Are you buying through Steam or Retail?

Will You buy through Steam Or Retail?

• Steam

Votes: 61 32.8%
  • Retail

Votes: 125 67.2%

• Total voters
Retail. For real. I want the box, manual, and CDs...in my hands...then in my DVD Drive. :p

Wesisapie said:
I'm sorry but you NEED steam installed and running to play it, single player or otherwise. end of story. Trust me on that.

You really think valve is going to make hl2 unavailable to the thousands of people who do not have internet connections, or the probably millions of people who still have dialup and cant leave it connected all the time? Dont be ridiculous, of course the store bought hl2 will run independently of steam or at the very least will install a local version of steam that does not need an internet connection.

Void said:
You really think valve is going to make hl2 unavailable to the thousands of people who do not have internet connections, or the probably millions of people who still have dialup and cant leave it connected all the time? Dont be ridiculous, of course the store bought hl2 will run independently of steam or at the very least will install a local version of steam that does not need an internet connection.

This does make more sense, money wise

whichever i can play first, and that looks like steam, since by the time vivendi ships the boxes off, valve will probably activate hl2 the same day, hence a simultaneous release

Unless there is something in the Collectors Edition pack that really fills my bone I will get it through Steam.

JimmehH said:
Retail. Only have a debit card.

If they let you pay via Pay Pal, WorldPay or nochex however...

U can buy anything on steam with a visa/mastercard (debit card) or anything online for that matter, just gotta have the funds in the checking account. Allready baught condition zero with a visa debit card.

I'm going to get the CE version so I can hold the box in my hands and cherish it forever.

I'm still "old school". I just don't trust electronic distribution. If they let us download complete ISOs then I'd be all for it, but having a version that can only work through Steam doesn't really appeal to me at the moment.

Same here, I don't trust credit cards. I've preordered things through the internet only twice and that only because I could save 30% and the thing cost well over $300

Steam for me... I know I'll have right when it's out, and I can always burn it to a CD later if I really wanted to... oh, and I'm still hoping for a lower price as well. ;)

Once you buy the case, you can always download the game through steam using your CD-key I would guess (or am I wrong).

I am actually gonna download it through Steam with my voucher so I can get it immediately. I will eventually buy it though, just to have a physical copy of it.

BigNamek...

I'll get it Half Life 2 in a Store. I want the box and I want to put the box on my "Best Games" Spot :)

Retail So I Can Have The Box In My Hands And Punch Gordon In The Face

Retail because I collect game boxes, and I like knowing I have something tangible for the cash I spent on it.

however Im thinking about one version through steam.... (CE) maybe
since Im going to buy two versions anyway.
that way I can play the game the second it comes out. and if the stores take a day extra or whatever I wont be hanging myself or hijacking shipping trucks.

that works too, since I want to play the sp before I try mp, my bro can install the mp on his and play that while I romp through the sp.
then just install his own copy once it arrives.

i like to have the cd's, ive bought several games off of steam, and its just not what i like doing, although you dont have to get out of your chair to buy it :p

Buying it from store gets me in the right mood ^^

ManHacks said:
i like to have the cd's, ive bought several games off of steam, and its just not what i like doing, although you dont have to get out of your chair to buy it :p

How many is Several, lol. Theres only TWO games you can buy on steam right now. LOL.

I have hl2 through the ati voucher and will be buying the collectors edition.

nothins gonna beat that *gotta get home NOW! RIGHT NOW!!!* mode im gonna be in when i pick it up from gamestop. When you get it through steam, you miss out on that. as well as the cutting the plastic from the box, opening the box for the first time, first look at the cd, and the manual breeze through during install. All essential parts to purchasing a new game, especially one like hl2

mashed said:
nothins gonna beat that *gotta get home NOW! RIGHT NOW!!!* mode im gonna be in when i pick it up from gamestop. When you get it through steam, you miss out on that. as well as the cutting the plastic from the box, opening the box for the first time, first look at the cd, and the manual breeze through during install. All essential parts to purchasing a new game, especially one like hl2

Hehe, I won't get to experience that since I will be downloading it. It's gonna suck 'cuz I'm just going to sit there and do nothing but watch the progress bar.

BigNamek...

i shall be buying it retail as judging from cz, its likely it will cost more to download from steam!!!
if it was a bit less, i would get through steam but id much rather have the real thing.

BigNamek said:
Hehe, I won't get to experience that since I will be downloading it. It's gonna suck 'cuz I'm just going to sit there and do nothing but watch the progress bar.

BigNamek...
That's the time you should spend stacking snacks and carbonated beverages by your computer desk. :)

Retail all the way. I like holding a box in my hands....

Plus, the store I preordered from has a policy of delivering games on the release date. Because the post is fast in my area I have recieved several games one day before official release. Maybe this'll happen with HL2, maybe not. I still want the box though.

I'll purchase the game through Steam! I might buy a box when they turn up in the bargain bins...or even buy a cheapie on ebay.

I have no idea. A friend pre-ordered it from Wal-Mart for my birthday...so I guess i'm getting it retail? Might have to pick it up or it may get sent to my mail box. Hmm....

VoiD said:

*This is not a flame, just want to clear up some misunderstandings*
Shut down steam. Disconnect from the internet. Restart steam. It will give you "Retry connection" and "Start in offline mode". Start it in offline mode. Now try and load half life into single player. Still work? Thats how HL2 will work. Its built in, you know how you converted half life to steam when you first got it, and it cleared up your sierra directory? Then the only way to play HL1 was to either use steam or reinstall from disk? Thats how HL2 will work, except it will be installed into steam automatically, rather than its on location.
Neat eh?

Myself, I am downloading, assuming they will take paypal or whatever.
I think it is the future of games and things that you pay/ download/ and if needs be, burn a disk, so I want to support it, as its a good idea.

Actually, they have now made ink printing to disks possible, maybe in the future, you would make your own hard copy?

Back