American Cultural Dominance?

Tr0n said:
Uhhh....Well for one robbers.We already had money lots of money stolen from us.Also people that hate me... aka ex druggie friends etc etc.But of course you live in sweden so you wouldn't understand.Just stick with your swedish meatballs... ;)

seems to me that only americans have these problems (or think they do)

Tr0n said:
Uhhh....Well for one robbers.We already had money lots of money stolen from us.Also people that hate me... aka ex druggie friends etc etc.But of course you live in sweden so you wouldn't understand.Just stick with your swedish meatballs... ;)
my dad owns a lot of guns. i have nothing against guns, and quite frankly, they can be an interesting hobby. but i am for gun control, as long as it's practical and doesn't make gun ownership an impossibility. i don't know why people who are for gun control are automatically thought to be anti-gun.

Your gun can quite easily become their gun if their are robbing your house or other problems can occur...For instance.

Its 3 in the morning, you are sleeping quite comfortably in your room. Suddenly you are ripped out of your slumber by a loud smashing sound. A robber has just knocked over the half drunk glass of milk you left on your bedside table. Ok, so there is a robber in your room, what do you do?

A)Jump out of bed, catapult across the room and take him down with one hit?
B)Jump out of bed, roll across the floor unlock your gun draw and shoot that sucka down
C)Fall onto the floor because of the jolt you awoke with, crawl around a bit until you realise you are awake, see the criminal, stumble around shouting "Hold on a minute, free- uh freeze, let me ju-" and try to get to your gun draw, but subsequently stand on your keys, making a nasty hole in your foot....In the mean time not noticing that the criminal has stolen your computer, tv, cat or wife.

When another country beats us in a war (we didn't lose Vietnam btw, that's just what the Clinton News Network tells you) maybe then you can take someone elses culture, but we kick ass, deal with it.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Your gun can quite easily become their gun if their are robbing your house or other problems can occur...For instance.

Its 3 in the morning, you are sleeping quite comfortably in your room. Suddenly you are ripped out of your slumber by a loud smashing sound. A robber has just knocked over the half drunk glass of milk you left on your bedside table. Ok, so there is a robber in your room, what do you do?

A)Jump out of bed, catapult across the room and take him down with one hit?
B)Jump out of bed, roll across the floor unlock your gun draw and shoot that sucka down
C)Fall onto the floor because of the jolt you awoke with, crawl around a bit until you realise you are awake, see the criminal, stumble around shouting "Hold on a minute, free- uh freeze, let me ju-" and try to get to your gun draw, but subsequently stand on your keys, making a nasty hole in your foot....In the mean time not noticing that the criminal has stolen your computer, tv, cat or wife.
Good story...but theres many variables that can happen then just 3.For one some people don't keep there guns in a closet or a gun cabinet.Some keep them on gun racks above or near there beds and also some keep pistols in there drawer next to there bed.But you are partly right...he can use the gun against you.

Really if a robber came into my house he would probably have a gun as well as have the element of surprise since I would be asleep, in which case a gun might not do much good since I wouldn't get to use it. Fact is that unless you sleep with your gun under your pillow or bed the robber will easily get to you first.

Also if you have a family what is going to stop the robber from using your spouse or one of your kids as a human shield? Guns may be able to protect your family, but chances are that first of all a robber will never come, and if they do come then you probably will not be able to use the gun.

So really there is a much greater danger of the gun hitting a family member than any would be robber. So unless you live in a dangerous part of town then I don't see anything good coming out of owning a gun (Unless its not for your own protection).

Having a gun will really just escalate the problem. If the criminal thinks he has at least some safety, he wont get so extreme.

Having you gun sitting on a rack Tr0n is ever worse, if its where the robber himself can get at it easily then you have no chance. Mostr criminals who break into homes when people are actually there, will tend to do so without your knowing. Those that do alert you are likely incompetant and rely on violence to get what they want. I point back to my first remark in this post, if the criminal sees you ahve a weapon hes gonna start doing crazy stuff to get out of that situation, he might run but more likely hes gonna feel trapped and like Mulli said, he could even use someone in the house as a shield.

