Anyone else doing final PC preperations?

silverstealth89 said:
actually man for one if you sit one day and just configure your PC to do alot of automated stuff it will clean up useless files. and btw falcon also rips off so its not only alienware. oh and second i was being partially sarcastic about ht eno tweaking. its just htat alienware has really good upgrades that rarely need changing and are optimized for Alienware

If you re-read my post you will see it says all those compaines "suck" but if you HAD to buy one, falcon northwest is better then alienware.

Automation only does so much. and what are you talking about really good "upgrades" that are optimized for alienware? if they post drivers on their site they are the exact same as the ones on the manufactors website.

Alig said:
Whats that!!? Dust slows your PC down...lol :p

No, but dust can kill components.

HBomb said:
Deleted all my unwanted crap....upgraded to a 6800GT over clocked to 370/1100 mgz mated to a p4c800-e deluxe Asus board running a P4HT 2.8 clocked to 3.0 ghz with two banks of corsair xms memory at 256 mb each running at 880 mgz.....oh and have recentley upgraded to an iiyama prolite E431S lcd screen(16ms)....this game better cut the mustard!

You got all that nice stuff but your holding your self back with 512mbs of ram?

Lanthanide said:
The compressed air is likely to do more damage than the dust could - putting pressure onto capacitors and the other sticky-up bits that could snap or get bent, or if you get the liquid air on them and cool them right down could lead to weird internal structure problems or cracking (of the PCB in particular).

The dust doesn't really do anything, unlesss your mobo etc is getting -really- hot in which case it'd catch on fire (but we're talking at least 100°C here) which should never happen - CPU, maybe (hope not), mobo, no.

ied probley do the compressed air thingy then do what this dude going to do lol

jabberwock95
I am probably going to open up my comp and hoover it out, check the fans and all that.

shapeshifter said:
If you re-read my post you will see it says all those compaines "suck" but if you HAD to buy one, falcon northwest is better then alienware.

Automation only does so much. and what are you talking about really good "upgrades" that are optimized for alienware? if they post drivers on their site they are the exact same as the ones on the manufactors website.

No, but dust can kill components.
i beg to differ i dled the omega drivers and it totall fuked up my PC had to call up tech support btw its 24/7 and they had to fix it. alienware has partnerships with different companies and they get different software than the rest. and if you think all of them suck why dont you tell me which one is the best.

Well, I don't really care if the Firewall is free or not. They can't really be that expencive, and I mean. They are really worth it. So any other Firewall exept ZoneAlarm that might be better but costs money?

This thread is freaky.

Some of you guys are actually 'cleaning your room, or your desk area' in preparation for Half-Life2. If you had a girl coming over I would understand it... but...

Kaspersky AntiHacker is decent. If you use Norton AntiVirus, then Norton Personal Firewall is a good choice, integration and everything. Sygate Firewall, IIRC, also had a commercial version, also an option.

Joims said:
im not risking any tweaking

n whats the point ocing a 6800 ...........

i mean bloody hell its already top of the range

hehe far from it mate, Unless you are talking about the 6800 ultra.

_____

I just recently upgraded my machine... this is what i bought :

X800 XT Platinum edition.
1gig pc4400 corsair twin x memory

Already got p4 2.6c @ 3ghz.
Running off sata drive.

System running slick and smooth :D.

Lanthanide said:
The compressed air is likely to do more damage than the dust could - putting pressure onto capacitors and the other sticky-up bits that could snap or get bent, or if you get the liquid air on them and cool them right down could lead to weird internal structure problems or cracking (of the PCB in particular).

The dust doesn't really do anything, unlesss your mobo etc is getting -really- hot in which case it'd catch on fire (but we're talking at least 100°C here) which should never happen - CPU, maybe (hope not), mobo, no.

I know what compressed air does and doesn't do. I'm not a newbie to PC's. I'm not holding this air down on the parts directly, and even if you did, nothing would happen. I've done it like that before without a problem.

WabeWalker said:
This thread is freaky.

Some of you guys are actually 'cleaning your room, or your desk area' in preparation for Half-Life2. If you had a girl coming over I would understand it... but...

Heck, I wouldn't even clean of my bed if [insert hot celebety chick here, Angelina Jolie] came over. I'd just do her on the computer desk... Ahh, the floor... Well, there must be space over somewhere. =)

eiric said:
Heck, I wouldn't even clean of my bed if [insert hot celebety chick here, Angelina Jolie] came over. I'd just do her on the computer desk... Ahh, the floor... Well, there must be space over somewhere. =)

This is why you're single.

I would highly recommend not using SP2, their have been loads of problems with it interfering with cs:source. Crashing the game etc. However, if you already have it installed, DO NOT REMOVE IT. I had to format to get cs:s working again after uninstalling sp2, couldn't even get it to boot back into windows. no recovery, no safe mode, nothing worked. Anyways, just a warning.

eiric said:
Well, I don't really care if the Firewall is free or not. They can't really be that expencive, and I mean. They are really worth it. So any other Firewall exept ZoneAlarm that might be better but costs money?

Buy ISA server

internet security and acceleration server

Is a proxy server based proggy but has a v good firewall and my dadi set it up in sucha way that i am basically unhaxorable :D

Expensive tho :S

it is teh peen :p

Oh yeah Norton antivirus is a peice of poo it substitues Decent safety with pointless crap like telling you where the hacker is coming from Whihc could be horrifically in accurate if the hacker had anyclue of what they are doing

Buy mc affee enterprise it is gud

Joims said:
Buy ISA server

internet security and acceleration server

Is a proxy server based proggy but has a v good firewall and my dadi set it up in sucha way that i am basically unhaxorable :D

Expensive tho :S

it is teh peen :p

Well, how expenice then? I mean I don't have alot of money. But spending what I have on a firewall might be a good choise. Besides, I need something that is really EASY to use. =)

silverstealth89 said:
i beg to differ i dled the omega drivers and it totall fuked up my PC had to call up tech support btw its 24/7 and they had to fix it. alienware has partnerships with different companies and they get different software than the rest. and if you think all of them suck why dont you tell me which one is the best.

Well you can't install drivers then, must be why you bought an alienware in the first place.

The best? the one you build yourself, you get better for cheaper, and you learn in the process. :naughty:

Alientank said:
I know what compressed air does and doesn't do. I'm not a newbie to PC's. I'm not holding this air down on the parts directly, and even if you did, nothing would happen. I've done it like that before without a problem.

The only danger compresed air has is if you say turn it upside down, you'll start spraying out dry ice, which can damage things.

How much is a can of compressed air?

In my local pcw orld they have it on shelf but no price next to it :(

And what ever you do people dont blow it onto a fan it will make it spin so fast it feks it : /

If your gunna do it hold the fan so it doesnt spin and make sure it dont pinch ur finger !!!!

yeah i was bloody suprised too :p

not worth buying it i heard blackice is meant to be quite good dont know nething about it other than that tho

Ty alientank im gunan get some on the way home from sixth form tomorow Any safety tips on using it ?????

Lol disk keeper reporint a warning cos imy 7 gb c:\ drive partition has 11% fragmentation :O

RoflCopter

I've just downloaded the latest version of Firefox. I can tell, so far, I am very happy with it. Looks as if it's better than IE. Pages load much faster, too. :)

I just got a second hard drive. Hl2 is the only thing on it. I'm ready.

Back