any metalheads around? anyone who listens to any metal in general? at all?

bud7miker said:
LOL, I kind of write that wrong didn't i, but you know what mean.
Jackass

No, you wrote it wrong.
No, I don't know what mean.

I'm a minor metal head. Don't go out of my way for it. Recently been listening to alot of Dream Theater though.

Death/Black/other
Children of Bodom
Arch Enemy
Dimmu Borgir
In Flames
God Forbid
Machine Head
Dark Tranquility
Mushroomhead
Sub Dub Micromachine

Power/Symphonic
Nightwish
Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Sonata Arctica
Dragonforce

They're pretty much in order of my favourite bands from top to bottom, but they're grouped in genres because I don't think I could rank a band like Nightwish with the other metal classes I like. I'm more into Melodic Death/Symphonic black than Power or Symphonic, though. Complicated, huh? :p

I hate punk, ska, pop, indie... all that shite, by the way. I expect Badge to retaliate soon, heh.

Um... I like that song with the bullet going through things by those Korn guys...

Good to see SOME people on here with taste... any of you nu-metallers... shame on you.

I'm a metal drummer... I listen to a rather wide range of metal, and I don't want to just list off a load of bands cause that just goes over people's heads... so here's a small selection of the stuff that I'm listening to currently... I strongly reccomend you real metal fans do yourselves a favour and check out some of these bands... you know who you are.

Into Eternity
Disillusion
Arcturus
Behemoth
Decapitated
Trauma
Ayreon
Anata
Arsis
Edge of Sanity
Moonsorrow
Dies Irae (Poland)
Diabolical Masquerade
Origin
Necrophagist

Who else here uses www.metal-archives.com - if you don't, I suggest you do... I've found so many good bands through there... and www.metal-observer.com

KagePrototype said:
I'm pretty sure Machine Head are Thrash Metal, Abom.

</nit-pick>
I'd say they're kind of on the thrash/death boundary, much like Arch Enemy's newer stuff is. But that's what I included 'other' in the title for as well, though - it's so hard to accurately group metal genres sometimes.

cool, a lot of you guys are metalheads. heh. im not gonna sit here and list all the bands i listen to (theres hundreds, no joke)
but ill tell you my favs

Iron Maiden

and

Megadeth

any of you guys get The System Has Failed yet? It's awesome!

m3ta1head said:
any of you guys get The System Has Failed yet? It's awesome!

I've heard otherwise, from a number of sources. Never was much of a Megadeth fan really.

I don't know why people are bashing it, it is really awesome. And you're hearing this from a diehard RIP fan.

btw, any of you guys shred? or play anything in general?

Judas Priest
Control Denied
Death
Mudvayne
Megadeth

I dunno...some "metal".

ill give it all for a heart
if i was a king i would give away my kingdom!
how i love sonarta artica! omg why am i not listening to them now! *sticks on kingdom for a heart* :)

Cool thread for finding some new bands :)
Im really into the melodic death metal atm, dimmu borgar, dark tranquilty, in flames, children of bodom. If ne one knows ne more decent ones pm me :)
Borknagar are pritty good, really weird timing in some of there songs, tis intresting hehe.

other bands
Iced earth (me loves them so much!)
Demons and wizards
opeth
lamb of god
sonata artica
rhapsody
edguy
hammerfall
thunderstone
nightwish (new album is poop)
in flames (new album is poop)
rhapsody
stratovarious

Stormy said:
ill give it all for a heart
if i was a king i would give away my kingdom!
how i love sonarta artica! omg why am i not listening to them now! *sticks on kingdom for a heart* :)

Cool thread for finding some new bands :)
Im really into the melodic death metal atm, dimmu borgar, dark tranquilty, in flames, children of bodom. If ne one knows ne more decent ones pm me :)
Borknagar are pritty good, really weird timing in some of there songs, tis intresting hehe.

other bands
Iced earth (me loves them so much!)
Demons and wizards
opeth
lamb of god
sonata artica
rhapsody
edguy
hammerfall
thunderstone
nightwish (new album is poop)
in flames (new album is poop)
rhapsody
stratovarious
what about dragonforce :X

No particular order:

Megadeth
Manowar
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Ozzy Osbourne
Hammerfall
Guns 'n Roses
Slayer
Soul Fly
Pantera
Metallica
Alice Cooper
Machine Head
Korn
Tool
Sinergy
Faith No More
Dillinger Escape Plan
Strapping Young Lad
Overkill
Helloween
Alice In Chains
Dimmu Borgir
Mudvayne
Ice Earth
Judas Priest
Dragonforce

KagePrototype said:
I've heard otherwise, from a number of sources. Never was much of a Megadeth fan really.

