Are you listening to METAL!?!?!

Blind Guardian - Nightfall

And I can safely say Blind Guardian > *
:hmph:

Six Feet Under - Dead and Buried

Not much of a death metal fan, but I've been liking some of the songs by them I've heard.

As I Lay Dying- Wide Awake

Pretty good, but I prefer rock like Metallica, ACDC, and Zep. (Yes, LED IS ROCK!)

Listening to The Berzerker's self-titled album. Heralded as one of the fastest Death-Grind bands around, it's a pretty mental experience. Heck, they even used a drumming machine.

Axyon said:
Heck, they even used a drumming machine.
Can't stand drum machines in metal. I don't think they have a place there at all.

If you can't actually play it, then don't put it on the album. This is my main problem with The Crown: Janne, the drummer, used triggers for his live shows but not in the studio! Seems backwards to me, but then again, I don't believe in using them at all. Still love them though...RIP.

Listening to Toxik's World Circus on a mint LP right now. Reminds me of old-school Anthrax--the good stuff. Now if I could just find a decent copy of Think This things will be well....

VictimOfScience said:
Can't stand drum machines in metal. I don't think they have a place there at all.

If you can't actually play it, then don't put it on the album. This is my main problem with The Crown: Janne, the drummer, used triggers for his live shows but not in the studio! Seems backwards to me, but then again, I don't believe in using them at all. Still love them though...RIP.

Listening to Toxik's World Circus on a mint LP right now. Reminds me of old-school Anthrax--the good stuff. Now if I could just find a decent copy of Think This things will be well....
It would annoy me too, but on their second album 'Dissimulate' they got a real drummer and ended up playing even faster than the first. Absurd.

VictimOfScience said:

Occasionally you'll find drum machines used well, like in Anaal Nathrakh, and it doesn't detract anything. A drum machine isn't bad either when the drums are meant to be monotonous a la Hate Forest. It mainly works best in Black Metal, though, or somewhere where you need the drum input to fit in with a kind of overall inhuman/machinelike vibe.

As for triggers live - it actually makes more sense then having them on a studio album to me. Think about it, a band can spend as long as they feel like in the studio mic'ing their drums to sound exactly the way they want, fine tuning all the organic elements, etc. Triggers are a shortcut to nice sound that they shouldn't need to take as much in the studio, compared to live where they might only get a tiny amount of time setting up and soundchecking.

I had my faith in live metal almost destroyed by a series of utterly shit sounding gigs, where you couldn't make head nor tail of the live version of a song you might have heard 100 times on record. Triggers help to rectify that a lot - drums are the percussive backbone of metal after all. Try seeing Behemoth live some time and you'll see how great it can be to trigger live drums. Triggers aren't even comparable to a drum machine anyway.

Ekinflog said:
Necrophagist-Epitaph

So so so so so so good.

Er, I'm listening to Primus now, but it was Testament - Practice What You Preach (Album) before.

If you like tech-death metal like Necrophagist, you might also like Theory in Practice and Pavor.

Laivasse said:
As for triggers live - it actually makes more sense then having them on a studio album to me. Think about it, a band can spend as long as they feel like in the studio mic'ing their drums to sound exactly the way they want, fine tuning all the organic elements, etc. Triggers are a shortcut to nice sound that they shouldn't need to take as much in the studio, compared to live where they might only get a tiny amount of time setting up and soundchecking.

I know they are useful in some circumstances, but as a drummer, I have spent innumerable hours behind my kit on the pedals working so that I won't need to use them, even for a 40-50 minute set that is heavy on the double-kick. I feel like they are a way for others who haven't spent as much time working on their methods to sort of cheat. Just my opinion.

And I prefer when bands (rare as it may be in this day and age) record live in the studio. For example, a band called Exit to Eternity from Brooklyn, NY did that for a demo they released a couple of years ago and it sounded amazing. I prefer it a raw sound as opposed to an over-produced sound, just as I prefer my gigs to be straight human talent, unhindered by shortcuts to success.

Laivasse said:
I had my faith in live metal almost destroyed by a series of utterly shit sounding gigs, where you couldn't make head nor tail of the live version of a song you might have heard 100 times on record. Triggers help to rectify that a lot - drums are the percussive backbone of metal after all. Try seeing Behemoth live some time and you'll see how great it can be to trigger live drums. Triggers aren't even comparable to a drum machine anyway.
But seeing Cryptopsy live with all of the triggers that Flo used didn't make it better for me--it actually detracted from the experience. Still, I haven't seen his Extreme Metal Drumming 101 DVD yet and I imagine that might make me feel better about things...or worse.