Well most of the robbers and crimnals here in the south are pretty damn stupid.Like theres one story of this guy going into mcdonalds to steal some money....and the cash register person ask for some ID...and he hands her his drivers license.So yea...I don't really live in a bad area...just live in a area filled with idiots.

Edit:Also I'm still keeping my guns no matter what you say. :D

Edit 2:Article 2 of the Amendments to the Constitution...
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Fine keep your guns, I'm sure they are great fun and make you feel safe but its always good to keep these things in mind.

I heard that most people who keep a gun in the house are substancially more likely to shoot a memeber of thier own family by mistake than a burglar.

Well technically that would be true, being as someone who doesn't own a gun is probably not going to accidently shoot someone...as that usaually requires having a gun. Its a rather silly statistic anyway, being as it really doesn't show anything.

England used to be cool, but its so much like America now it sucks. Im gunna move to Spain or something.

Spain? Haha, thats so full of English ex pats its just one big tourist location. Try the south of France or Italy.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Spain? Haha, thats so full of English ex pats its just one big tourist location. Try the south of France or Italy.

no tourists in Galicia or any of the northern provinces. Spain has more to offer than italy or france (I've been to all 3 and have lived in spain ...I have dual citizenship)

may I ask why? Personal experience? Just wondering what could possibly turn off somebody about an entire country. I'm just curious

Just not my cup of tea, no real reason. Its a lovely country but I much prefer France. I can't really explain why.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Just not my cup of tea, no real reason. Its a lovely country but I much prefer France. I can't really explain why.

alright fair enough. Just thought you might have a reason ...something interesting like you're still mad at spain for the spanish armada sinking most of it's boats off the coast of england :)

edit: Pingu you ruined your compliment of spain by saying you hate france. I'll never understand how someone can hate a country

Farrowlesparrow said:
Well technically that would be true, being as someone who doesn't own a gun is probably not going to accidently shoot someone...as that usaually requires having a gun. Its a rather silly statistic anyway, being as it really doesn't show anything.
I think you missed the point. It doesn't say that owning a gun makes you more likely to accidentally shoot someone. The study shows that if you own a gun "for protection" the chance of you accidentally killing yourself or a family member with it (either in an accident or during a conflict with an intruder) is much higher than the chance of you successfully protecting yourself from someone that is really a threat. It's saying that you shouldn't buy a weapon "for protection" because, statistically, it does the opposite of what most people think when they purchase one.

Where are you from pingu?....and dont say the north pole :)

Oh right cyberman....Nevermind then.

The Problem as I see it with America is they have Nukes and not many other people do.

A lot of countrys do.

Im sure Australia has got a couple hiding behind a dunny somewhere :p

(Joke)

I hate it.

And if I get started on it, I'll be banned. So don't make me start.

Sprafa said:
I hate it.

And if I get started on it, I'll be banned. So don't make me start.

who do you hate? australia? spain? pie?

CptStern said:
who do you hate? australia? spain? pie?

I didn't read the whole thread. So it's an answer to the 1st post.

CptStern said:
I seeeee ...so you hate cultural dominance?

I hate American cultural dominace, yes.

Don't get me started...

Go on.

You gotta atleast give out some reasons.

Because....Its usually a good reason, in fact its generally the reason for a lot of things when you really look at them.

farrowlesparrow, I will tell you that I nor anyone else understood exactly what the hell you were trying to say there.

I was saying that "Just because" is pretty much the reason why people think most things. Sure they come out with all these excuses, but when it comes down to it "Just because" is really why they think it.

The only way i can explain it better is by telling you to read the Discworld books, that sets you in a frame of mind to udnerstand :) Hes a very insightful writter, is our Terry.

ya but ...a whole country? I hate american foreign policy but I dont hate americans

Back