Angolan border war mod for source

Status
Not open for further replies.
well one thing to note : Source is probably the hardest engine to code for out of all the major engines out there

maybe yes, i know and since im not familiar with it (however i am familiar with origanal goldsource), I havent studied any other engines, except the unreal engine, I use to do alot of things with the unreal engine back in 1999, had no tutorials and figured out how it works, took me 3 months... not easy but im a persistently fast learner... anyhow, ive also checked the UE3 and it isnt all the same as the one i learned to understand, quite a few changes here and there, and there isnt realy alot of documents or tutorials out there to work from, or im just not finding it... anyhow ive found loads of stuff for the source engine and got all i need to be confident this is what is best to use, so i'll give it a try, see how things go... (this be one of the delays I could possibly expect, since i havent got any experiance on it yet)

UE3 is sweet, you can prototype really quick with Kismet.

let's put it this way, in the unreal engine, I can uscript something together that's slightly playable..

In the source engine, I can barely get past making a clone of HL2DM with different models.

let's put it this way, in the unreal engine, I can uscript something together that's slightly playable..

In the source engine, I can barely get past making a clone of HL2DM with different models.

Slightly and barely... Doesnt sound like much of a diference to me hey, but cool...

Stuck Valve: An article on why the UE3 Tools are better than Source Tools, written by Pi Mu Rho.

Thans yorick, very usefull but i know that much about the UE3 ed, just i dont see very much how it differs from source since I have not yet explored the source, just have documentation on how to work it, but you know what, maybe i'll look into creating a prototype on both, see which was more comfortable and easier for the team to work with, however, i still need docs and tutorials for the team on every aspect of the UE3 engine which is what I cant find, so find me that and you might just be able to convince me to go the other way

UE3 is the better engine for creating something completely new without a doubt.

The major advantage of using UE3 is that everything can be done within a single editor such as importing textures and being able to play around with the various shader properties. In Source you have to edit text files in order to add specular effects and whatnot then you have to keep reloading the same texture in-game in order for it to update. There are other things as well such as Kismet which allows you to script with visual feedback via flow diagrams. You don't have this sort of stuff in Source, you have to keep checking the different entities to make sure they are sending outputs to all the right places.

Oh, and the editor also has a fairly accurate lighting preview which is a godsend! You have to constantly recompile maps in Source until the lighting is perfect and a lot of time ends up being wasted.

Seriously, Source pales in comparison to UE3. Why do you think so many developers use the Unreal engine?

You can view all the technical stuff here.

UE3 is the better engine for creating something completely new without a doubt.

The major advantage of using UE3 is that everything can be done within a single editor such as importing textures and being able to play around with the various shader properties. In Source you have to edit text files in order to add specular effects and whatnot then you have to keep reloading the same texture in-game in order for it to update. There are other things as well such as Kismet which allows you to script with visual feedback via flow diagrams. You don't have this sort of stuff in Source, you have to keep checking the different entities to make sure they are sending outputs to all the right places.

Oh, and the editor also has a fairly accurate lighting preview which is a godsend! You have to constantly recompile maps in Source until the lighting is perfect and a lot of time ends up being wasted.

Seriously, Source pales in comparison to UE3. Why do you think so many developers use the Unreal engine?

You can view all the technical stuff here.

No doubt and I do agree, btw i have been to that site you refered me to, but can any of you offer me all the necesary docs and tutorials on how to work a mod on all aspects of UE3? or even get me a reasonably good experianced people to refer to help out with when we get stuck? especialy someone that can code? see what I have on the source is all I need to make a mod, so its something we can work from and helps us keep on track without getting lost not knowing what to do next or even how to do it... I need that for assurance so that my team can feel supported, aswell as I can feel comfortable i wont lead a team into failure... and right now source docs and tutorails make us feel fuzzy warm with excitement :)

plz I do apreciate this thread alot and your critisism and support, you guys have no idea, it is nice to finaly get some support on this as this is a very important topic for me that im realy serious about... so any help will greatly be apreciated (and maybe even a thank you -add name here- will apear in the credits) lo seriously thanx a bunch

anyhow im off for the weekend... I will discuss the matter with my current team, as for you guys, enjoy your weekend and i'll be back on monday :)

Peace out

Slightly and barely... Doesnt sound like much of a diference to me hey, but cool...

actually it's a huge difference. I had a fully functional mod with unreal (I guess I was being humble), I had something that was "playable" with source, but I would never show it to anyone, it's more of an art replace.

I'm telling you this as someone whos done years of work on both engines. Go for unreal tournament.

+ If you make something worthwhile you can enter it into the make something unreal contest and bring in da dolla billz y'all.

i had no idea half-life 2 source was that hard coded.. i learnt it just by watching it for a week and trying stuff out .. the next week i was adding variables accross files and networking em and i dont rly find it too hard. with no past programing experience.

CryEngine.
CryEngine.
CryEngine.

Source is a wonderfull engine for urban based mods, ... The Angolan bush war would be a 100,000,000x (Yes. A hundred million times) easier to make on the CryEngine.

-dodo

CryEngine.
CryEngine.
CryEngine.

Source is a wonderfull engine for urban based mods, ... The Angolan bush war would be a 100,000,000x (Yes. A hundred million times) easier to make on the CryEngine.

-dodo

yea, you got a point there. the amount of grass and bush/trees needed Cryengine would be the best choice

yea, you got a point there. the amount of grass and bush/trees needed Cryengine would be the best choice
exactly. : )

-dodo

edit: FarCry 2 engine otherwise? its got alot of african art content, props, textures, lighting models etc... (it isnt released yet btw.)

exactly. : )

-dodo

edit: FarCry 2 engine otherwise? its got alot of african art content, props, textures, lighting models etc... (it isnt released yet btw.)

