AMD 64 boards

Ridic

Tank
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting an AMD 64 mobo when they come out.
What is different about these boards and what are the advantages?

i dunno...show me one and ill find out

Dont get one just yet, wait till it will be fully supported

well if hl2 is delayed im going to hold off on building my pc untill november say.

Dose anyone know whats going to be so good about these boards though?

it's the cpu that will be making the major difference, the motherboard is simply changed to accomodate the cpu, one big difference will be that the memory controller will be on the cpu rather than on the motherboard.

how much do you think the price would be and if there are any sites with info on this motherboard/cpu

Not much information has been released about Athlon64. AMD is being pretty tight lipped. I don't think anyone even knows what memory configuration will be used, what chipset, etc. nForce3 does come to mind though, but that may be Opteron..

You might want to keep Athlon64 in mind for a second upgrade after HL2. Even if it came out right before HL2, you'd have to pay a premium for it sinse it's brand new product.

alright, anyways the sooner i get my pc built the better. i was plannign on oredering in a few weeks. Its not like i was worried that i needed the AMD64 stuff but i just didnt know much about them. Im positive that everything im getting will run hl2 and doom3 etc at max settings with a decent fps. positive.

the main parts im ordering- Athlon xp 2800+, Abit KD7 mobo(uses kt400 chip..old, but its a great board for amd's none the less) and a radeon 9800 pro.

its probly better not to get them in my situation anyways. Ill have tons and tons of money by the time i need to upgrade, i can just take some of that money and buy the best cpu/mobo/video card out. That will be 2-3 year anyway heh.

i see ppl talking about getting AMD64s and such all over the place, but really, the only realistic application in the near future for all this 64 bit stuff is in the workstation area and such

i really don't think we're gonna see any practicaly use of this stuff in games and stuff until late next at the earliest

Back