles

Do overwatch soldiers do it too?

LoL, I still remember my first encounter of barnacle in HL1. I thought it was a freaking rope, a rope! and it was pulling me automatically without me knowing anything, then when I saw the ceiling I was like Holy shit!

Combine Hybrid said:
LoL, I still remember my first encounter of barnacle in HL1. I thought it was a freaking rope, a rope! and it was pulling me automatically without me knowing anything, then when I saw the ceiling I was like Holy shit!
Thats something Shepherd has over Gordon, Shepherd actually couldclimb ropes

And he could swing them

Yeah but how do you know Gordon couldn't find ropes? He never found any!

You don't get hurt by the barnicle as much as you did in the original, thats for sure!! :p

I've only gotten hurt by them occasionally, and it was in hl1. I would usually hit them with my crowbar if the fall wasn't too far. 1 crowbar hit kills all barnacles.

btw I loved seeing the barnacles catch and eat headcrabs in hl2. though it boggled my mind how i saw a small barnacle attached to the ceiling scarf a whole combine soldier in the sewer past the alyx courtyard defense.

It've been killed three times by low-hanging barnacles that don't give you much time to select a proper anti-barnacle weapon.

Other wise, they've only hurt me by dropping me from too high or biting me while I changed weapons.

Overwatch said:

whats a matter? is it cos some of your precious combines get killed by them?

lol

the resistance fighters blast the shit out of the barnicles.

pitty about yur precious combines. have fun watching them die. u madman

every time moggy posts I am more and more certain that he is either a troll or out of his damn mind

Dill0n said:
but perhaps in their native environment they don't have to worry about being shot at by their prey. i mean, how many times have you seen a fly pull out a shotgun when it's caught by a venus fly trap?!
:p

I have seen it many, many times :|

MysticalMrBob said:
It IS odd how a human is about the same size as a barnacle. Where does that body go?
Mabe barnacles grow up into the ceiling

The prey the barnacle catch dies instantly when the tounge gets them. Weird that this doesnt happen to Gordon.

I didn't get damaged by the barnacles at all, but I did get yanked out of the Airboat once from one of them. That was kinda neat.

Kingreaper said:
Thats something Shepherd has over Gordon, Shepherd actually couldclimb ropes

And he could swing them

Thats because gordon had wussy MIT nerd arms... neeerd
/me throws a ball of paper at gordon

No, they don't die when the barnacle touches them. I remember scientists screaming as they got tugged up (or saying "oh, dear") by the barnacle.

Overwatch said:

I agree. It's also lame how enemies just go limp as if they are dead as they are being pulled up. Valve could have at least put in a "struggle" animation.

corkscru74 said:
Boa Constrictors and other snakes can consume stuff WAY wider than themselves:

http://reptilis.net/index4/swallow3.jpg

::WARNING:: Disturbing Image
http://www.isnich.de/nuts/snake3.jpg

But I agree, apart from a couple of times I got shocked for a second, the Barnacles were more a puzzle element than an enemy.

That second image deserves a holy sh*t!

*ahem* Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't barnacles snap the necks of combine when they're tounges wrap around them?

duckmoose said:
No, they don't die when the barnacle touches them. I remember scientists screaming as they got tugged up (or saying "oh, dear") by the barnacle.

in hl1 they didnt die instantly, but in hl2 they does.

Heppyruk said:
Some people believe that Gordon wears a helmet with his HEV suit so that could explain y the tongue doesn't kill him. Link: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61704

yeah i believe that too, but remember that the combine also wear helmet.

Yeah.. I shot one and saved a sci in hl1.. classic moment..
"oh.. I seem to be seriously wounded!"

I thought it was interesting that the Barnacles latch onto anything now... you can pop a packing crate into a Barnacle infested corridor and quickly run through. Was quite cool when I realised that they had an appetite for Flaming, Explosive Barrels :)

Ahh Kupo. I too love to thrwo a flaming barrel barrel into a baracle put and wait for the explosion :)

I only really created this account to look at the pics attached to posts, I never thought I'd actually post with it, but barnacles are one of my favourite xen creatures so I just had to.

First up, the barnacles seemed to have changed between games, when they die they appear to have an inner mouth like the alien in the Aliens movies, either that or its their mouth turned inside out. Unless I missed something in HL1, this didn't happen before. The tongue seems to have changed also. In Opposing Force when you got the barnacle gun it said something like "we have been unable to get it to attach to inorganic material", but now they grab anything, and now in HL2 they kill everyone but Gordon instantly when they grab, as I discovered when sending a Resistance member into one as a distraction and then shooting it, whereas in HL1 you could save scientists and even soldiers being dragged up. So the tongue has lost the ability to distinguish between organic and inorganic material, but can now kill on touch. This has lead me to believe that maybe its time on Earth has caused the Barnacle to evolve or something.

One thing I've always wanted to know is how do barnacles spread? We never see 'baby barnacles' or any other evidence of any reproductive methods (then again, we never see baby bullsquids, icythosaur, vortiguants, Xen controllers or Ant Lions), and I can't beleive they were all portaled in, as that would make the large concentrations in the canals very unlikely, in fact we never actually see a barnacle being portaled in anywhere, whereas all the other Xen creatures get at least one look in in that regard in HL1.

Some food for thought there...

Sybot said:
In Opposing Force when you got the barnacle gun it said something like "we have been unable to get it to attach to inorganic material", but now they grab anything, and now in HL2 they kill everyone but Gordon instantly when they grab, as I discovered when sending a Resistance member into one as a distraction and then shooting it, whereas in HL1 you could save scientists and even soldiers being dragged up. So the tongue has lost the ability to distinguish between organic and inorganic material, but can now kill on touch. This has lead me to believe that maybe its time on Earth has caused the Barnacle to evolve or something.
Only Opposing Force dictated that Barnacles couldn't latch onto inorganic material. Though Opposing Force is offically in the storyline, it still raises too many questions that are officially ignored. In Opposing Force, the only reason why Barnacles are said to latch onto only organic substances is because the game mechanics involved with using it as a grapple: If it latched onto everything, the player could skip most of the game by grappling. Still, the Barnacle's function as a weapon that you force to latch onto things may explain why it is picky: It obviously doesn't try to eat the floor around it, so perhaps it is keyed into chomping moving objects (like it disturbs hairs or something.)

Its evolution is possible though, but perhaps the HL2 barnacles are just more mature: It was originally a block with a mouth, now it has an independent pair of jaws. How it got there is an interesting question: Perhaps it has some kind of limited movement ability that we haven't seen. Of course, it is actually an enemy that Valve designed and probably didn't think this hard about :p

or maybe its a creature similar to real barnacles... as kids they just float around (this time in the air), attach themselves to ceilings and grow

I hated the barnacles in HL1... but when I saw how cool they were in HL2, I just couldn't hate them anymore. Try spawning a zombie or fast zombie underneath a barnacle, it will pull the zombie up but it won't eat it :p Zombies must not taste too good :D

What exactly is this "barnacle gun" from opposing forces? Is it a gun attached to barnacle or something?

Combine Hybrid said:
What exactly is this "barnacle gun" from opposing forces? Is it a gun attached to barnacle or something?

No, it's a barnacle that you use as a gun.... somehow. I guess you have your hand up it's ass or something. :| You can make it's tongue shoot out and grab enemies.. but it's really only useful against headcrabs. But it is fun to latch on to other people with it in Sven Coop.

Back