any metalheads around? anyone who listens to any metal in general? at all?

Metallica, Guns n Roses, Korn, Godsmack, ... or are the last two more, "Nu Metal" and what is with that wrong spelling of new anyway?...

rawr metal sux

gf :)

I like all styles of music tbh atm, even a bit of metal :) blame Liz for that :p

Me too! :)

Not enough people said Metallica... :hmph: They have metal in their name! :eek:

cool, metal is my fav type of music \m/

a few bands that i really like:

Tool
Chimaira
Fear Factory
Machine Head
Pantera
Therapy?
Killswitch engage
In flames
Korn
Avenged Sevenfold
Thrice
Shadows Fall
36 Crazyfists
Metallica
System Of A Down

...ok so some of them aren't strictly metal, but you can hear the metal influence in the music.

KagePrototype said:
Agressive vocals, heavy chunks of distortion, and gore imagery, are all pretty large staples in the Metal category. :) And Slipknot haven't been rapping since their first album, on which they rapped on maybe one or two songs (not that rapping doesn't make you a metal band, it's just rhyming to a beat, you can still share similarities and trademarks with other metal bands). They're an extreme metal band, sharing qualities with bands like Machine Head and Slayer, who are both Metal bands as well. They play huge, down-tuned, heavy guitar riffs, they have ecentric, fast, loud percussion, and they're full of angry screaming vocals. Sounds like Metal to me. :)

As I say... you can call it metal all you wish... but Slipknot is mallcore, not metal... Listen to more metal and you'll know what I mean. :) Either way... seems I'm not going to change your mind on the issue (really, who cares, it's just a label, if you like the music, great, who cares what genre it is). But if you want to get the terminology right... Slipknot ain't metal, even if they have metal elements... Just like Manson, Korn or Limp Bizkit aren't metal.

Non-Sequitur said:
As I say... you can call it metal all you wish... but Slipknot is mallcore, not metal... Listen to more metal and you'll know what I mean. :) Either way... seems I'm not going to change your mind on the issue (really, who cares, it's just a label, if you like the music, great, who cares what genre it is). But if you want to get the terminology right... Slipknot ain't metal, even if they have metal elements... Just like Manson, Korn or Limp Bizkit aren't metal.

What definition of metal are you going by?

And isn't mallcore just nu-metal? :)

KagePrototype said:
What definition of metal are you going by?

And isn't mallcore just nu-metal? :)

Nu-metal and it's variants, by definition are NOT metal. They are just INFLUENCED by metal. I'm not alone in this way of thought. You'll find more articulate souls willing to argue why these bands aren't metal... their sound and song writing styles are what makes them something else. I realize that there is no SET definition, but once you have played, written and listened to enough metal, you can tell what is, and what isn't.

Just give it a rest guys. You're not gonna change Non-Squitur's definition of what he thinks is metal. I have, and if you do get offended, just say ignore or just say whatevah. It's his definition. We have our own. All that matters is that you like the music.

\m/ Cheers. :cheers:

Non-Sequitur said:
Nu-metal and it's variants, by definition are NOT metal. They are just INFLUENCED by metal. I'm not alone in this way of thought. You'll find more articulate souls willing to argue why these bands aren't metal... their sound and song writing styles are what makes them something else. I realize that there is no SET definition, but once you have played, written and listened to enough metal, you can tell what is, and what isn't.

Fair enough, though I don't see why it can't just be a variant of metal, a sub-genre (hence the "metal" in nu-metal). Like thrash or black metal, it's just another variant to me. It's like describing AC/DC as hard rock, and then saying they're not rock music.

Huge metalhead here! Listen to all kinds from death to black, from heavy to speed etc. :D

But i like other music aswell; classic, celtic, new age etc.

Oh: Slipknot sucks, it isn't metal. They are the face of nu-metal, therefor they suck.

Sorry extremist point of view :p

slipknot and korn aren't metal! :fureeeeh:

lol, METALLICA :rocker:

Back