Anyone else bored with Doom 3 now that they've finished it?

Sparta

Reaction score
Cause i am bored outta my skull. I thought it would be fun to paly it again on other difficulty levels but it can barely bring myself to get back to Marine HQ after the invasion has begun, its so boring.

Anyway, i'm going to return the game tomorrow and get my money back (Multiplayer is good for an hour or two but 5 maps becomes quite boring) its 100 bucks here in melbourne, and i see it being a long time until a good mod comes out for me to justify my purchase.

(P.S : Not saying its crap, its great, more fun then Far Cry but i'm not spending 100 bucks on it when its only fun the first time through)

I'm not really seeing the logic in returning it... If you believe that it will be sometime until a good mod is released for it, what are you going to do? Spend another 100 bucks?! o_O

well when i mean a long-time i'm picturing months or so, and by then either CS:Source of Half-Life 2 should be out, and by the end of my month i'll have a GameCube with Zelda:WindWaker.

Doom 3 was something that i was hoping to play and be able to come back to every now and then. Like NOLF or something, but its just meh. Also after posting that i read that the SS2 Rebirth mod had been closed down by EA(Or some other company) unfortunately :( and that was the only mod i was looking forward too.

I'm tempted to return it but i think i'll just leave it on my shelf as a reminder that i made the wrong decision in buying it, i should have really waited for peoples opinions and magazine reviews. For some reason though i put a bit of faith into iD, i thought it would be more than a 2 day game then after that never touch it again.

Oh well.

yeah, I'm pretty bored of it now...I cant seem to play it again becauseI just know whats around the corner :( and it wont be as fun ;(

I hear Metroid Prime is good, should i trade it for that?

Sparta said:
I hear Metroid Prime is good, should i trade it for that?

Of course.

Metroid Prime is a better game than Doom 3.

Even if it means i'll have to wait until August 30th to play it? Which will then be past the trade-in date if i don't like the game?

Plus i heard its like 18 hours long

Metroid Prime is a good game overall - although it reminded me too much of Halo for some reason - the typical futuristic armoured enemies. Anyway, it's good but it is NOT a true FPS, you have a lock on system which makes it too easy.

I've got DooM 3 on pre-order, but after reading some people's opinion's I'm debating whether to cancel it and just borrow it from my friend after he's finished with it. Anyway, I masewell buy it since I have two £10 gift vouchers to spend.

lans said:
Metroid Prime is a good game overall - although it reminded me too much of Halo for some reason - the typical futuristic armoured enemies. Anyway, it's good but it is NOT a true FPS, you have a lock on system which makes it too easy.

True, it's more a first person adventure game.

I don't see how you can compare it with Halo, though. Both titles differ so much (I suppose they're both viewed in the first person, and the protagonists wear armour. The similarities end here)

The artwork is fantastic and looks, imo, better than Doom 3 (detail, shaders and fancy lighting effects aren't as important creative design and good art direction. The Metroid Prime universe is beautiful, wonderfully varied, and really 'believable') It's also the only title i've played that can match D3 in terms of polish.

Doom 3 offers a beautiful, but very shallow, experience (you're not alone in being very bored with this game already, Sparta) Metroid Prime has the atmosphere and, in contrast, the depth to back it up. It's an epic in every sense of the word.

But yeh - it's not a fps. While there's plenty of action, it isn't the games focal point. It's an explorer's game :)

(Had MP been released on the pc everyone in this forum would be hailing it as one of the best games ever made - which, of coure, it is ;) )

TBH, ive pre-ordered it because I'm looking foward to the mods, for example...COOP!! \o/ (a decent one that is)

Wtf I don't understand something: why is everbody saying "blabla im just gonna return it", is it that easy?

You don't even have a legit reason do you?
You have payed for the doom 3 expierence, wich you got, you don't have any right to get your money back imo...or do stores think otherwise? :]

sHm0zY said:
I didn't eaven finish it and im bored..

I suggest playing it in short bursts, and not too often.

(I agree though, you really have to try to stay interested in this game - which says quite alot)

i am currently re playing it, i think its an awesome game.

prob replay a 3rd time. Then sit and wait for HL2

Metriod prime is more adventure than FPS...great game however.
It sounds like d3 is a lot of scripted events, is this true?

I wish there were even more scripted events. The ones they have are awesome.

P.S. What store allows you to buy a game, play it, and then return it for a full refund?

EB let you returen a game within 10 days of purchasing.

You can buy a game, take it back and say 'this game sux, I want my money back'

And they give it to you XD

what!? said:
P.S. What store allows you to buy a game, play it, and then return it for a full refund?

say it wouldn't run on your system, did that for several games that had pretty graphics and sucked ass

I wont return it, I think ID deserved the damn money... yeah it was repetitive in parts, but its still a great game, especially once you get towards the hell areas.. things pick up again... the story suddenly comes alive (outta nowhere) and the level design and graphics spooge wonderful magic eye-happy juice at you constantly.

the engine is phenomenal, and for that reason we can expect to see some cool mods.. Im sure.
Im currently re-playing the game through on Nightmare (I already finished it in Veteran) Im finding it a bit more enjoyable, you have to be a little more on your toes.... thats due largely in part to you only have 25hp, but still.