I understand where you're coming from. Like I said in my post I also think there's less reason to use triggers in the studio, and much prefer a raw sound on record. Axis of Advance, my favourite band, have been pretty vociferous about the use of triggers, saying they just sound like typewriters and dilute the intensity of DM.

Live though, it seems to me the problem faced by most metal bands is not having the skill to play what they have written, but having the luck and venue-side expertise to get it to sound good. You might hit really hard on the kit but if some dumb techie screws up your volume then half your drums could still be nowhere in the mix. Considering the cacophonous nature of a lot of metal I don't mind some bands using triggers to just make the sound a bit more uniform than it would be otherwise.

You're right though, triggered live kits do often sound like crap too. I find it's often a problem when they trigger only the kick, and then pump up the volume on that but forget about the rest of the kit, so you break a rib with every kick hit but the snare sounds like it's being played by a mouse, and listening out for the toms is like trying to hear a butterfly flap its wings. It really makes me sick when I go to a gig with shit sound.

Laivasse said:
I understand where you're coming from. Like I said in my post I also think there's less reason to use triggers in the studio, and much prefer a raw sound on record. Axis of Advance, my favourite band, have been pretty vociferous about the use of triggers, saying they just sound like typewriters and dilute the intensity of DM.
Hahaha! I agree! And I am definitely going to check them out. Thanks!

Laivasse said:
Considering the cacophonous nature of a lot of metal I don't mind some bands using triggers to just make the sound a bit more uniform than it would be otherwise.

You're right though, triggered live kits do often sound like crap too. I find it's often a problem when they trigger only the kick, and then pump up the volume on that but forget about the rest of the kit, so you break a rib with every kick hit but the snare sounds like it's being played by a mouse, and listening out for the toms is like trying to hear a butterfly flap its wings. It really makes me sick when I go to a gig with shit sound.
Really good points. As long as its mixed well it can be tolerated, but go to a show with a crap sound man or crap equipment and its a painful experience listening to your favorite tunes get trashed.

The worst is if its mixed poorly on the album though--very little you can do about that except hope for a re-mix LOL! I have heard of precious few of those, though, except for maybe The Crown doing Crowned in Terror as Crowned Unholy--not bad(I love Johan's voice), but some of the other sounds they added are just too weird for me.

Laivasse said:
If you like tech-death metal like Necrophagist, you might also like Theory in Practice and Pavor.

I shall look into them. I'll tell my freind, too. He got me into Necrophagist 'cause he and I are bassists... and some of the stuff Necrophagist do. Well..

Sodom - Nuclear Winter.

Rob Zombies album past present and future.

listening to his boogeyman right now

Laivasse said:

Yes, necrophagist are awesome. Just discovered them earlier this week.

Origin play some great Tech DM, too. Well, it's almost grind, but it's still great.

Anyway, Hypocrisy - Virus at the moment. Took a few listens (no idea why), but I really like it.

Yeah, origin are pretty cool. I really wish all their songs were as good as Portal though.

TheBleeding said:
I shall look into them. I'll tell my freind, too. He got me into Necrophagist 'cause he and I are bassists... and some of the stuff Necrophagist do. Well..

Sodom - Nuclear Winter.

Ah, if you want wacky bass stuff then I reaaally recommend Pavor (the 'Furioso' album). The bassist is the driving force of the band, plays a six string, and regularly does crazy shredding solos on it. Obviously there's an element of masturbation and showing-off-ness...but a lot of it fits in strangely well.

I also remember hearing a tiny bit of Spiral Architect ages ago, who struck me as some kind of power metal, avant garde, technical hybrid (the 'power' came mainly from the Bruce Dickinson style vox) - they had some cool bass stuff too iirc, if that's what you're interested in.

Soilwork + rating

Tracks:
Stabbing the drama 15/10
Nerve 11/10
Like the average stalker 9.3/10
Whever thorns may grow 8.9/10
Fate in motion 8.2/10
Distance 7.9/10
Natural Born Chaos 7.3/10

Dawn of Relic - Night on Earth

Great band that class themselves as 'Dark' Metal, which roughly translates to a mix of power, black and death. It works well, very well.

No one can defeat ManoWar:

B000005RF7.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Let the blood of posers fill the streets.

1349-Hellfire

if you like BM, try these guys out. :)
you wont be dissappointed

What turned me off 1349 was the bloody awful guitar sound on Liberation. There's raw and then there's stupid, and it was stupid.

Back