An old timer speaks.....

T

This_Dude

Hey guys. I've been reading your posts here regarding the leaks, and thought I'd add me bit to show how this looks to 'the outside world'. ie, the casual gamer.

I have, sitting next to me, A CD of Half Life from 1998, complete with crack across the jewel case. I bought the game soon after release, and I have to say that, despite playing games since about 1985, this was the first game that made me think 'wow'. It was the first time I ever actually lost sleep over a computer game, and also the last.

I stopped playing it when I completed it. Like I say, I'm a casually gamer, and only play every so often if I fancy something to do.

I bought Edge magazine for the first time in years a few months ago, and on the next issue page, sitting there, teasing me, was a crowbar. I knew exactly what this meant.

I spent days trawling through the net looking for information on the sequal, and finally came across a cover DVD with rough video from the E3 showing. I was astounded. I couldn't believe the level of complexity, the stunning graphics and more than anything, the heart stopping action on show.

I read in Edge that this had been a 'secret' project, practiacally since the original came out, and they didn't want to mention their project until it was ready. And it was to be ready at the end of September.

I waited. And I waited and waited. The end of September came, and it went. I was so, so dissappointed to hear it was to be put back until Chrismas (not least because of Gran Tourismo 4, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Tony Hawks Underground all needing to be purchased around the same time...).

And then the hack.

As a casual gamer, I am so sad that this course of events have happened. For hopes to be built up and shattered like that is horrific.

I hate to say it, but right now I am bitterly angry with Valve. All these things are going through my head.

Why announce it so dramatically if it isn't ready (you woulda known by the time Edge covered it if it was ready...)?
Why are Valve being so quiet?
What the hell is going on with Valves network security?
Why no playable demos for us to get on with?

Valve, you have a lot of explaining to do. And I, as I say, am just a casual gamer. The only problem being is that I know a truly remarkable technological breakthrough when I see one.

Cheers. :cheers:

Welcome to the stupidity the is the world of Software game makers.

There was no way this game was coming out by XMas.

Good post.

Just so you know. The beta is an old version and not all of it was stolen. Regardless of what some people say. Valve said before they anounched the hack that it was delayed because they wanted to put in extra languages. I believe this. Anyways.... cary on

Just be patient, it'll come out sooner or later, and besides there's plenty of AAA titles coming out, as you said yourself, so there's no loss....its just a game.

I am sure an announcement is on its way guys, like the hackers got busted, or hl2 is delayed again, or kiss my ass you obsessive dweeebs !

I still love those hl2 delay flash movies on planethalflife, they are classic.

Uhm... uhh.. RELEASE TEH HEADCRABS !!!

Oh shit its Gabe Newell !! NO GABE NO !!!! ROFL

nice post... i feel the same way as you do.. but I am torn. On the one side I'm bitter/angry at valve and on the other, I feel for the developers. Like you said, this game is astounding. Talk about coming down HARD after they found out the source was stolen.. They must've thought it was a practical joke or something.

I am mad as a gamer but i feel bad for them as a human

GREAT post. I'm glad to see someone who is truthful and smart. Someone with brains and says it like it is. You speak for me man!

I was a bit dispointed in Valve when they announced a Holiday 2003 delay.

But I will take Valve Holiday 2003 delay over a theft resulting in April 2004 delay anytime. Just show me where to sign up.

Obviously you lack the brains to speak for yourself! Hah! Couldn't resist sorry : )

GREAT post. I'm glad to see someone who is truthful and smart. Someone with brains and says it like it is. You speak for me man!

the answer is:

because life doesnt revolve around you, me, or anyone else.
Valve software had a good chance at making that date (or at least they believed) they are just a company, they arent here to trick you, change your life or be your buddy.. thinking otherwise is naive.
this is life, as a mature individual you understand even the best plans can be laid to waste. I myself feel the exact same you do, but I also realize that posting my thoughts and ill tempered rants would do nothing but draw attention to myself, and join the "just another I want hl2" threads.. which is indeed the case.
we all do
we all have nothing to talk about
we all are sickened by valves approach to PR.

however we have no say, have to realize thats just life. and when it does come out, we will have it.

Back