I also downloaded a couple mods (Project Brian V014, and UEQ mod) that add some flavor to the game.... the plasma shotgun is fun too.

if you havent already, try adding some mods, they might make you enjoy the game a bit more.

http://www.fileplanet.com/filelist.aspx?st=1&sf=2&s=99111&v=0

The monsters kept me coming back. :)

Now that I've seen all the monsters in D3, I really don't feel like playing it all again. :( Maybe, I'll mess around with the scripted sequences with some cheats - like kill the scientists and stuff with a BFG :D.

I lost all my save games when i had to reformat.

I can't stand playing through it again. It's so boring, the cheap scares don't work once you know where they are.

On that note can someone send me there autosaves? Im up to the monorail.

I love the game and glad I spent the money to get it.

I can't believe you people ended the game so fast, apparently it really suked.
I don't know why you guys rush so much, When I'll have HL2, I'll play 2 hours a day max. Plus I havent read anythink like: Whoa, This whoa That. Man, HL2 will be a good game.

Yep, I doubt I'll be playing Doom 3 this year again. Maybe next year I'll take it out of my drawer and see what cool mods have come up, but till then it's gonna be a lot of Knights of the Old Republic until HL2 comes out :)

Adrien C said:
I can't believe you people ended the game so fast, apparently it really suked.
I don't know why you guys rush so much, When I'll have HL2, I'll play 2 hours a day max. Plus I havent read anythink like: Whoa, This whoa That. Man, HL2 will be a good game.

I'm taking my time on D3 and it seems to be plenty long to me. I don't really understand everyone's complaints about it either. I think it just got too overhyped so that everyone expected some sort of miracle. Id never claimed that it was some sort of revolution in gameplay. It's just a scifi horror FPS with the best graphics seen to date. The attention to detail in this game is just stunning.

As for the "whoa this", well there's just too much to look at really. I think "whoa!" about everytime I come around a corner.

I am wondering if Doom 3 is an age based game. It is appearing that younger gamers do not like Doom 3 while older gamers do. I may start a poll if I get bored.

I personally love Doom 3, one of my favorite games of all-time.

^Ben said:
I lost all my save games when i had to reformat.

I can't stand playing through it again. It's so boring, the cheap scares don't work once you know where they are.

On that note can someone send me there autosaves? Im up to the monorail.

you were up to the monorail? or you are up there again after formatting?
what saves do you need?

I zipped up my whole autosaves dir for you, only to realize that the rar was like 20mb.

so I thought you meant you needed monorail, so here it is.
http://www.undertheinfluence.org/~mrredundant/RedundantD3save.rar

be forewarned though, I play on veteran.

blahblahblah said:
I am wondering if Doom 3 is an age based game. It is appearing that younger gamers do not like Doom 3 while older gamers do. I may start a poll if I get bored.

what do you consider old? I thought it was enjoyable albeit a bit repetitive, and Im 22.
I wouldnt say it straight out sucks, it just lacks a more involving game experience.

I'm not done with yet... so of course I'm not bored! :D Stilll think it's great. I'm also lookin' forward to playing through it again... rock-style... :p

Anyway, returning a game after you've played all the way through it just seems wrong...

blahblahblah said:
I am wondering if Doom 3 is an age based game. It is appearing that younger gamers do not like Doom 3 while older gamers do.

I've actually found the opposite to be true.

(26 here and a massive Doom fan. Think Doom 3 is good, but nothing special)

blahblahblah said:

Nice to see someone else who thinks it's great.

well i downloaded d3 and i can confirm im not going to buy it. Nice graphics but too repetitive corridor/room/corridor/room/vent/room bleh. too little variation in location so far im holding out for the hell levels they better be good!!! cant wait for hl2 it must be better than this!

blahblahblah said:

The reviewers at GS/IGN are probably 20+ years old, and it happens that they didn't like the game so much, judging by their reviews.

I myself am 17, and didn't find the game remotely scary. Although I must admit, it is still a very fun game.

Letters said:
I'm not done with yet... so of course I'm not bored! :D Stilll think it's great. I'm also lookin' forward to playing through it again... rock-style... :p

Anyway, returning a game after you've played all the way through it just seems wrong...

I like playing games through again, especially those with good plots like deus ex or half-lfie. I played COD through again many times just becuase ive been waiting for a game liek it for a long time. But it starts out great and then goes odwnhill ofr me, the american campaign is the best because you always fight weith teammates. British was worst, you either lost all your comrades or were fighting alone from the start. Back on topic, i think ill stay away from doom3. Just because its expensive andf its either doom3 or Call of Duty United Offensive.

There was one thing that really killed the scare factor for me:

Imp overuse. There were so goddamn many Imps jumping out of convienent little closets, like the were thinking "oh I should wait here for that Marine dude to come by". Imps are cool, but I don't see why they couldn't have the them be a little less predictable. They don't climb on the walls outside of scripted sequences. I also felt that they didn't use enough of some of their other enemies. There were hardly any Pinky Demons. All of the sounds and environment was really creepy, but they ruined it with cheap in-your-face scares. The game is great apart from the so-so scare tactics.

Personally, I think returning a game after finishing it is completely immoral. No different than pirating really.

I expected better from you Sparta.

DarkStar said:
Personally, I think returning a game after finishing it is completely immoral. No different than pirating really.

I expected better from you Sparta.

If the game is worth keeping then people will generally do so. It's no different from returning anything else.

Back