Are you romantic?

Why, can't one be in a relationship without having to be head over heels in love?

Real relationships are born out of casual ones. Without starting off with just a bit of fun, how do you know if you both want more?

-Angry Lawyer

Real relationships start out when both sides have already been heartbroken.

One can, but it's silly and meaningless.

It isn't silly, it's fun. Sometimes being silly IS fun. You can't go through life without being a bit silly :).

It's also not meaningless. If you're talking about love, sometimes you like someone and have a relationship with them, and then you find out that you don't love them. Sometimes relationships are just about being with someone you have fun with, and who you care about. Also relationships are sometimes about sex. You don't have to be in love to have sex, and a "casual" relationship allows some people to express our sexuality in a way which they feel comfortable with.

It isn't silly, it's fun. Sometimes being silly IS fun. You can't go through life without being a bit silly :).

It's also not meaningless. If you're talking about love, sometimes you like someone and have a relationship with them, and then you find out that you don't love them. Sometimes relationships are just about being with someone you have fun with, and who you care about. Also relationships are sometimes about sex. You don't have to be in love to have sex, and a "casual" relationship allows some people to express our sexuality in a way which they feel comfortable with.

This.

I'm shallow and selfish.

The bitches should consider themselves lucky enough to know me.

What's wrong with being silly? I like being silly. Silly is fun.

Casual relationships are basically prostitution for free IMO.

But then again, I'm weird.

Casual sex is great, you just have to make sure you use the right precautions and that you won't mind waking up with that person the following day.

-Angry Lawyer

Too much for my own liking (which isn't a whole lot). Though when things work the way you want them to its awesome :D

Casual relationships are basically prostitution for free IMO.

That's not really an opinion is it?

I mean, if prostitution is sex for money, and you take away the money, it's just sex.

"Sex is basically sex for money, except without the money part."

Well duh?

His comparison is wrong, anyway. Casual relationships can be awesome fun. Sex isn't ALL there is to a relationship.

Basides I think you'd be hard pressed to find a casual lover who was into ****ing but not kissing.

His comparison is wrong, anyway. Casual relationships can be awesome fun. Sex isn't ALL there is to a relationship.

Isn't that the point of the casual relationship? Sex without strings attached? It's shallow.

Because cheomesh has a lot of experience with those.

I only like meaningful relationships. I like to think that this is part of the sentient line between man and beast.

I like to think i'm pretty romantic. I've done some stuff i'd consider romantic, but I don't want to flatter myself and say that I AM romantic.

One can, but it's silly and meaningless.

And that's the sort of mentality that'll leave you single for all your life.

My ideal date, is showing up at a girls house at 12 midnight, driving with her out into the middle of some neighborhood we've never even heard of, getting out of the car and just wandering around the neighborhood whilst passing a joint back and forth between the two of us, and then fall asleep in each other's arms in the middle of a public park.

Yes, i'm gay.

I take her out to dinner and then **** her in the ass.

I'm a god damn gentleman.

Isn't that the point of the casual relationship? Sex without strings attached? It's shallow.
No, I imagine it could be somewhere between friendship and love on the scale of things. It's just two peeps choosing to have a good time, completely different from animal motivations. It's nowhere near as dirty as you make it sound. Certainly a more enjoyable way to spend time than watching TV etc.

I used to be extremely romantic, but then I realized girls always say they want that, then go for the guys that beat em and throw them down stairs, so I said, "fk it."

I only like meaningful relationships. I like to think that this is part of the sentient line between man and beast.

Not really. Man isn't the only monogamous animal. We're just the only ones with birth control.

I don't see what's wrong with sex for fun. Look at the bonobos. Bonobos are the most virile little buggers in existence. And they're rather less violent than chimps too.

I'm aware we're not the only monogamous animal. The bald eagle, my favorite bird, is too. As well as penguins etc...point is, meaningless sex/casual sex/etc just goes to show you're not even mature enough to be having sex I think. The last thing our society needs is a bunch of people who would bug out on each other the second something unexpected happens.

I'm aware we're not the only monogamous animal. The bald eagle, my favorite bird, is too. As well as penguins etc...point is, meaningless sex/casual sex/etc just goes to show you're not even mature enough to be having sex I think. The last thing our society needs is a bunch of people who would bug out on each other the second something unexpected happens.

You're missing one crucial point. Humans are not monogamous.

Second, if you're anything but casual, you'll scare them all away years before you ever get to the stage of a "meaningful" relationship. Except the clingy desperate ones.

Do you want to look forward to a lifetime of Meg Griffin?

family-guy-meg-griffin6.jpg

DO YA?

No, I imagine it could be somewhere between friendship and love on the scale of things. It's just two peeps choosing to have a good time, completely different from animal motivations. It's nowhere near as dirty as you make it sound. Certainly a more enjoyable way to spend time than watching TV etc.

This.

My first casual relationship was born out of a close friendship with a friend of mine. We're not lovers but we're not sluts either, in fact it's pretty much like your average close friends who just happen to do something extra.

'Meaningful' relationships sounds great and all in theory, but in practice, few actually amount to that. Casual relationships help you cut out the bullshit and just enjoy ourselves.

Okay... so when exactly is sex permissible to you?

...point is, meaningless sex/casual sex/etc just goes to show you're not even mature enough to be having sex I think.
No, that's not true. There's nothing immature about two responsible parties accepting that they would simply like to have sex with each other (obviously that's not always how it happens). Similarly, there's nothing fundamentally mature about relationships. And both can cause emotional complications or be conducted irrisponsibly, stupidly, callously, immaturely.

I think it's simply that I view a relationship as more than just a means to an end. The ultimate goal isn't to have sex, so I don't think that a casual relationship just "cuts out all the bullshit." I don't even understand why you think you can't have a meaningful relationship before a casual one. Did you know that it is actually possible for two people to fall in love without intercourse? Amazing, isn't it.

Sorry to state the obvious, but something is only meaningful when it has meaning. You can't just start a meaningful relationship, it has to develop into one.
You don't walk up to someone and ask if they'd like to spend the rest of their lives with you...

Do you honestly think I'm such an idiot that I don't know that?

Well how can you have a meaningful relationship before a casual one? A relationship - ANY kind of relationship in life that isn't a result of being forced together by circumstance - has to be casual in order to become meaningful.

I think our definitions are different. By casual relationship, I simply mean a relationship where one uses the other for "carnal pleasures" and little else; the thing serves only as an excuse to have sex. By meaningful relationship, I mean one in which love is a mutual feeling between both parties and there are intentions of continuing the relationship for a significant period of time (i.e. years). Under those definitions, I really don't think it's necessary in the least to knock somebody up before you start caring for them. I've seen it happen plenty of times.

Ah, right.
It's not necessarily a requirement, but sex is a bonding mechanism. And love only comes in way after lust. New relationships are supposed to be full of sex and passion, it's part of that whole craving process. It only becomes secondary later on. Why cut all that out?
You can't have that intention without first discovering whether that person is worth spending years with, after all. And that's not an overnight process.

Back