I love, very good stuff. But I love everything Megadeth. :D

now playing: Blackmail The Universe

GOD THAT SONG SHREDS ASS HELL YEAH

the first solo by Poland is so amazing

CyberSh33p said:
what about dragonforce :X

Ops yea sorry forgot about them :) but they are kinda wearing thin abit, new album sounds the same as the old one :(

Non-Sequitur said:
any of you nu-metallers... shame on you.

nothing wrong with new metal some of it is decent. but calling it metal is just blah

Mr.Reak said:
I like whiney pop bands that are so softcore, it makes me almost gay… almost.

I'm convinced that you have some sexual identity issues :)

however after all is said and done no metal can touch my fave artist, Trent Reznor of NINE INCH NAILS.
I love NIN.

Mr. Redundant said:
however after all is said and done no metal can touch my fave artist IN MY OPINION, Trent Reznor of NINE INCH NAILS.
I love NIN.

:stare:

Mr. Redundant said:
however after all is said and done no metal can touch my fave artist, Trent Reznor of NINE INCH NAILS.
I love NIN.

thats only true cuz hes the only good industrial band

Blindside, Demon Hunter, Skillet, Dead Poetic(at times they're metal), Emery, Linkin Park, Breaking Benjiman(one song, guess which), and some of Dream Theater.

I listen to a variety of music that can be placed in the category of rock:

Faith No More
Fantomas
Fear Factory
Killswitch Engage
Atreyu
From Autumn to Ashes
Eighteen Visions
Unearth
Deftones
Korn
Nine Inch Nails
Tool
Isis
Neurosis
Zao
Soulfly
Sepultura
Dream Theatre
Mastodon
The Dilienger Escape Plan
Chimaira
Lamb of God
Orgy
Alice in Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Soundgarden
Helmet
Bleeding Through
Lacuna Coil

Alot more..too lazy to type them all down. Anyways

\m/ >_< \m/

Just to clarify for people who aren't sure... the following bands are not metal...

Korn
Slipknot
Limp Bizkit
Tool
Linkin Park
Papa Roach
Sevendust
Orgy

Mr. Redundant said:
I love NIN.

I can think of a great number of metal bands that destroy Nine Inch Nails in terms of talent, musicianship and lyrical content... This is coming from someone who many years ago loved NIN...

Non-Sequitur, I believe those bands I mentioned that you stated are not metal, well, are metal bands, in my opinion. The definition of metal (in the music sense) varies to each person. Some people claim metal to be heavy, loud, fast paced, and filled with solos. Some people claim metal being anything with guitars with heavy distortion and singing/or screaming. I dont believe there is a concrete definition that is set in stone (or paper none-the-less) that states those bands aren't metal. People have different opinions, and I know you have one ;). Please dont state that those bands aren't metal like it's a fact. More power to 'metal' btw, whether it be "Death/Black/Grind/Power/Heavy/whatevah" ;) \m/

P-Lo said:
Non-Sequitur, I believe those bands I mentioned that you stated are not metal, well, are metal bands, in my opinion. The definition of metal (in the music sense) varies to each person. Some people claim metal to be heavy, loud, fast paced, and filled with solos. Some people claim metal being anything with guitars with heavy distortion and singing/or screaming. I dont believe there is a concrete definition that is set in stone (or paper none-the-less) that states those bands aren't metal. People have different opinions, and I know you have one ;). Please dont state that those bands aren't metal like it's a fact. More power to 'metal' btw, whether it be "Death/Black/Grind/Power/Heavy/whatevah" ;) \m/

People can call them metal all they want... that doesn't make them metal. The only one that comes close is Slipknot, and they're just tryhards... btw, this is not a comment on the quality of any of these bands, it's just labelling their sound and lyrical themes... (not that I like any of them anyway)

