AGP question

I didn't bother reading through the whole thread...
But here is my understanding of AGP speeds

AGP 4x will give out a maximum bandwith of 1.066gb/s
AGP 8x will give out a maximum bandwith of 2.132gb/s

You will almost NEVER reach 1066MB/s (or 1.066GB/s)
To reach such high transfer rates, you need to be using VERY high resolutions (1600x1200), very high resolution textures and detail level.

The only time you will see a small gain in performence, is if you run a demanding game in it's highest resolution with all the details to the max.

NO, the AGP speed will never affect your amount of usable memory.
Weither you'd run it in 4x or 8x, it will always be the same amount, wich is the amount you paid for.

Just check again about your memory, you must have read something wrong. If you bought a 128MB card, it will be 128MB of usable memory. Anyways, your board will bottleneck your card way more then the speed of thr AGP slot.

Read this:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20000214/

ba-bye

Originally posted by Animal
So will it be important for future games...?

in the future(couple of years) AGP will be obsolete. PCI express is the next video port thats going to wipe AGP off the map.

8x+4xAGP= The same~, PCI Express>8x>4x .:cheers: :thumbs:

So, in other words, my memory capabilities will be cut in half?

No, Im gussing it means that you AGP apature size is set to 64MB. Same thing happened to me. I also have an asus mb, but mines a p4b266 and I only have a Radeon 9700 pro. I should probably check, but I do believe my AGP apature size is only set to 64MB, only cuz Im too lazy to change it, and all I play is HL @ 1024x768x32 w/ 8x ansioscopic filtering and 6x FSAA and I STILL get about 500fps (use the timerefresh command).

Originally posted by Goombatommy
Just wait unti PCI Express comes out, it'll piss all over AGP.

Roger that!

Currently, the only computers that have PCIX is the Apple G5. I don't know why that is though, I've never heard of a Mac gamer.... there's no point to having PCIX on a mac...

Back