Yeah weekend is over and I am back, good to see some replies going around :) so getting back to topic...

Actually yes infact me and my crew been checking out vid releases of the farcry2 ed, and we agree it looks easy to use and the fact that everything we need as far as level design goes is being suplied, not to mention the fact that the engine was built to render african enviroments, however for now we just want to create a pre-release demo of what we want to do, thereafter we can look at farcry2 engine, so anyhow Ive found all docs and tutorials based on UE3, check out http://http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3ModHome.html didnt even know it existed lol, so I quickly ran through some of the stuff and managed to create a reasonably good looking terrain and added few stuff here and there, Im rather suprised how easy easy it is actualy, so yeah anyhow, anyone interested in helping out can check out the site and let me know, i still need a coder, seriously...

Because I have an African character.

OK, so which one of the 11 cultures is your character based on? I dont know much about the black cultures and I only know of 2 of the 11 (I think its 11), its all realy messed up they have their own languages, believes, etc... Buuut I gues it dont matter realy, no matter what they speak you never know what they say and who cares what they believe, obviously they are very gullable if the witch docter tells them raping a jst born baby will cure them from aids, and yes they do that, hell, they even believe when opening a can of beer and the sound of the gas release, they believe the beer is then flat so they will go thru as many cans to get 1 that doesnt release gas... I mean seriously, it is that which makes people wonder how they can think they can run this country, and not even see their own ****ups thats ripping this country apart... Anyway thats off topic, you should come to SA and do some interviews, then you could find something :)

+ If you make something worthwhile you can enter it into the make something unreal contest and bring in da dolla billz y'all.

Yeah thanx dude, I read about the make something unreal contest, winning prize is $1000 000 and full rights to use the UE3 for publishing anything you create with it... Definately worth creating a mod on the UE3 :)

OK, so which one of the 11 cultures is your character based on? I dont know much about the black cultures and I only know of 2 of the 11 (I think its 11), its all realy messed up they have their own languages, believes, etc... Buuut I gues it dont matter realy, no matter what they speak you never know what they say and who cares what they believe, obviously they are very gullable if the witch docter tells them raping a jst born baby will cure them from aids, and yes they do that, hell, they even believe when opening a can of beer and the sound of the gas release, they believe the beer is then flat so they will go thru as many cans to get 1 that doesnt release gas... I mean seriously, it is that which makes people wonder how they can think they can run this country, and not even see their own ****ups thats ripping this country apart... Anyway thats off topic, you should come to SA and do some interviews, then you could find something :)

I don't see what the hell someone's beliefs and culture have to do with voice acting, and there's no way I'm taking a trip to Africa to find someone to voice act for a frigging mod.

I don't see what the hell someone's beliefs and culture have to do with voice acting, and there's no way I'm taking a trip to Africa to find someone to voice act for a frigging mod.

Well your character must have some background if he important to your mod, so yeah... lol just get some african dude from wherever your from and let him talk jibberish with some klonking sounds and you got an african foreign actor lmao :)

racism. lololol.

Well your character must have some background if he important to your mod, so yeah... lol just get some african dude from wherever your from and let him talk jibberish with some klonking sounds and you got an african foreign actor lmao :)

Wow, that's the most racist thing I've seen on here in quite some time.

Come back in a month when you aren't a racist shithead.

i dont get it.. what makes him a racist ?

-dodo

racism. lololol.

Wow, that's the most racist thing I've seen on here in quite some time.

Come back in a month when you aren't a racist shithead.

I dunno, referring to another language as "jibberish" with "klonking sounds" sounds kind of racist to me.

Yeah, I avoid that place like the plague.

omg lol you stupid ****.

Im Back... Now WTF??? Where was I a F-ing racist? So what if I dont understand another damn language, and call it jibberish, how does that make me a racist? Jeez you shitheads have serious issues, or a lack of common vocabulary... (Can you say RETARD?)... Dammit im not a racist, im a classist, im not hating you for the colour of your skin, but for the sh*t you call brains... so hate me for being the better one to stand up for what I believe, since you guys cant do that and deal with that, you ban me instead... (can you say PUSSY'S?)... Yeah like any of you sh*t faces got any balls to voice your opinion directly to me, you cant handle the truth and i'll probably even get banned again for crushing your insignifigant feelings now... go ahead like I even care, atleast I know you know what I think of youre R.I. :):):):)

Im Back... Now WTF??? Where was I a F-ing racist? So what if I dont understand another damn language, and call it jibberish, how does that make me a racist? Jeez you shitheads have serious issues, or a lack of common vocabulary... (Can you say RETARD?)... Dammit im not a racist, im a classist, im not hating you for the colour of your skin, but for the sh*t you call brains... so hate me for being the better one to stand up for what I believe, since you guys cant do that and deal with that, you ban me instead... (can you say PUSSY'S?)... Yeah like any of you sh*t faces got any balls to voice your opinion directly to me, you cant handle the truth and i'll probably even get banned again for crushing your insignifigant feelings now... go ahead like I even care, atleast I know you know what I think of youre R.I. :):):):)

You're a dick.

Opinion voiced.

You're funny when you're angry. Stuff like this gets me out of bed in the morning. :E

I just forwarded this thread around the office for lulz.

I wouldnt call that rascism, it seems like he was trying to say something but it came out differently. BUT, what he said after that, he just completely lost my respect.

Your mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back