Revisedsoul said:
thats only true cuz hes the only good industrial band

You will choke on those words one day. /me sets Skinny Puppy lose on RevisedSoul

Korn
Slipknot
Limp Bizkit
Tool
Linkin Park
Papa Roach
Sevendust
Orgy

To say Slipknot isn't metal is just denial (they are blisteringly heavy sometimes, yes it's true :p), Tool are very much metal, just a lot more progressive than other bands. Go listen to songs like Cold And Ugly and tell me that isn't metal. The rest are definately a form of heavy metal (or nu-metal if you want), even if they aren't as heavy as other bands. I'm not sure what sort of definition of heavy metal you're using, but I can't see how these bands aren't some form of heavy metal.

Well, I wasn't implying that if people call a certain band 'metal'..that indeed they would be 'metal', specifically. I implied that if that a certain band had the sound parameters that fit one's specific definition of metal, then it could be categorized as 'metal', to that one person, of course. I must admit there should an implied set of rules for a band to be metal, as in to be loud, using distortion and using specific instruments like the guitar, bass, and drums as basis for a band. Am I right? Though other instruments are welcome as an extension. But to imply that those bands that you mentioned that weren't 'metal' as a fact, is what I took offense to. I respect your opinion about those bands whether you like those bands or not.
Btw. thanks for reminding me, Sevendust should be on that list. Can't believe I forgot about them. -_-

Agreed with KagePrototype :p :devil:

KagePrototype said:
You will choke on those words one day. /me sets Skinny Puppy lose on RevisedSoul

To say Slipknot isn't metal is just denial (they are blisteringly heavy sometimes, yes it's true :p), Tool are very much metal, just a lot more progressive than other bands. Go listen to songs like Cold And Ugly and tell me that isn't metal. The rest are definately a form of heavy metal (or nu-metal if you want), even if they aren't as heavy as other bands. I'm not sure what sort of definition of heavy metal you're using, but I can't see how these bands aren't some form of heavy metal.

From a Slipknot fansite:
1.What genre does Slipknot belong to?
Hard to explain, but let's put it this way: they're a band that fuses elements taken from hardcore (ie. aggressive vocals, heavy chunks of distortion), goregrind (ie. blast beats, gore imagery), and modern rock. They're not metal, and they're certainly not plain hard rock either.

They are NOT metal. As soon as you start adding that rappy shit... you're no longer metal.

Non-Sequitur said:
From a Slipknot fansite:
1.What genre does Slipknot belong to?
Hard to explain, but let's put it this way: they're a band that fuses elements taken from hardcore (ie. aggressive vocals, heavy chunks of distortion), goregrind (ie. blast beats, gore imagery), and modern rock. They're not metal, and they're certainly not plain hard rock either.

They are NOT metal. As soon as you start adding that rappy shit... you're no longer metal.

Agressive vocals, heavy chunks of distortion, and gore imagery, are all pretty large staples in the Metal category. :) And Slipknot haven't been rapping since their first album, on which they rapped on maybe one or two songs (not that rapping doesn't make you a metal band, it's just rhyming to a beat, you can still share similarities and trademarks with other metal bands). They're an extreme metal band, sharing qualities with bands like Machine Head and Slayer, who are both Metal bands as well. They play huge, down-tuned, heavy guitar riffs, they have ecentric, fast, loud percussion, and they're full of angry screaming vocals. Sounds like Metal to me. :)

hmmm, metal, what is metal. Well lets see.

met·al (mtl)
n.

1. Any of a category of electropositive elements that usually reflect light, are generally good conductors of heat and electricity, and can be melted or fused, hammered into thin sheets, or drawn into wires. Typical metals form salts with nonmetals, basic oxides with oxygen, and alloys with one another.
2. An alloy of two or more metallic elements.
3. An object made of metal.

Clearly I don't listen to metal, that would be rather dull... oohohohoho hahha hehheheohohoho ohoho that was a good one eh?

Ok sorry, I quit.

tool isnt metal. they are their own genre. Slipknot gets close to metal, but just doenst quite get there.

and manson is a shock rocker, not metal

Back