Anyone get small 'stuttering' in HL2?

M

MasterVampire

does anyone get this lil problem where when your playing, when something big happens, the game 'chugs' for like 1 milisecond and then is all smooth again?
Cause my hl2 runs great, just sometimes it will chug for a split second then be fine again , like sometimes in gunfights walking into a new area etc..

2.0 ghz
768ram
9600xt

Yes.
Welcome to the forums. Many people are having the same problems as you. Hopefully Valve has their spies out and is aware of the problem.

yeah i have the same issue. otherwise runs 100% smooth.

2.4 P4
512MB DDR400
AIW 9800 pro 128MB (4.11 drivers)
SB audigy gamer

yeah i got sound and graphic stuttering at the start of the game and after loading intervals,

Amd Athlon XP 3200+
1 gb DDR400
9800 Pro 4.11 drivers

hmmm ok cause i was thinking about bumping my ram from 768 to 1gig, but is it worth it if its a game bug ?

i get it too
barton 2800
radeon 9800 pro 4.11
1gb ddr400

nothing too major but im sure itll be fixed very soon

oldagerocker said:
yeah i got sound and graphic stuttering at the start of the game and after loading intervals,

same here.

Amd Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 4000+ (13*200)
1 gb DDR400
9800 SE @ Pro (400/365)
4.12 beta drivers

It happening after loading is normal, I think it's when the game is replacing the textures in the graphics card, OR because we all have low-tech processors, it's the game trying the calculate the physics. I think it's the latter.

Happens here to. So I dont think its a RAM issue.

AMD Athlon XP 2800
1 Gb RAM
9800 PRO

ive noticed it autosaves at certain points during the game, this will cause i small slow down while it does this

It happens to me too, seems to be when loading a new room. Doesn't happen as much later on (i'm on chptr 7) though.

p4 3.2
1gb ddr400
x800pro - 4.12

i think when it loads a new room (every 10 secs it seems) it also auto-saves, so that might be the reason, i did have that aswell (with sound loop ocasionally) but not all the time

I get the occassional stutter. I'm pretty sure its the loading textures thing. It certainly doesn't detract from the whole gaming experience though.

Athlon64 3400+
1gig DDR400
ATI X800 Pro

you can try and change cl_smooth to 0, this has helped me a little bit. but i havent played enough yet to confirm

It's the AUTOSAVES as one guy said earlier. Now we just need to find out how to turn them off

solution

I think altering the heapsize can help this. For some strange reason in hl2 the default heapsize when u start the game is 64mb.

Set it to half your system memory with the command

-heapsize (number)000

In the launch options of hl2. You have to add 3 zeros to your heapsize in mb.

BigJack said:
I think altering the heapsize can help this. For some strange reason in hl2 the default heapsize when u start the game is 64mb.

-heapsize (number)000

thanks, I'll try that.

Mine studders when loading a new room, but it's nothing serious at all.

I think it must be a Source engine problem, rather than just HL2. I read a review of the new Vampire game earlier (which also uses Source) and it mentions a similar problem with that game too.

I get the stutter too.

Athlon 64 3200+
1024MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB

It usually stutters heavily after I pass through a LOADING spot. And gets a bit choppy in tense situations/hi-tech sights.

I have it too. It worsens if I turn up the model AND texture detail to high. Its fine with just one of them high

It's texture related (and maybe video card memory related). I had this "pause" bug with the sound loop when I turned fast on myself in a new area and when I entered a new room. The bug nearly dissapeared when I turned down the textures to medium (with models still to high). I had this problem with the demo of Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, but they fixed it in the retail.

Hope this get fixed soon! There's too much blur in medium...

Robert1444

I'm getting alot of shuttering. As soon as the game starts when the g-man starts talking its jumpy. Can anyone help me because I don't want to continue playing like this, its just too annoying.

PIV 2.6ht
512mb Ram
ATI 9800

oldagerocker said:

Amd Athlon XP 3200+
1 gb DDR400
9800 Pro 4.11 drivers
Ditto. It sometimes lasts 2 or 3 seconds.
Athlon 64 3200+
1 GB DDR333
Geforce 6800, latest official drivers
80 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200

For me it happens after i load a game for about 2-3 secs. Very rarely will it happen while im playing maybe once or twice a level. Doesnt bother me at all.

I reckon it's when it autosaves. Not a problem.
It's so beautiful I can forgive it :p

Anyway, back to it... byeee

I think the stuttering is just because the game saves. Just look at the autosave files a few seconds after it happens. You should see that it stuttered right at the place the game saved.. atleast that's how it is for me.

Yes, this is a known problem, doesnt matter what system, videocard, etc, you have, everyone seems to get it and most don't seem to be able to completely eliminate it.

BigJack said:

-heapsize (number)000

Thanks for the tip, I've been trying everything to fix this problem. But I'm not sure what you mean by 'launch options', could you/someone explain this a little better so that I don't mess anything up? Thanks. :)

DarkTimes said:
Thanks for the tip, I've been trying everything to fix this problem. But I'm not sure what you mean by 'launch options', could you/someone explain this a little better so that I don't mess anything up? Thanks. :)

Right click the game inside Steam...it should be under one of those options if I remember correctly. I am at work right now so I cant verify...

Yeah i get the samething as well and i have a monster of a machine so i know its not the machine.

Right click Half-Life 2 in "My Games", select "Properties", then look for "Launch Options". Click that then enter the "-heapsize" command. I set this to half my RAM (1/2 768MB so "-heapsize 348000") and performance improvement was dramatic. Virtually eliminated freezing and sound stuttering for me and the game seems to run much more smoothly.

Back