AF or AA?

nsxownzme

Reaction score
What strains a card more, AA or AF? I want to play at 1280x1024.. I have a feeling with both cranked up, it may be a problem.. your thoughts?>

It depends on what setting you want... New games at 6xFSAA/16xAF might very well choke. But if you have ATI (assuming that from avatar ;)), 2xFSAA is still very good, at much higher speed than 6xFSAA. You can easily run with it without getting to eyesore.

AF is the most important part I think. FSAA I can live without. AF is unthinkable to be without. Harcore cards (ie 9800 Pro) can easily run a game at just for instance 4xAF without breaking a sweat. Of course, you want at least 8xAF. 16xAF over that too, as the difference between 8x/16x speed is very small (16x is NOT double, its just a mindtrick. It simply clears the texture at certain angles better than 8x).

Overall strain? I think FSAA strain it more. But considering what you want as a minimum (either 2xFSAA or 16xAF), the strain is fairly equal... I havent tested it of course, this is just guessing.

the higher the resolution you play at the less need you will have for AA.

Originally posted by Shockwave
the higher the resolution you play at the less need you will have for AA.
That's why I said 2x was enough. At 10x7, it is, and 10x7 is basicly what everyone run with today as a minimum.
HOWEVER: You need REALLY high resolution to loose the need for FSAA. My guess, around 4000x3000 or something. This squezed into a 19 incher will be very smooth (the DoomIII fancy screenshots had a resolution like that, then got resized to fit the screen). 16x12 is still not enough.

Back